Notgrad
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Canadian newbie here

I'm kind of confused here how the UK grading system works

Now I've seen many universities in the UK saying that they may accept people with a Lower second-class honours, a 2.2; thing is what is the 2.2? Wiki says it's a 3 - 3.3 GPA in the US (which means the same for Canada)

While another source said that the Canadian equivalent of a 2.2 is a C+ (2.5).....

Which one is correct?

And yes I'm a low GPA hopeful
LSD
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't know much about American/Canadian grading systems but if it helps at all, over here the grades are generally classed as

1st = A or 70%+
2:1 = B or 60-69%
2:2 = C or 50-59%
3rd = D or 40-49%
Fail

It would make a lot of sense for a 2:2 to correlate to a C grade as that's what it technically is here.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Just to confuse the issue, there isn't a standard overseas GPA conversion table used by all UK universities. Each uni should have a section of their website for international applicants, which clarifies their entry requirements. Beware that requirements for international applicants won't necessarily map directly to those stated for Home/UK applicants.

When in doubt, check directly with Admissions Offices and be sure to ask about specific courses. Entry requirements can differ across courses in the same department.
SiriolEleri
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm on exchange in Canada from the UK at the moment, and this is a general idea of the conversion my university uses:
A+/A = 1st
A-/B+/B/B- = 2:1
C+/C/C- = 2:2 (etc.)
But as has been mentioned, it differs depending on the university and it's best to check with them directly. Also, I don't know what courses you're applying for, but if they say they may accept a 2:2 usually that means there need to be some kind of extenuating circumstances to make up for the lower grade. Again though, this depends on the university so check with them!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of West London
    Postgraduate Open Day - Ealing Site Postgraduate
    Thu, 21 Nov '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Nov '19
  • University of Hull
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices? (November update)

Yes I know where I'm applying (115)
69.7%
No I haven't decided yet (33)
20%
Yes but I might change my mind (17)
10.3%

Watched Threads