The Student Room Group

Best way to introduce a comparative essay?

Hey so I have to write a comparative essay on two articles and I would like some assistance how how to structure an introduction so that it really grasps the reader's interest (only my teacher lol :smile: ) can anyone give me some advice?
Original post by KMcCaffrey
Hey so I have to write a comparative essay on two articles and I would like some assistance how how to structure an introduction so that it really grasps the reader's interest (only my teacher lol :smile: ) can anyone give me some advice?

Is this by any chance 'Center Parcs' and 'Would you take your child on holiday' controlled assessment reading task?)
Reply 2
Original post by 011ibrabdu
Is this by any chance 'Center Parcs' and 'Would you take your child on holiday' controlled assessment reading task?)

ah no lol it's about a newspaper article and a historical entertainment event leaflet
(edited 9 years ago)
I'd briefly describe the contents of each article, and then go on to the comparison. :smile:
Well...start with 'Both sources...' and then make a brief point in what they both have in common. Then carry on with 'However, Source 1 ( then mention the source's name) is ??? whereas Source 2 ( then mention the source's name) is (mention difference).

Example:
Both sources are written for a teenage audience. However, source 1 (whateveritscalled) is primarily targeted at middle-class parents whereas source 2(whateveritscalled) is targeted at affluent, educated parents.

That is sort of on the lines of mine...which was half a year ago. It was on family holidays...one was a debate article and the other a promotional poster. I had to compare them
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by KMcCaffrey

Well you could start off by planning- write down the similarities and differences.
Use the question for both texts to link them together, and explore how the texts do it using different techniques - e.g structure, form, language.
I would say it's best to introduce the two articles, and most importantly where they digress.

For example;

Article A is an article about [Insert here]. Article A proposes that [Insert here]. Contrastingly, Article B suggests that [Insert here] and is an article about [Insert here].

By doing this you're not just describing, but outlining the actual discussion.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending