The Student Room Group

You have a small fortune to donate to ONE charity

Hypothetically you have come into some money but you have to donate it to charity. You can only donate it to ONE charity. Which would it be. feel free to name a specific charity or just give a type or charity.

Just curious what people would go for

Scroll to see replies

If it had to be a serious charity not the "give a white boy a Rolex and Ferrari society" aimed at benefiting me I would probably endow the humanities at my college which are grossly underfunded compared to STEM subjects.
Help for Heroes. I'm a huge supporter of our soldiers and I don't believe that they get the best treatment when they leave the forces. Especially wounded soldiers who have had to leave on medical grounds. I've already donated a lot of money to this charity by buying clothes (hoodies, tshirts, pyjamas) to show my support. I think the fact that I've wanted to join the army for many years has something to do with how strongly I support the people who put their lives on the line for us :smile:
Reply 3
I love animals and would therefore donate to my local SSPCA centre. Truthfully I am a cat lady at heart but would want to help all animals and not just cats. I plan to leave money to various animal charities in my will. I also volunteer and donate to them while I'm alive too. I used my Christmas money last year to buy food and toys for my local centre. I had just recently lost one of my pets to cancer (ended up losing another a month after Christmas) and it felt right helping animals in need. I'll be doing the same this year too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
I'll start my own charity... that way I can make sure all the money goes straight to the cause.... XD
My local children's hospital. Every so so often I hear of children being refused operations on the NHS due to lack of funding which is pretty sad because children are helpless to raise funds to improve their health.
Teenage Cancer Trust, possibly. A friend of mine was diagnosed with cancer a couple of years ago. Fortunately for him he took everything in his stride and made a full recovery but others are not so lucky. He has managed to raise a whole ton of money for charity, too.
Nationaal Kruisleger. They're in the Netherlands, but they work on an international basis. Every single person there is a volunteer - including the people at the very top - because they believe that charity should be done out of care, not for money.

They offer assistance to homeless people, the elderly, abuse victims, people who are ill, people who need advice on debts, they sit with the dying should this be requested, and they send food parcels to the poor in various countries.

Whilst they are a Christian organisation, they help people regardless of faith, gender, sexual orientation, race, nationality, and they never, ever preach whilst giving aid, because they feel it's not right to do so when people are in a vulnerable situation. I respect that.
The Jessie may trust. I used to be epileptic and after a particularly bad seizure put me in hospital, I saw how much they helped the boy in the bed next to mine. They are a charity that provides support for terminally ill children and their families - anything from entertainment to giving the parents a break or offering therapy to help them deal with their situation.

Either them or Viva!, the animal rights charity. My dad works for them so maybe I am a tad biased, but they really do great work to help stop animal cruelty.
Original post by Bustamove
I'll start my own charity... that way I can make sure all the money goes straight to the cause.... XD

I think that's probably what they all said when they started out.
I'd find a worthy cause, say for example a child who desperately needs a life saving operation that the NHS won't grant, and I'd give the money straight to the family.

If that's not allowed in this hypothetical situation, then it would be a cancer charity - maybe cancer research.
Original post by Kittiara
Nationaal Kruisleger. They're in the Netherlands, but they work on an international basis. Every single person there is a volunteer - including the people at the very top - because they believe that charity should be done out of care, not for money.

That's how charity should be. :cool:
Trees for Life. They're a Scottish charity aiming to protect and restore parts of the Scottish Caledonian forest. I already donate to them regularly.
Reply 13
JC's race car fund. :smile:
the Clarkson Trust. this supports fading television personalities who have fallen on hard times. Just £2 a month can provide "Johnny"* with a cheese platter each evening.

*names have been changed to protect the guilty

I had no idea that this site existed until today, but now I do, and it is a good day.
Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation :wink:
Marie Curie hospice near me. My Gran was looked after very well there and I'm so grateful for what they did for us.
Rape crisis uk they supported ne through the worst experience of my life.

I owe my life to them

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Fathers 4 justice

Quick Reply