AS Politics Edexcel Watch

Tommehh
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Can anyone give me a few examples or statistics which I can bring into essays on the following topics?

UNIT 1
1) Democracy and political participation
2) Political parties and ideas
3)Elections
4)Pressure groups

UNIT 2
1) The constitutions
2) Parliament
3) Prime minister and Cabinet
4) Judges and civil liberties

My teacher said that without including recent examples I'm unlikely to get above a C. Thank you!
coconuthead--
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This is the easiest AS got 100% in unit 1 and 86% unit 2. Just read the news-news recording sheet" I kept and memorised. Not just about statistics-use topical examples-Edward snowdon/julian assange/Cameron's power/unelected judiciary and chamber. Etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm The Real MVP
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Political participation usually involved referendums so Scottish Referendum, AV referendum in 2011 (I think), and the PCC election which had a turnout of 15%. Also the turnout statistics from the last few elections are good to learn, but I don't have them to hand.

We aren't learning political parties so can't help you there.

One example for elections is that in 2005 Blair got 55% of the seats on 35% of the vote which shows how unfair the voting system is. Also in 2010 Cameron got a higher percentage of the votes (I don't know how many) but he obviously had to form a coalition gov.

For pressure groups we normally just use examples of insider (BBA, NFU) and outsider groups (Amnesty Int'l, Greenpeace). Also examples of direct action could be the Occupy protests and Plane Stupid who sat on the runway at Gatwick.

I'm not really very good with examples for the Government side of things, but for constitutions maybe examples of where you can find the UK constitution, such as EU law, written political works, common law, etc.

Parliament could include reforms to the House of Lords, so the removal of hereditary peers and Clegg's suggestions to replace the Lords with a 400 (i think) member chamber which is 80% elected, which didn't go through.

The most obvious example I can come up with for PM and the Cabinet is how Thatcher and Blair are portrayed as presidential because of things like populist outreach and spatial leadership, etc. Cameron is still a bit presidential but he's particularly constrained because he shares power with Clegg.

I don't really have any examples for the judiciary
Tommehh
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by I'm The Real MVP)
Political participation usually involved referendums so Scottish Referendum, AV referendum in 2011 (I think), and the PCC election which had a turnout of 15%. Also the turnout statistics from the last few elections are good to learn, but I don't have them to hand.

We aren't learning political parties so can't help you there.

One example for elections is that in 2005 Blair got 55% of the seats on 35% of the vote which shows how unfair the voting system is. Also in 2010 Cameron got a higher percentage of the votes (I don't know how many) but he obviously had to form a coalition gov.

For pressure groups we normally just use examples of insider (BBA, NFU) and outsider groups (Amnesty Int'l, Greenpeace). Also examples of direct action could be the Occupy protests and Plane Stupid who sat on the runway at Gatwick.

I'm not really very good with examples for the Government side of things, but for constitutions maybe examples of where you can find the UK constitution, such as EU law, written political works, common law, etc.

Parliament could include reforms to the House of Lords, so the removal of hereditary peers and Clegg's suggestions to replace the Lords with a 400 (i think) member chamber which is 80% elected, which didn't go through.

The most obvious example I can come up with for PM and the Cabinet is how Thatcher and Blair are portrayed as presidential because of things like populist outreach and spatial leadership, etc. Cameron is still a bit presidential but he's particularly constrained because he shares power with Clegg.

I don't really have any examples for the judiciary
Amazing thanks so much! Exactly what i wanted - thanks for your time!
xxvine
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by coconuthead--)
This is the easiest AS got 100% in unit 1 and 86% unit 2. Just read the news-news recording sheet" I kept and memorised. Not just about statistics-use topical examples-Edward snowdon/julian assange/Cameron's power/unelected judiciary and chamber. Etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Congrats you did well...would love to get those marks!

How did you revise and when did you start revising?

What news recording sheet are you talking about?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 2 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (410)
18.68%
The paper was reasonable (1042)
47.47%
Not feeling great about that exam... (487)
22.19%
It was TERRIBLE (256)
11.66%

Watched Threads