Film/TV Production - where to go? Watch

mcoliveira
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
So, my goal is to become a producer/screenwriter mainly in TV but I wouldn't mind working in a couple of movies along the way.
I have applied to 5 universities in London, and all of them accepted me. These are my options:
  • University of Westminster - TV Production
  • Birkbeck, University of London - Film and Media
  • Universtity of Hertfordshire - Film and Television (Production)
  • Kingston University - Film Studies and Television & New Broadcasting Media
  • University of Greenwhich - Film Studies

Where should I go? I have mainly ruled out Greenwhich and Kingston. Birkbeck appeals to me through the possibility of studying at night and gaining work experience during the day; Westminster has a great reputation and great facilities; Hertfordshire looks good as well and is accredited by Creative Skillset...
kingoftheting
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't know anything about the others, really, but I went to the Birkbeck Offer Day last week and was at the Department of Film, Media and Cultural studies presentation. I don't think you could go wrong with it, tbh. They seemed to know what they were talking about and the sample lecture was very engaging. Of course, I can't compare it to the others, so...idk.
mcoliveira
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by kingoftheting)
I don't know anything about the others, really, but I went to the Birkbeck Offer Day last week and was at the Department of Film, Media and Cultural studies presentation. I don't think you could go wrong with it, tbh. They seemed to know what they were talking about and the sample lecture was very engaging. Of course, I can't compare it to the others, so...idk.
I went to the Offer Day as well, and although I really liked what I heard, my fear is that the course is mainly theoretical. It seems more suited to people who are looking to become film critics or researchers, than for people who actually want to make movies and television.
I'm afraid that, when the time comes to enter the industry, a degree from a university with a reputation such as westminster, or that is accredited by creative skillset, as both westminster and hertfordshire are, will get me further than coming from Birkbeck. Additionally, both Westminster and Hertfordshire have good facilities in terms of studios, sound equipment, etc., and I've never heard of anything like that from Birkbeck.
kingoftheting
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ah, yes. That may be the case. I'm going to be doing journalism so obviously I'm looking for different things in a university.

One thing I will say, I've worked in production and post production for the past ten years. There are many companies that would be willing to hire you as a runner a train you up as an editor or as a producer. You can do screenwriting courses that aren't going to cost you £9000 a year. In my experience, and it is just my experience, from the sounds of what you want to do as a career, a degree may not be essential. Although I suppose it wouldn't hurt to have one!
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mcoliveira)
So, my goal is to become a producer/screenwriter mainly in TV but I wouldn't mind working in a couple of movies along the way.
I have applied to 5 universities in London, and all of them accepted me. These are my options:
  • University of Westminster - TV Production
  • Birkbeck, University of London - Film and Media
  • Universtity of Hertfordshire - Film and Television (Production)
  • Kingston University - Film Studies and Television & New Broadcasting Media
  • University of Greenwhich - Film Studies

Where should I go? I have mainly ruled out Greenwhich and Kingston. Birkbeck appeals to me through the possibility of studying at night and gaining work experience during the day; Westminster has a great reputation and great facilities; Hertfordshire looks good as well and is accredited by Creative Skillset...
Perhaps a minor point, but I wouldn't say that Hertfordshire is 'in London'. It's in Hatfield, about 20 miles from the centre of London and will 'feel' completely different to e.g. Westminster or Birkbeck.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Guardian Offices, Kings Cross, London Postgraduate
    Mon, 2 Sep '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (221)
12.46%
Excited (166)
9.36%
Worried (309)
17.43%
Terrified (390)
22%
Meh (186)
10.49%
Confused (39)
2.2%