UniApply
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Say, for instance, I receive offers from Manchester University, Bath University and Warwick University to study Accounting & Finance. Which one would be better to go to (from an employers perspective)? Basically, say if i applied to an accounting firm e.g. KPMG/Deloitte, would they even bother to look at current University rankings to compare these Uni's? or do they see them all as irrelevant and only seek candidates from Oxbridge. I mean, would it look better on my application if I was to graduate from Bath University as opposed to Warwick, or is there no difference (again, from the perspective of an employer)? I understand that the examples listed are top firms and competition is high, but is there anyone that has graduated from one of the above unis and has a placement within the top 5 accounting firms?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pri2506
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi, I'm facing the same problem. I've gotten offers from both Bath and Warwick for Accounting and Finance. Im having great difficulty in choosing between the two. From what i've heard, Warwick is more world renown and so employability might be higher. Given that getting a job in the UK is very difficult today, i want to ensure i make the right choice.
Gnomes&Knights
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
A graduate from the University of Warwick is more employable according to statistics. The University of Bath offers a placement year which is an advantage. Does the Warwick course offer a placement year? If it doesn't then you might as well choose Bath and Bath is very reputable in the UK anyway. Not far from Warwick in terms of reputation.
UniApply
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pri2506)
Hi, I'm facing the same problem. I've gotten offers from both Bath and Warwick for Accounting and Finance. Im facing great difficulties in choosing between the two. From what i've heard, Warwick is more world renown and so employability might be higher. Given that getting a job in the UK is very difficult today, i want to ensure i make the right choice.
Yes, that's exactly what I want to do. I've posted duplicates of this forum in different categories and the general response that I get is that "warwick is more recognised by employers however, bath is a slightly better university". I've managed to book an appointment with the head of recruitment of PWC. I'm going to discuss this with them and I'll give an update as to what they say.

Posted from TSR Mobile
UniApply
Rep:
?
(Original post by Raymat)
A graduate from the University of Warwick is more employable according to statistics. The University of Bath offers a placement year which is an advantage. Does the Warwick course offer a placement year? If it doesn't then you might as well choose Bath and Bath a very reputable in the UK anyway. Not far from Warwick in terms of reputation.
I find that rather strange though, considering bath is above warwick in almost every league table, why is it that employers see warwick as a better university? I fear that there currently is a lack of awareness and that if I was to pick Warwick and graduate (after 3 years), the employers may then recognise bath as a better university and look down upon my application.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pri2506
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't think Warwick offers the 4 year course with placement. I haven't applied for the 4 year course at Bath. Which would you say is the best in terms of employability, for accounting and finance, Bath, Warwick or City?
I'm also trying to consider other factors such as the area. I've heard that Warwick is more of a quiet place with not much going on, compared to Bath which is a city.
This is probably the hardest decision i've had to make
UniApply
Rep:
?
I don't think Warwick offers the 4 year course with placement. I haven't applied for the 4 year course at Bath. Which would you say is the best in terms of employability, for accounting and finance, Bath, Warwick or City?
I'm also trying to consider other factors such as the area. I've heard that Warwick is more of a quiet place with not much going on, compared to Bath which is a city.
This is probably the hardest decision i've had to make
Personally I wouldn't go to city. I don't think it's anywhere near as reputable as Warwick and bath.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pri2506
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
An ex student ambassador at Warwick told me that Warwick is reputable mainly for its masters degree, not undergraduate. She also said that Bath is a very good university and given it's already highly ranked in the league tables, its name will probably become as renown as Warwick's in the future.
Bath's tuition fees seem to be way more reasonable than Warwick's. I fear that if i go to Bath, and Warwick's name does indeed increase my job prospects, i might miss out.
UniApply
Rep:
?
An ex student ambassador at Warwick told me that Warwick is reputable mainly for its masters degree, not undergraduate. She also said that Bath is a very good university and given it's already highly ranked in the league tables, its name will probably become as renown as Warwick's in the future.
Bath's tuition fees seem to be way more reasonable than Warwick's. I fear that if i go to Bath, and Warwick's name does indeed increase my job prospects, i might miss out.
Hmm...but is a low fee that important? I mean either way, you'll be taking a student loan right? So paying slightly more for a slight more reputable university with slightly better job prospects may be better in the long term. If Warwick is as reputable as people claim (in the eyes of employers), then I'd accept the Warwick offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pri2506
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Unfortunately im not a UK/EU citizen, so i cannot take a student loan.
Pri2506
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey. Have you made your decision yet?
gr8wizard10
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Warwick, leaves ore doors open for u
UniApply
Rep:
?
Hey. Have you made your decision yet?
Yep...I've decided to go to warwick. Through the various discussions I've had with heads of acc firms, they recommend warwick over bath.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bath
    Postgraduate Virtual Open Day 6 November 2019, 11:00-15:00 (UK time) Postgraduate
    Wed, 6 Nov '19
  • University of Bath
    Postgraduate Virtual Open Day 5 February 2020, 11:00-15:00 (UK time) Postgraduate
    Wed, 5 Feb '20
  • University of Bath
    Postgraduate Virtual Open Day 1 April 2020, 11:00-15:00 (UK time) Postgraduate
    Wed, 1 Apr '20

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (109)
17.99%
It's just nice to be back! (163)
26.9%
Not great so far... (217)
35.81%
I want to drop out! (117)
19.31%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed