Anyone Studying Psychology with Conselling at OU?!

Watch
MadeleineMarieOU
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi

I'm started my Part Time degree (BSc Psychology and Counselling) with OU in Oct, I know it's a while away, does anyone know what books would be good to read for prep? I'm taking SDK100 (Science and Health: an evidence-based approach)!

I'm doing the first year (60 Credits) along with a full-time job so any pointers would be hugely, HUGELY appreciated!

Maddie
Tinkletea
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi,

I am going to be doing this (just registered) but i will be doing the science based optional module first.

Not helpful but at least there is another on the same degree as you!
Tinkletea
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Sorry I am taking SDK100, is this the same one as you?!

Also, in terms of books I think a social science book would be great to skim through whilst waiting to start. I got one when i started an access to psychology (albeit, I did not finish that course), which was very informative. It was quite in depth with regards to statistics and research which I anticipate will play a big part of this degree. So I think it would be a good idea to get a brief understanding of it prior to starting.
MadeleineMarieOU
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tinkletea)
Sorry I am taking SDK100, is this the same one as you?!

Also, in terms of books I think a social science book would be great to skim through whilst waiting to start. I got one when i started an access to psychology (albeit, I did not finish that course), which was very informative. It was quite in depth with regards to statistics and research which I anticipate will play a big part of this degree. So I think it would be a good idea to get a brief understanding of it prior to starting.
Hi! Whereabouts are you from? Good to speak to someone doing the same course, SDK100 is me I'll definitely take a look. I've just ordered some Psych books, I'll let you know if they're any good!
Tinkletea
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi,

I am from sunny London! so any tutorials etc I will have to go to Kingston I think (thats what it said when registering). I am glad someone else is doing that module, it looked a little less 'psychology' but I like the look if it, seems to cover alot of interesting topics!

Are you applying for student finance?
MadeleineMarieOU
Rep:
?
Are you applying for student finance?
Ah okay, I work in London so I may well be going through Kingston too (Can't remember what I put now...good start!)

I actually saw SDK100 (and loved it) on the Health Science degree which I was toying with Vs the Psychology degree but Psychology with Counselling combine the best of both!

I am applying yh, I've registered for it and will fill in the rest when they open for applications next month. Are you working whilst doing it?
Tinkletea
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ah cool, are you more central London? i am surrey way so thats probably why its said Kingston.
Yeah im applying next month aswell, hopefully it gets accepted (never done a degree before so can't see why not).
I was torn between this and forensic psychology, but i picked psych with counselling solely because of this module!
Yes, working full time, and with a toddler to boot so should be fun for me!!
you?
MadeleineMarieOU
Rep:
?
Ah cool, are you more central London? i am surrey way so thats probably why its said Kingston.
Yeah im applying next month aswell, hopefully it gets accepted (never done a degree before so can't see why not).
I was torn between this and forensic psychology, but i picked psych with counselling solely because of this module!
Yes, working full time, and with a toddler to boot so should be fun for me!!
you?
I'm in Holborn so pretty central, travel in from Essex.

Same here, I can't see them saying no! Just wish it was for more as from what I can tell it doesn't cover the cost of the whole course!

You have got your hands full!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tinkletea
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I believe it does cover the cost of the course, I dont believe its means-tested and will fund your tuition costs?
MadeleineMarieOU
Rep:
?
I believe it does cover the cost of the course, I dont believe its means-tested and will fund your tuition costs?
I did some more checking and I don't know WHERE I got my previous assumption as it is all covered haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tinkletea
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
worried me then lol!
Laurenamyj
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi,

I'm doing the same course as you! On and I started sdk100 in October aswell ! How are you finding it?

Lauren
michellerodgersx
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey I'm planning on doing the same this year!

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (169)
14.68%
I'm not sure (53)
4.6%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (338)
29.37%
I have already dropped out (34)
2.95%
I'm not a current university student (557)
48.39%

Watched Threads