Computer Science at Uni without Further maths?

Watch this thread
username1831327
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I want to apply to do computer science at uni but most of the uni's i'm looking at "strongly recommend" further maths. I opted out of doing it at the beginning of as year because i was already doing 4 and i still wasn't sure what i wanted to do so i was unaware that i would need it. Is it enough to teach myself the fp modules and mention it in my personal statement that i can do them i just don't have the formal qualification? Or should I consider dropping one of my subjects after this year and do fp next year? I'm doing computing, maths, physics and chemistry at the moment :confused:
She-Ra
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by lordyP)
I want to apply to do computer science at uni but most of the uni's i'm looking at "strongly recommend" further maths. I opted out of doing it at the beginning of as year because i was already doing 4 and i still wasn't sure what i wanted to do so i was unaware that i would need it. Is it enough to teach myself the fp modules and mention it in my personal statement that i can do them i just don't have the formal qualification? Or should I consider dropping one of my subjects after this year and do fp next year? I'm doing computing, maths, physics and chemistry at the moment :confused:
Moved this to the CS uni courses forum
username1831327
Rep:
Okay thanks
acontium
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Unfortunately I applied with further maths but I also have many friends that have offers from the top unis without further maths if you have another good subject it would be okay
username1831327
Rep:
(Original post by acontium)
Unfortunately I applied with further maths but I also have many friends that have offers from the top unis without further maths if you have another good subject it would be okay
yeah they don't say it's compulsory so I think i might get away with just teaching myself some of the fp stuff so that i'm not so behind! Thank you
acontium
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Some people I know who were more worried did an AS in further maths if that's an idea?
Brubeckian
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
No chance at Imperial/Oxbridge without it.
vela1
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Brubeckian)
No chance at Imperial/Oxbridge without it.
^

Any other uni's you should be fine.
VannR
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
You can still do Comp Sci without it, but you are at a disadvantage. As others have pointed out, Further Maths is required at the top universities, and for some can get you a contextual offer e.g Warwick offer A*AA, but AAA with FM. Don't let it bother you too much though; there are still many (good/prestigious) universities which will accept you without it. Your main focus should be on your grades.
username1831327
Rep:
(Original post by acontium)
Some people I know who were more worried did an AS in further maths if that's an idea?
Yeah i could do that next year which of my current subjects do you think i should drop if i do it? It should probably be chemistry but i'd rather drop physics because I really like chemistry
acontium
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Dropping is up to you, I like physics soo
username1831327
Rep:
Does anyone recommend a good computer science uni? I've heard durham and lancaster are good?
acontium
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I applied to durham but then have been since told that it's not very well funded and not great but that's only what I got told, so take that with a pinch of salt Depends what area you'd like to go into
username1560589
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Further maths isn't compulsory at most universities.
If you're going to self-teach the further pure modules, you might as well self-teach another two-three applied modules as well and take the exams to get the A-level. If you don't want to do the applied modules, it's still a good idea to take the further pure exams and get an AS from it.
TVIO
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Does anyone recommend a good computer science uni? I've heard durham and lancaster are good?
ucl, bristol, warwick are decent.
Bigyellowduck
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Durham were kitted out with a brand new department in 2013- so not underfunded.
Did you turn down your offer from Durham acontium??
acontium
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Yes I did turn it down as I wanted a more maths based degree which they are better suited at, also from what I was told that made up a large part of my descion. Hence why I said to take with a pinch of salt
The Clockwork Apple
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
You can defo do FM in a year, I've done it :P
Alongside 4 other A2s
jamjamH
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Currently a first year computer science student at the university of Southampton. I took AS IT and then physics maths and chemistry A2, never studied any further maths in my life and got an offer to study of AAA, which I achieved spot on in maths physics and chemistry. I have capably managed the maths module in the first semester, I wouldn't worry yourself too much, it's far from compulsory

Posted from TSR Mobile
KarMa611
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
You can get into Lancaster's CS program without any Maths or science-based A Levels at all.

Your focus should be on your grades. If you get AAA with an A in Maths, regardless of your other subjects, universities will be keen on you. Getting AAA with Maths is better than ABB with Further Maths.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (61)
27.11%
As I expected (70)
31.11%
Harder (86)
38.22%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
3.56%

Watched Threads