The Student Room Group

Do I need GCSE's?

I moved away from the UK when I was 7 years old. I now live in Europe and grew up going to school here. Unfortunately taking the GCSE exams at my school was not an option. I am now out of school and looking to sit A Level exams (even though I'm a bit older than normal students). I was wondering if it really is necessary for me to sit GCSE exams first. I studied the subjects I want to take as A Levels in my school years and if possible I'd like to not have to sit the GCSE's as well. (Subjects include Maths, English x2, German, French, History, Geography) I'd really appreciate if someone could help me out!
How old are you now? What qualifications do you have already? If you have something that equates to GCSE then you almost certainly won't have to do them. Contact the school/college you'd like to go to and ask what they'll accept.
Reply 2
Original post by Duncan2012
How old are you now? What qualifications do you have already? If you have something that equates to GCSE then you almost certainly won't have to do them. Contact the school/college you'd like to go to and ask what they'll accept.

I'm 18 at the moment. I live in Switzerland but don't have the Matura which would be the equivalent to A Levels I believe. The thing is I've only finished my 9 years of school and we don't have exams at the end so really I have nothing. I'm not sure if finishing 9 years of school is similar to sitting a GCSE exam. And I'm currently looking for schools and colleges that allow students to sit A level exams (if I find one I'll email them and ask).
Could you get a transcript from your school listing the curriculum you studied with dates and grades? That would go a long way to persuade the UK school that you don't need to do GCSEs. Is there a particular reason that you're looking at A-levels rather than the Matura?

Quick Reply

Latest