The Student Room Group

Article: THE World Reputation university rankings 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by CelineBean
I can't believe people actually care this much about uni rankings. I can understand if its a stressful, high achieving subject like Medicine etc, but I for one am just happy there's so much in place for me, a person from a poorer background to even have the chance to go to uni. So long as I'm happy at the uni and I enjoy my course, I don't care about university rankings.

I completely agree with you! People are too snobby about uni, at the end of the day, you're all getting a degree the same as everyone else; it doesn't matter where it comes from. What matters is you enjoy in your course and your time at uni and come out with a degree you're happy with.
Original post by physicsmaths
I live in london and cambridge is 45 minutes away.

must be what part of london then. Im west london and cambridge is 1 hr 30 mins away while Oxford is 45 mins (by car)
Original post by newblood
must be what part of london then. Im west london and cambridge is 1 hr 30 mins away while Oxford is 45 mins (by car)

Yh ofcourse different parts init. Oxford is 1 hr 45 min for me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 63
Original post by newblood

Yh ofcourse different parts init. Oxford is 1 hr 45 min for me

Posted from TSR Mobile

My measurement was from the centre of London to each university. :wink:. As the crow flies Cambridge Uni is closer. You do have a pet crow don't you?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/content/articles/2005/08/15/charingcross_feature.shtml

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Who even cares? I know quite a few people who went to a higher ranked uni simply because of the higher ranking on a league table only to dislike it as they don't really fit in, and then regretted not picking the lower ranked choice....

I think its more important to go to a uni that you actually like, rather than one that is temporarily higher ranked on a league table.
Reply 65
Original post by King Boo
Who even cares? I know quite a few people who went to a higher ranked uni simply because of the higher ranking on a league table only to dislike it as they don't really fit in, and then regretted not picking the lower ranked choice....

I think its more important to go to a uni that you actually like, rather than one that is temporarily higher ranked on a league table.

While I agree to an extent, how exactly are you supposed to know where you'll fit in before you've spent some decent time studying at that university? It's not like open days are actually representative; hindsight is a bitch :tongue:

Personally, I think it's a bit ludicrous picking a lower ranked university just on the basis that you think you might not fit in at a 'better' one (of course, not so much if you're taking into consideration other factors such as course content, location etc).
Original post by Sophi13
I completely agree with you! People are too snobby about uni, at the end of the day, you're all getting a degree the same as everyone else; it doesn't matter where it comes from. What matters is you enjoy in your course and your time at uni and come out with a degree you're happy with.

Ofcourse it matters where it comes from. Biggest load of bull**** ive heard, makes all the people who work their asses off to get into top unis look stupid.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 67
Ofcourse it matters where it comes from. Biggest load of bull**** ive heard, makes all the people who work their asses off to get into top unis look stupid.

Posted from TSR Mobile

At the end of the day, you aren't going to be given a job simply because you went to Oxford or Cambridge.
Reply 68
Original post by Sophi13
At the end of the day, you aren't going to be given a job simply because you went to Oxford or Cambridge.

No, but you may only be able to apply in the first place if you happen to go to Oxford or Cambridge :lol:
Reply 69
Original post by Noble.
No, but you may only be able to apply in the first place if you happen to go to Oxford or Cambridge :lol:

Well as someone from a low income background, I wouldn't want to go for a job where people are snobby about education.
Reply 70
Original post by Sophi13
Well as someone from a low income background, I wouldn't want to go for a job where people are snobby about education.

What has a low income background got to do with anything? I'm from a low-income background as well. If you don't want to go for a job where people are snobby about education you can pretty much rule out a career in banking/consulting/law.
Original post by Sophi13

Isn't that cutting off your nose to spite your face?
Original post by Sophi13

Im from a low income background, google barking and dagenham worst area in britain it has been voted. They call ' us' snobby because we wanted a brilliant education and worked very hard to get in. Unbelivable honestly. What does you last sentence even mean?
I say 'us' because i havent met my cambridge offer yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 73
Original post by Noble.
What has a low income background got to do with anything? I'm from a low-income background as well. If you don't want to go for a job where people are snobby about education you can pretty much rule out a career in banking/consulting/law.

Low income students are less likely to be accepted into top prestigious universities than others, primarily due to the private feeder schools. As for me, I don't want a career where people are discriminated against because of what uni they go to.
Reply 74
Original post by nulli tertius
Isn't that cutting off your nose to spite your face?

If I'm not going to be happy there, no it's not.
Original post by Sophi13

The thing is oxford and cambridge will on average produce better graduates and the courses will be better then any other place. A degree in maths at london met uni does not equal a degree in maths at cambridge. If you think it does you are seriously deluded.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sophi13
Low income students are less likely to be accepted into top prestigious universities than others, primarily due to the private feeder schools. As for me, I don't want a career where people are discriminated against because of what uni they go to.

Not dirscrimination its because on average they are smarter and better then the other graduates from other unis.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 77
Original post by Sophi13

Your first point is true, but there are plenty of people here at Oxford from low income backgrounds, it doesn't have to be a barrier.

You do realise that there are actually massive differences in the difficulty of a degree, depending on where you go. So while you may not want to go into a career where people are discriminated against because of the university they attended, it's perfectly reasonable to discriminate against people based on the university they went to - especially if the career is highly pressured and competitive.
Reply 78
Original post by Sophi13
If I'm not going to be happy there, no it's not.

How do you know you wouldn't be happy at a top university?
Original post by Noble.
How do you know you wouldn't be happy at a top university?

Leave it, this person is just brainwashed and thinks everyone who goes oxbridge are in the royal family

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending