Immobilised enzyme - surface area/bead size changes? A2 BIOLOGY COURSEWORK

Watch this thread
beccavettel
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I'm doing the effect of surface area on rate of rate using immobilised enzymes. I'm struggling with writing the research and rationale section.
I think I need to write about collision theory to explain why the surface area increasing would speed up the reaction? But everything I find on collision theory is about changing the surface area of the reactant rather than the enzyme?

Any help would be great
Thanks
Joshalos
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
If you are changing the size of the bead, you are increasing the surface area of the bead, not the enzyme itself. You cannot increase an enzymes surface area since it is a fixed structure, with a specific active site. By increasing the surface area of the bead, what you are actually doing is increasing the number of immobilised enzymes.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (18)
28.57%
As I expected (18)
28.57%
Harder (24)
38.1%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
4.76%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed