The Student Room Group

German measles "skeptic" forced to pay 100,000 Euros

Just saw this and thought it was funny.

A German measles "skeptic" offered 100,000 euros to anyone who can prove that the measles virus exists (he claims it is psychosomatic and not a virus)

A scientist sent him lots of medical studies. The anti vaxxer rejected them. Said anti-vaxxer has now been forced to pay the money by a court.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-31864218
(edited 9 years ago)
Anti-vaccination is something that I support tbh so I don't think I can join in with the laughter. Ofc he was stupid but that's not to say the movement is.
Sorry, I forgot to include the link.

Original post by The Zoologist
Anti-vaccination is something that I support tbh so I don't think I can join in with the laughter.

Good joke.
Original post by The Zoologist
Anti-vaccination is something that I support tbh so I don't think I can join in with the laughter. Ofc he was stupid but that's not to say the movement is.

There's absolutely no reason to be anti-vaccination (even if you're medically unable to be vaccinated, because then you're even more reliant on herd immunity).
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm not sure I'm cool with the idea of courts being able to hold idiots accountable for their wondrous claims.

Incidentally, I'm offering ten pounds to anyone who can prove ghosts why not aren't real.
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
I'm not sure I'm cool with the idea of courts being able to hold idiots accountable for their wondrous claims.

Incidentally, I'm offering ten pounds to anyone who can prove ghosts why not aren't real.

Not too long ago some idiot told parents that the MMR jab caused autism resulting in many parents stopping having the vaccination.

After God knows how many deaths and disabilities being caused by parents failing to have the MMR jab and buckets of professional reporting, we still have non too bright parents refusing to vaccinate their kids.

These idiots need hounding and one sure fire way to ensure that they take responsibility for their actions is to financially hurt them.
Original post by MatureStudent36

These idiots need hounding and one sure fire way to ensure that they take responsibility for their actions is to financially hurt them.

As said, not sure I'm too comfortable with that being the courts role in our society.
As said, not sure I'm too comfortable with that being the courts role in our society.

Whatever mechanism that keeps people alive.

How much taxpayers money was wasted on educational advertising about the safety of MMR jabs? How many people still ignore it?

This case is straight firward though. A fool made a claim and offered a financial reward to disprove his claim. He lost and refused to pay out.

It's no diferent to Burger King for example saying they'll give a million pounds to their millontb customer this month and refusing to pay up.

If people don't keep their end of a contract then it's dealt with via the courts isn't it?

That's how I see it. He even published the offer of money to be proven wrong on his website.
Original post by moonkatt
If people don't keep their end of a contract then it's dealt with via the courts isn't it?

That's how I see it. He even published the offer of money to be proven wrong on his website.

And the moment he gets a good solicitor to say he was clearly basing his views on mental issues, which nobody will doubt due to the nature of his fantastical claims, it will be passed.

Should verbal contracts be possible over the internet? That's the real question to be honest. If I make a post with a promise am I under a legal obligation to fulfill it?

I think that whilst it's amusing as it's some dunderhead who thinks nonsense, it's a bit disconcerting to see courts involved in such a heavy handed way.
And the moment he gets a good solicitor to say he was clearly basing his views on mental issues, which nobody will doubt due to the nature of his fantastical claims, it will be passed.

Should verbal contracts be possible over the internet? That's the real question to be honest. If I make a post with a promise am I under a legal obligation to fulfill it?

I think that whilst it's amusing as it's some dunderhead who thinks nonsense, it's a bit disconcerting to see courts involved in such a heavy handed way.

It's probably wise to note that this happened in Germany, they tend to be quite down the line on things there hence probably part of why he was taken to court, whereas here it probably wouldn't have. They've decided it counted as a contract (I've no idea of the wording on it) and have acted in that manner.

He's based his claims on his website in truly believing them, I know of people who are anti vaxxers, while I think their views are incredibly foolish and blind to a lot of the evidence that proves them otherwise, I don't think they're suffering form mental issues that would make their judgement clouded enough to protect them from litigation.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by RFowler
Just saw this and thought it was funny.

A German measles "skeptic" offered 100,000 euros to anyone who can prove that the measles virus exists (he claims it is psychosomatic and not a virus)

A scientist sent him lots of medical studies. The anti vaxxer rejected them. Said anti-vaxxer has now been forced to pay the money by a court.

Surely measles can be treated by a Carbolic Smoke Ball.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good.

Apparently Thermodynamics proves they can not exist according to Mr Cox. :fyi:

£10 please

This is typically German though :indiff: They are a serious bunch.
(edited 9 years ago)

A: "I'll give 100K Euros to anyone who will prove me that measles is caused by the virus!"
B: Here, there is a lorry full of documentation from trilion different studies. Where is my money?
A: ?!? nah, nevermind, I won't pay you
-----
Court: A, B has clearly shown you are mistaken, because you have promised him money, you should pay.

Quick Reply

Latest