The Student Room Group

Law LLB - Bristol vs Queen Mary

Have offers from both unis and was wondering what advice/ input others could provide to help with a decision. As I am an international student, I won't be able to attend uni visit days. However, I have visited QM while on holiday once and liked the campus-feel in London, though can't say much as I did not manage to pay Bristol a visit.

Bristol seems to be more established as a uni itself and looks like a nice city. While QM's law course seems to be quite reputable and being in London, hopefully more connectivity. If anybody has attended visit days/ are in the same dilemma/ are students in either unis please comment! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by mcsm96
Have offers from both unis and was wondering what advice/ input others could provide to help with a decision. As I am an international student, I won't be able to attend uni visit days. However, I have visited QM while on holiday once and liked the campus-feel in London, though can't say much as I did not manage to pay Bristol a visit.

Bristol seems to be more established as a uni itself and looks like a nice city. While QM's law course seems to be quite reputable and being in London, hopefully more connectivity. If anybody has attended visit days/ are in the same dilemma/ are students in either unis please comment! :smile:

I would go for Bristol. Not only does it have a better reputation, it is located in a great city and the law building is really nice. I must say though, you might not like the commute up the hill to the uni, but it is nice to exercise once in a while...
Original post by mcsm96

hi, i'm in the exact situation as you are, i'vr gotten offers from both bristol and queen mary. Right now deciding which to firm, however i might have slight inclinations towards queen mary after watching their playlist of videos on law in qm and london in general. Another thing is that qm is famous for its law school rather than the uni as a whole and its rankings have gone up the past few years.

According to guardian, it's ranked third in the uk after cambridge and oxford, exceeding ucl,king's and lse. So i guess there must be a reason in the betterment of reputation which is linked to the course content and lecturers.

On the other hand, i really like the bristol life as it seems like a city that's filled with character. The uni as a whole is also bigger, nicer and has more heritage compared to qm. The law faculty in particular is said to be beautiful. I also like the fact that bristol has a strong sporting culture that promotes competitive sports which i might be keen in pursuing if able.

Currently still undecided as well, i think i'll be happy at both places, just weighing out which is the best to firm.

cheers and hopefully see u in september! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by chickensthatfly
hi, i'm in the exact situation as you are, i'vr gotten offers from both bristol and queen mary. Right now deciding which to firm, however i might have slight inclinations towards queen mary after watching their playlist of videos on law in qm and london in general. Another thing is that qm is famous for its law school rather than the uni as a whole and its rankings have gone up the past few years.

According to guardian, it's ranked third in the uk after cambridge and oxford, exceeding ucl,king's and lse. So i guess there must be a reason in the betterment of reputation which is linked to the course content and lecturers.

On the other hand, i really like the bristol life as it seems like a city that's filled with character. The uni as a whole is also bigger, nicer and has more heritage compared to qm. The law faculty in particular is said to be beautiful. I also like the fact that bristol has a strong sporting culture that promotes competitive sports which i might be keen in pursuing if able.

Currently still undecided as well, i think i'll be happy at both places, just weighing out which is the best to firm.

cheers and hopefully see u in september! :smile:

Tough decision i'm making here as well :frown: Spoke to a QMUL professor and was thoroughly impressed by him, though my friends have been telling me that this is probably a bad gauge cause any professor would of course try to impress students to draw them in. Not sure about how i would like Bristol other than the fact that i really love their course structure compared to any other uni! And I've heard that the East End is kind of dodgey, not sure how it'll compare to Bristol as I've never been to both areas. any ideas? :smile:

Also, would you happen to know if any other schools (warwick/notts/leicester/etc) have a similar sporting culture to Bristol? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending