The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by samba
Do you buy factory farmed meat?

Silly question, obviously not..
Reply 121
Original post by Carol R. Lawson
HM Government e-petitions: The petition 'Protect religious slaughter in the UK and EU' has reached 134,389 signatures!!! :smile:)

This e-petition has received the following response:

As this e-petition has received more than 10 000 signatures, the relevant Government department have provided the following response:
The Government encourages the highest standards of welfare at slaughter and would prefer to see all animals stunned before they are slaughtered for food. However, we also respect the rights of the Jewish and Muslim communities to eat meat prepared in accordance with their religious beliefs. The Prime Minister has confirmed that that there would be no ban on religious slaughter in the UK.
Council Regulation 1099/2009, on the protection of animals at time of killing, and the Welfare of Animals (Slaughter or Killing) Regulations 1995 permit slaughter without stunning to be carried out in accordance with religious rites. Within both regulations there are strict requirements on where, how and who can slaughter animals in accordance with religious rites. These requirements are monitored and enforced by Official Veterinarians (OV) of the Food Standards Agency (FSA) to ensure that animals are spared unnecessary suffering, distress or pain during the slaughter process.
This e-petition remains open to signatures and will be considered for debate by the Backbench Business Committee should it pass the 100 000 signature threshold.

I'm not Muslim just an ordinary British schoolgirl, but if you wish to protect Halal+kosher methods of animal slaughter for the meat we all eat anyway, + oppose racially + culturally insensitive bigoted ppl who want to BAN it in the uk, please sign + share like mad!!! thank you xxx
Sign against banning Halal etc!!! :smile:) - http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/74830

Created by:Mohammed Amin
Original post by Carol R. Lawson
HM Government e-petitions: The petition 'Protect religious slaughter in the UK and EU' has reached 134,389 signatures!!! :smile:)

This e-petition has received the following response:

As this e-petition has received more than 10 000 signatures, the relevant Government department have provided the following response:
The Government encourages the highest standards of welfare at slaughter and would prefer to see all animals stunned before they are slaughtered for food. However, we also respect the rights of the Jewish and Muslim communities to eat meat prepared in accordance with their religious beliefs. The Prime Minister has confirmed that that there would be no ban on religious slaughter in the UK.
Council Regulation 1099/2009, on the protection of animals at time of killing, and the Welfare of Animals (Slaughter or Killing) Regulations 1995 permit slaughter without stunning to be carried out in accordance with religious rites. Within both regulations there are strict requirements on where, how and who can slaughter animals in accordance with religious rites. These requirements are monitored and enforced by Official Veterinarians (OV) of the Food Standards Agency (FSA) to ensure that animals are spared unnecessary suffering, distress or pain during the slaughter process.
This e-petition remains open to signatures and will be considered for debate by the Backbench Business Committee should it pass the 100 000 signature threshold.

I'm not Muslim just an ordinary British schoolgirl, but if you wish to protect Halal+kosher methods of animal slaughter for the meat we all eat anyway, + oppose racially + culturally insensitive bigoted ppl who want to BAN it in the uk, please sign + share like mad!!! thank you xxx
Sign against banning Halal etc!!! :smile:) - http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/74830

I don't care how animals are killed, but to say protests against halal and kosher food is racist is unbelievably stupid.
Original post by Jimmy_M
So now its racist to protect animals from being hung by their legs and having their throats cut, slowly letting them bleed out until they die.. siigh

Always one isn't there :rolleyes:.
Original post by tengentoppa
I don't care how animals are killed, but to say protests against halal and kosher food is racist is unbelievably stupid.

Why?
Original post by frankieboy
Why?

Because neither Islam nor Judaism is a race.
Original post by tengentoppa
Because neither Islam nor Judaism is a race.

Ok, so what you're saying is that only one word needs adjusting slightly in your sentence?

I wouldn't call that ''incredibly stupid''. I'd call it ''Slightly innaccurate''.
Ok, so what you're saying is that only one word needs adjusting slightly in your sentence?

I wouldn't call that ''incredibly stupid''. I'd call it ''Slightly innaccurate''.

No, conflating religion and race is more than slightly inaccurate. It is an intellectually dishonest way of trying to stifle criticism of religion. It's not something that can be passed off as a slight inaccuracy.
How about if I changed it to ''Protesting against Halal and Kosher food is religious discrimination'' or similar.

The point is being slightly missed here - it being that it's not actually about cruelty to animals, it's about having a dig at Muslims.
Always one isn't there :rolleyes:.

Is there something incorrect with what I said?:biggrin:
Personally I will only eat meat where the animal has been water-boarded to death. It's my religion. If you don't respect it you are a bigoted racist.
Original post by Jimmy_M
Is there something incorrect with what I said?:biggrin:

The ''slowly'' part.
The ''slowly'' part.

Because slitting an animals throat and letting it die is so fast right? Oh wait, nah science has proven that brain activity persists for up to 2 minutes, with the animal feeling the pain during this time.
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn17972-animals-feel-the-pain-of-religious-slaughter.html#.VQTOso6sV5A
"There's always one isn't there."
Original post by Jimmy_M
Because slitting an animals throat and letting it die is so fast right? Oh wait, nah science has proven that brain activity persists for up to 2 minutes, with the animal feeling the pain during this time.

Haha nice try. But pain signals being produced in the brain does not equal pain being felt. It also says they lose conciousness after ten to thirty seconds. You telling me an unconcious animal feels pain? Or an unconcious human, come to that?

Original post by Jimmy_M
"There's always one isn't there."

Roflmao. I can imagine you rubbing your hands with glee, as you get to return my initial statement at me. Have one internet point. And a peanut.

The incredibly up to date article (2009) that you cherry picked uses clever wordplay to trick you into coming to that conclusion. Sure enough, you did. Wordplay similar to what you used in your initial statement.
Haha nice try. But pain signals being produced in the brain does not equal pain being felt. It also says they lose conciousness after ten to thirty seconds. You telling me an unconcious animal feels pain? Or an unconcious human, come to that?

Roflmao. I can imagine you rubbing your hands with glee, as you get to return my initial statement at me. Have one internet point. And a peanut.

The incredibly up to date article (2009) that you cherry picked uses clever wordplay to trick you into coming to that conclusion. Sure enough, you did. Wordplay similar to what you used in your initial statement.

THANKS MAN MEANS A LOT TO ME.. But no... I'm correct.... Let's make you unconscious and inflict pain upon you, tell me if you feel it, yeah? :smile:
Either way, so let's average it at 20 seconds the animal takes to go unconscious right? If you read the article well enough, you would discover that it states that "they stunned animals 5 seconds after incision and showed that this makes the pain signal disappear instantly."
Strange.
Banning burning unmarried women at the stake for being witches is bigoted.
Banning the stoning of gay people is bigoted.
Banning the torture of people not part of your religion for heresy is bigoted.

ps please cover your hair in the presence of men, you are being extremely bigoted and racist not considering you might lead them down the path of temptation tbh xxx
Dont care how it's killed , only how it tastes. Since meat which is killed in a halal/kosher way tastes exactly like the non halal way. Doesn't really affect anyone.
Original post by TSR Mustafa
Dont care how it's killed , only how it tastes. Since meat which is killed in a halal/kosher way tastes exactly like the non halal way. Doesn't really affect anyone.

You don't care at all about living beings suffering?
I'm a staunch advocate for animal rights myself after witnessing some traumatizing scenes when I was younger but I haven't fully formed a firm opinion on this matter yet. There seems to be a lot of misinformation floating around and opinions based on assumptions which makes it more difficult.

To specifically address the claim that it's racist.. Lets not fall into the pit of political correctness, to not allow what is being deemed as a painful method of slaughter is not racist/bigoted just because it happens to go against a religious belief. Religion is not exempt from the law and to accuse the laws not bending for religions sake to be racist is absurd. As condescending as it may sound you know the type of person you're talking to when they hold those beliefs, militant lefties who hide behind the shield of progressiveness to be precise.

I personally haven't seen conclusive evidence to suggest the majority of Halal slaughter is considerably painful for the animal nor do I know the ins and outs of the slaughter process, so I'm not going to suddenly condemn it because the last accusation was that Halal food isn't stunned when it then became apparent that in fact the majority of Halal meat is coming from a stunned method of slaughter. Fyi a random video of animal abuse from a slaughter house which happens to be a Halal one is not evidence, that is not specific to Halal slaughterhouses and unfortunately is a much more wide scale problem that isn't addressed as much as it should be.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by TSR Mustafa

SO agree and I def think banning halal/kosher would be anti-multicultural enough to be still classed as racist as it's racially, culturally + ethnically insensitive not to respect other cultural practises, particularly when their already established here in the uk.

NEWS:: :smile: Hooray! UK ministers reject banning halal slaughter! http://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/world/2015/03/07/UK-ministers-reject-call-to-ban-halal-slaughter-of-animals-.html via @AlArabiya_Eng

Latest

Trending

Trending