The Student Room Group

AMA: Non-target to London BB to Top PE

Hi all

I did a similar thing on Wall Street Oasis and I was able to help a few people out - would love to do the same here if I can!

In 2013 I joined a PE firm in London after 3 years in IBD at a bulge bracket. I had a very non-traditional background but managed to secure a job at the BB. I also did a hell of a lot of recruiting for the BB over my 3 years so am well placed to answer any and all questions you may have.

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Guide us through your story:

A level results? Uni performance / ECs / Networking?

Why didn't you go to a target/semi-target? What was your degree discipline? Do you have any regrets in joining IB? What do you look for in a candidate (for the BB)?
I went to uni in the US actually. My school was a semi-target over there but no one over here has heard of it. I performed OK in Uni (2:1 equivalent in finance) and had strong ECs, but had no relevant internships. I didn't go to a target because at the age of 16-18 I had no idea what banking / finance was! After uni I came to the UK where I worked at a small company for a year doing menial tasks and decided I wanted to do banking. I worked my ass off networking, applying, and preparing for interviews. I actually applied to like 70+ places straight through the websites, got 5-7 interviews, and got the first / best one so cancelled the rest.

I spent 3 years in M&A, interviewed at a load of funds, and ended up getting a job at a megafund. Do I regret going into M&A? Not at all. It's incredibly intense but you learn a hell of a lot - most importantly how to work hard! It is very difficult, if not impossible, to get a job at a good fund without M&A (or MBB consulting) experience, and the 2-3 year analyst stint puts your career on a great / accelerated trajectory.

What do I look for? In an intern or first year analyst the most important thing is attitude. Is this person going to want to work to midnight every night, often doing boring work just because they are hungry and want to learn? There is obviously a certain degree of intelligence required, but if you got an interview then I can assume you have met that threshold. So yeah, I'd say attitude, enthusiam, and willingness to learn are the most important things...assuming you have a base level of intelligence.
What would you say is the best way to learn financial modeling?
What valuation (or finance) book is best?
Original post by 96jaimin96
What would you say is the best way to learn financial modeling?
What valuation (or finance) book is best?

To learn modelling: there are a few good online programs. Wall street prep is good but very involved. Breaking into wall street is cheap, easy, and qiuck. Will give you a great idea of the fundamentals. Wall street training is expensive but very good.

Books: People like the Pearl / Rosenbaum book but I much prefer the Scoop guide to investment banking.
What things can I do on an internship to stand out for conversion?
Reply 6
Original post by compinvbanker
Hi all

I did a similar thing on Wall Street Oasis and I was able to help a few people out - would love to do the same here if I can!

In 2013 I joined a PE firm in London after 3 years in IBD at a bulge bracket. I had a very non-traditional background but managed to secure a job at the BB. I also did a hell of a lot of recruiting for the BB over my 3 years so am well placed to answer any and all questions you may have.

Thanks!

Thanks for taking the time to do this.

Interested in what sort of things you got asked in your PE interviews?
Original post by Abdul-Karim
What things can I do on an internship to stand out for conversion?

Basically everything I said above about what we look for in a hire:

What do I look for? In an intern or first year analyst the most important thing is attitude. Is this person going to want to work to midnight every night, often doing boring work just because they are hungry and want to learn? There is obviously a certain degree of intelligence required, but if you got an interview then I can assume you have met that threshold. So yeah, I'd say attitude, enthusiam, and willingness to learn are the most important things...assuming you have a base level of intelligence.

It's all about enthusiasm as an intern. Be first one in, last to leave. I know this is a bit silly but makes a difference. Shave if you're a man, dress nicely. Always look presentable, fresh, and ready to work / learn. Never complain.
Original post by MAINE.
Thanks for taking the time to do this.

Interested in what sort of things you got asked in your PE interviews?

PE interviews are very variable depending on the place, but generally consist of:

- 1st round with 2 - 4 interviews
- 3-5 hour LBO case study
- "Final" round with 2 - 4 interviews
- "Final" final round with everyone else from the team you haven't met

This can all take between 2 weeks and 6 months, and is highly dependent on the team and fund.

Most people I know who are on the buyside interviewed with 10 - 20 shops, and this includes the rockstars. It's not easy.

The questions...haha. They make banking questions look incredibly easy. Basically your knowledge of basic corporate finance and accounting has to be **** hot. Modelling has to be spot on. You have to know every detail about every deal you mention on your CV. Like everything. You mention a sell side of a medical devices company?

How does the company make money? Walk me through the model line by line with approximate figures, margins, growth rates, assumptions. What are the raw materials involved? What happens to each line of your model if the price of steel goes up 20%? How are they distributed? Are the trucks used to distribute leased or owned? Are the factories leased or owned? And crucially, would you invest and why? And much more like this.

I actually developed a framework for looking at investments that was incredibly useful and I've been considering publishing it along with my LBO template that I recreated for my interviews. Basically every single interview will assess how you look at investments. The question will come in many different forms, but the answer will always be the same (go straight to the framework). They could say: would you invest in company X? company A has ND of 1x, company B has ND of 3x, which one would you invest in? how do you think about a business? Or it will come from your case study...and the answer always goes back to the framework.
Hi all

Thanks!

I feel like everyone follows the PE route. I was wondering if you knew of any other routes people had gone down, perhaps not so traditional?

I feel like I'd rather do something Corporate Development related and probably find it more interesting for me. Is that a suitable route to go down if you want to progress at a corporate? Do you have any insight into things like this?

Also, for you, was there nothing that made you think you'd like to stay in IBD?

That aside, whatever route you go down, how valuable do you think it is to gain professional qualifications - what would you recommend? Thinking about specifically MBA, CIMA, CFA, ACCA etc. Let's say assuming you went IBD to Corporate Development etc.

Finally, any advice for incoming IBD interns? Maybe more on the little things rather than the generic online things?

^ I recognise that's quite a lot to ask but thanks in advance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by will2348
I feel like everyone follows the PE route. I was wondering if you knew of any other routes people had gone down, perhaps not so traditional?

I feel like I'd rather do something Corporate Development related and probably find it more interesting for me. Is that a suitable route to go down if you want to progress at a corporate? Do you have any insight into things like this?

Also, for you, was there nothing that made you think you'd like to stay in IBD?

That aside, whatever route you go down, how valuable do you think it is to gain professional qualifications - what would you recommend? Thinking about specifically MBA, CIMA, CFA, ACCA etc. Let's say assuming you went IBD to Corporate Development etc.

Finally, any advice for incoming IBD interns? Maybe more on the little things rather than the generic online things?

^ I recognise that's quite a lot to ask but thanks in advance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sure, people go down all kinds of routes. I know people who have gone to corporate development, growth equity, venture capital, start-ups, Google and some who have just quit altogether and travelled for a couple of years. Banking (IBD specifically) gives you a great foundation for any job in the business world, and completing the 2-3 year analyst stint is almost like a badge of honour that everyone respects (and will open doors).

The move from IBD to corpdev is pretty easy. The route up internally from corpdev would be variable and firm dependent, but I think it is very well respected at most firms. Ultimately, however, if you want to progress at a corporate you will want to work for an operational division of that corporate and start running projects and then ultimately divisions / businesses. But I think it's very common at a corporate to spend a couple of years in corpdev and then go to work for an operational division. There is a good degree of flexibility in most corporates and they understand that people will want to move around every few years to stay interested. This also lets their employees see all of the various parts of the business.

Professional qualifications are OK but not necessary, for IBD at least. Probably not worth it. If you want to work for a corporate I imagine ACCA would pigeonhole you. If you want to work for a startup or be a CFO one day then an ACCA is a great asset. CFA is only a requiment really for asset managers and those involved with investment (although not important for PE or hedge fund investing). MBA is very expensive and I only recommend it for career changers: i.e., I have spent 4 years as a consultant and I want to go to banking...I will do an MBA (at a top school only) and use their career services to get a role in banking.

Anything that made me think I'd like to stay in IBD? Sure. The money is good, it's fast-paced, the work can be interesting (especially now that things have picked up). But after 2-3 years as analyst you need a break!

I've pretty much given my advice to interns above, including some . To reiterate (with a few additions):

It's all about enthusiasm as an intern. Be first one in, last to leave. I know this is a bit silly but makes a difference. Shave if you're a man. Dress nicely but not over the top - ie no braces, don't wear a rolex. Always look presentable, fresh, and ready to work / learn. Never complain or push back.
g.
What are typical daily hours in BO/MO/FO respectively?

And how often, if ever, do u work weekends.

How do hours vary from analyst to associate to VP?

And really how do you show you are willing to work midnights in an interview..
Original post by newblood

In IB, typical daily hours for an analyst are 10-12. Maybe a 10pm per week but also a 3am per week. Probably 8hrs over the weekend. Of course this varies highly. In the summer you may be working 10-8 for a few weeks...but on a live deal you may working 10-3am for 20 days in a row.

As an associate it gets a little better, probably 10-10 with little weekend work. The same as above though - it is variable and if you are a deal you may get killed.

VP maybe 9-8/9 with no weekend work typically. Maybe a couple of weekends per year.

These figures are all for the team I was on. Others may (and do) work more or less.

No idea about middle office / back office hours. I'd imagine 9-6.

You show you are willing to work late not by saying it, but by demonstrating you are enthusiastic about the job and are keen to learn as much as possible. This equates to you working hard. If you come across as a person who just wants to do banking to go to PE or just because everyone else is doing it or it's the logical next step...then you will clearly resent those late nights.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 13
Hi all

Thanks!

Which uni in the US?
Would you say the work experience is better in the US or UK? What about wages?
How far can a HBS/Top BS MBA bring you?

Original post by Stark95
Which uni in the US?
Would you say the work experience is better in the US or UK? What about wages?
How far can a HBS/Top BS MBA bring you?

I'd rather not say the uni to retain my anonymity.

I think there are probably more deals in the US. Also, it is all very US focused which is good (standardised accounting) but may get a little dull. In London we are more global and spend a lot of time looking at exciting growing regions such as Asia and Eastern Europe. Wages are similar, maybe slightly better in US given most banks are HQ there and the current strength of the USD!

A top MBA can get you a job at a top bank...but so can a target undergrad degree. MBA is more useful for people who want to change careers.
Reply 15
I'd rather not say the uni to retain my anonymity.

I think there are probably more deals in the US. Also, it is all very US focused which is good (standardised accounting) but may get a little dull. In London we are more global and spend a lot of time looking at exciting growing regions such as Asia and Eastern Europe. Wages are similar, maybe slightly better in US given most banks are HQ there and the current strength of the USD!

A top MBA can get you a job at a top bank...but so can a target undergrad degree. MBA is more useful for people who want to change careers.

Okay that's interesting. I have an offer from Edinburgh for Econ and Phil, how good/bad would you say my position is when aiming at banks such as Jp Morgan and Goldman? ( knowing they rate pedigree so high )

Also how do people such as Mark Carny (and Bernanke? I am not sure )manage to go from
top banking positions to top government ( still banking thou ) positions?
Original post by Stark95
Okay that's interesting. I have an offer from Edinburgh for Econ and Phil, how good/bad would you say my position is when aiming at banks such as Jp Morgan and Goldman? ( knowing they rate pedigree so high )

Also how do people such as Mark Carny (and Bernanke? I am not sure )manage to go from
top banking positions to top government ( still banking thou ) positions?

Edinburgh is a great school and you should be able to get a job anywhere from there.

I haven't thought much about those guys and how they made the move to government. I suppose at the higest levels of finance (CEO of major banks) the job is very intimately linked with the government, so it's not a huge step.
Original post by newblood

Just quoting you because I can't reply to your PM as your inbox is full.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sure, people go down all kinds of routes. I know people who have gone to corporate development, growth equity, venture capital, start-ups, Google and some who have just quit altogether and travelled for a couple of years. Banking (IBD specifically) gives you a great foundation for any job in the business world, and completing the 2-3 year analyst stint is almost like a badge of honour that everyone respects (and will open doors).

The move from IBD to corpdev is pretty easy. The route up internally from corpdev would be variable and firm dependent, but I think it is very well respected at most firms. Ultimately, however, if you want to progress at a corporate you will want to work for an operational division of that corporate and start running projects and then ultimately divisions / businesses. But I think it's very common at a corporate to spend a couple of years in corpdev and then go to work for an operational division. There is a good degree of flexibility in most corporates and they understand that people will want to move around every few years to stay interested. This also lets their employees see all of the various parts of the business.

Professional qualifications are OK but not necessary, for IBD at least. Probably not worth it. If you want to work for a corporate I imagine ACCA would pigeonhole you. If you want to work for a startup or be a CFO one day then an ACCA is a great asset. CFA is only a requiment really for asset managers and those involved with investment (although not important for PE or hedge fund investing). MBA is very expensive and I only recommend it for career changers: i.e., I have spent 4 years as a consultant and I want to go to banking...I will do an MBA (at a top school only) and use their career services to get a role in banking.

Anything that made me think I'd like to stay in IBD? Sure. The money is good, it's fast-paced, the work can be interesting (especially now that things have picked up). But after 2-3 years as analyst you need a break!

I've pretty much given my advice to interns above, including some . To reiterate (with a few additions):

It's all about enthusiasm as an intern. Be first one in, last to leave. I know this is a bit silly but makes a difference. Shave if you're a man. Dress nicely but not over the top - ie no braces, don't wear a rolex. Always look presentable, fresh, and ready to work / learn. Never complain or push back.

Thanks for this - really appreciate it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can I ask also,

In Corporate Development, I've always assumed it would be less intense and slightly less pay than IBD - is that correct? Do you have any further insight into how the work differs/is similar exactly?

Finally, any recommendations for intern accommodation? Thanks :smile:.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending