UniApply
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Say, for instance, I receive offers from Manchester University, Bath University and Warwick University to study Accounting & Finance. Which one would be better to go to (from an employers perspective)? Basically, say if i applied to an accounting firm e.g. KPMG/Deloitte, would they even bother to look at current University rankings to compare these Uni's? or do they see them all as irrelevant and only seek candidates from Oxbridge. I mean, would it look better on my application if I was to graduate from Bath University as opposed to Warwick, or is there no difference (again, from the perspective of an employer)? I understand that the examples listed are top firms and competition is high, but is there anyone that has graduated from one of the above unis and has a placement within the top 5 accounting firms?

Posted from TSR Mobile
[email protected]
Badges: 9
Report 4 years ago
I think they care a lot more about the degree i.e. 21 1st etc than they do which uni, they all have a very good reputation, for maths I think warwick has the best but not sure about finance
Mr. Roxas
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Warwick doesn't only have the best maths in this group of universities mentioned by the OP, it also has the best finance, stats and management programmes. If you want to be an actuary, it doesn't matter whether you come from Warwick or Bath or Manchester. But do take note that A&F graduates aren't solely confined in accountancy area -- they go where there are better opportunities for them. What special about Warwick is that it is considered a top target school for investment banking and management consulting firms, areas and destinations where both Bath and Manchester graduates aren't blessed to have as much access to.
In finance, reputation is important and Warwick is specially reputable to the view of the top employers in the financial world.
Ginger Duck
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It depends what kind of degree you're looking to study. As Mr Roxas has said, Warwick has a reputation for being targetted by investment banks and similar city firms, and has a great international reputation as well. On the other hand, Bath has a reputation as one of the best Universities for placement degrees, with the same firms targeting Bath's placement students, arguably giving those who secure such placements better graduate prospects than counterparts without them at Warwick.

Warwick is a much larger University, a member of the Russell Group and in my opinion the much nicer campus, whereas Bath is a small 'friendly' University, but is seen as an up-and-coming University, making strides in league tables and likes to point out that its students are amongst the most happy in the country.

My opinion would be that if you don't want to do a year-long placement, go to Warwick, as the degree by itself is worth slightly more, but if you are hoping to do a placement, then it's a toss of a coin which of them will get you the better job, and it would have to come down to which department/campus/city etc you prefer, as you will have excellent prospects at either.

I've never really seen Manchester compared in the same league as the other two for finance degrees.

(On a side note, Bath is generally regarded as having the better Business and Management courses, with higher graduate prospects, whereas Warwick dominates in the purer economics degrees.)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate