The Student Room Group

Rejected from Oxford and extremely depressed....

I'm pretty sure there are a lot of people in a similar position to me/similar background who will read this which partially explains my reasons for posting.

It's been my dream since I was young to study at Oxford, it was mainly drilled into me from my parents and relatives. I put in so so so much effort in my GCSE's and A-levels over the last couple of years and now feel as though it's all gone to waste. I had everything, amazing grades, PS, extra curricular's, yet they still rejected me. :frown::frown::frown:

Both my parents are Oxford grads. So were my grandparents on both sides. My cousin is studying at Oxford (he is the same age as me) - which makes it even worse. I am the eldest son and my parents put so much effort into me. My dad said he's still proud of me, but I know for sure he's disappointed inside.

My mood has been so low since the rejection...it's been nearly two months and I'm still depressed.
Any advice?
Anyone been in a similar position?

And no I can't reapply, I'm already a gap year student :frown::frown::frown:
There is an element of luck in acceptance. But life goes on, you'll see. Besides, all that work enriched you on the inside.
Original post by EdCohen
I'm pretty sure there are a lot of people in a similar position to me/similar background who will read this which partially explains my reasons for posting.

It's been my dream since I was young to study at Oxford, it was mainly drilled into me from my parents and relatives. I put in so so so much effort in my GCSE's and A-levels over the last couple of years and now feel as though it's all gone to waste. I had everything, amazing grades, PS, extra curricular's, yet they still rejected me. :frown::frown::frown:

Both my parents are Oxford grads. So were my grandparents on both sides. My cousin is studying at Oxford (he is the same age as me) - which makes it even worse. I am the eldest son and my parents put so much effort into me. My dad said he's still proud of me, but I know for sure he's disappointed inside.

My mood has been so low since the rejection...it's been nearly two months and I'm still depressed.
Any advice?

If it helps, I'm at Oxford now (sitting exams next week) and my friends and I aren't exactly cheerful at the moment either. The obsession with Oxbridge in this country is just so unhealthy.

There are many, many, many, many disadvantages to going to Oxford. It's great in many ways, but it's not some kind of heavenly utopia. Just focus on enjoying your university experience wherever you end up.
Try Imperial/LSE
Original post by EdCohen

Any advice?

Are you good at sports?

If so, try for a top US uni, the likes of HYSPM.

As for failing to get into Oxford, accept it as part of life.

When Arsenal were unbeaten for the entire season did they realistically expect in the following season to maintain their unbeaten record? If so, did they expect NEVER to be beaten again? Of course not.

Say by age of 30, you are in a job paying a £100,000. Assuming your parents, grandparents and cousin (who all went to Oxford) were / will be on less, how would you feel?

Oxford is not the be all and end all.
Reply 5
Try America, as another poster has said.

Or UCL, etc. Honestly, I wouldn't worry. I know it's hard, and I know you're disappointed. I was rejected from the Cambridge pool back in 08. I then had to drop out of Nottingham due to horrible chronic illness, and start again at a local crappy polytechnic. I transferred to a low-russell group. Got firsts. Now off to Cambridge for a PhD.

Work hard and you'll get there. The most important thing is to keep trying. You'll only fail if you give up.
Original post by EdCohen
it was mainly drilled into me from my parents and relatives.

This is not a healthy. Its good to have dreams but not this level of pressure.
As difficult as this may be , you have to look forward. Think about all the others Universities you have applied for and get going to one of them. When your there Oxford will feel like a mere passing thought.
What did you apply for?

You could always go after your undergraduate and do a masters or dphil?

Did you get an interview, or a pre-interview rejection?
Have you heard of the Serenity Prayer? 'God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, The courage to change the things I can, And the wisdom to know the difference.' There's nothing you can do about Oxford now, there's no point dwelling on it. Forget about it, move on, and look forward to wherever you will end up.
A childhood dream is probably not the best reason to choose a university because you might not actually consider whether the course and uni are right for you. And family pressure is definitely not the right reason.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending