princesspirate
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello,

Just wondering is it just your undergraduate the teacher training providers look at for the financial assistance or do they look at masters?

For example, if you have a 2.1 undergraduate but a 1.1 masters will the amount increase for primary?

Thanks for any insight to this you may have.
beanbrain
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'd be interested to know the answer to this, but by the looks of the table they DfE published on the website, it appears that they offer the same for a 2:1 and for a Masters, because there is no specification of level for the Masters on the table.
princesspirate
Rep:
?
Yeah, it's just because I read on the explanatory document that if you've a 3rd and a masters you're assessed as if you've a 2.2. Similarly, if you've a 2.2 and a masters you're assessed as though it's a 2.1! So it's only fair if you've a 2.1 and a masters, especially a 1.1 masters you get assessed on that basis. What do you think? It's my understanding that the providers calculate the amount. So maybe if we present that to them?
beanbrain
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well you could give it a go... but I'm doubtful that it will work! You know what the government is like - only wanting to pay out the bare minimum that they have to pay out!!!
princesspirate
Rep:
?
(Original post by beanbrain)
Well you could give it a go... but I'm doubtful that it will work! You know what the government is like - only wanting to pay out the bare minimum that they have to pay out!!!

I was just was sharing my understanding of the system… I think it isunfair that any grade masters grade masters brings up every grade degree exceptfor 2.1. A 2.1 cannot be raised to a 1.1 for calculation. And on what arbitrarycalculation is a masters the same as a 2.1? Do you get me?
beanbrain
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by princesspirate)
I was just was sharing my understanding of the system… I think it isunfair that any grade masters grade masters brings up every grade degree exceptfor 2.1. A 2.1 cannot be raised to a 1.1 for calculation. And on what arbitrarycalculation is a masters the same as a 2.1? Do you get me?
I do see your point, and to an extent I agree with it.
princesspirate
Rep:
?
I do see your point, and to an extent I agree with it.
Oh, I thought this was something you wanted insight on aswell. May I ask to what extent you do not agree with it?

If anybody else has any actual experience with this point it would be appreciated.

Thanks!
beanbrain
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by princesspirate)
Oh, I thought this was something you wanted insight on aswell. May I ask to what extent you do not agree with it?

If anybody else has any actual experience with this point it would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Well I would like insight into the system, since I am affected by the way they choose to calculate bursary levels and so forth.

However, as much as it takes extra work to achieve a Masters degree, and therefore it is seen as a better qualification than a 2:1 undergrad degree, they have to draw a line somewhere, and it is generally agreed that a PhD is a better qualification than a Masters. For people applying with a PhD, it could be seen as unfair to them that they are not distinguished from someone with "only" a Masters (please note, I neither agree nor disagree with this viewpoint, I am only looking at it from various sides of the argument).

I also can see that it would become a huge amount more complicated if they have to differentiate between people based on every separate qualification they hold. In my eyes, levelling a 2:1 and a Masters the same and a 1st and a PhD the same is just a simple way of awarding bursaries, no matter how "fair" the system is.

It would be really interesting to know from anyone who has been in a similar situation what happened to them!
princesspirate
Rep:
?
Well I would like insight into the system, since I am affected by the way they choose to calculate bursary levels and so forth.

However, as much as it takes extra work to achieve a Masters degree, and therefore it is seen as a better qualification than a 2:1 undergrad degree, they have to draw a line somewhere, and it is generally agreed that a PhD is a better qualification than a Masters. For people applying with a PhD, it could be seen as unfair to them that they are not distinguished from someone with "only" a Masters (please note, I neither agree nor disagree with this viewpoint, I am only looking at it from various sides of the argument).

I also can see that it would become a huge amount more complicated if they have to differentiate between people based on every separate qualification they hold. In my eyes, levelling a 2:1 and a Masters the same and a 1st and a PhD the same is just a simple way of awarding bursaries, no matter how "fair" the system is.

It would be really interesting to know from anyone who has been in a similar situation what happened to them!

Yes, actually you are right on the PhD thing. I guess in my tunnel vision I did not think about that. My only issue I guess is that lower degrees can be "bumped up" with a masters, however a 2.1 can not! But such is the system I guess... and getting a bursary is a huge help- no matter what the amount!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (237)
66.76%
No (118)
33.24%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise