Report Thread starter 4 years ago
:cool:
Nymthae
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by feiji)
Have you had a look at how rigid the course is at Sheffield? i.e. if you have 20 credits/year flexible that you'd be allowed to use in the politics department that might help bridge that gap.
laurenfae95
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I get how you feel about the politics dilemma, doing psychology meant there was no way I could do politics as well but I miss it so much! It seems like you would enjoy studying at Sheffield a lot more however, and as you mentioned if you did choose to focus on politics for your culture courses then you could study politics at a higher level afterwards. How you feel about the university and the city itself is very important and often not considered enough by people when making a decision. Interestingly, I'm from Leeds and moved to Sheffield for university (Hallam, so can't comment on Sheffield Uni itself) and personally find that Sheffield is lackluster in comparison. I also find my university department is pretty average and some of the staff actually make me dislike modules that I would have loved otherwise! I'm kind of stuck here now but I definitely wish I had considered how I feel about the uni and location more, because I definitely would have preferred somewhere with a lot more going on (Sheffield feels so small and quiet to me!).
Helloworld_95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well for Sheffield you have to do a year abroad for language courses. Also from what I remember a lot of the modules are about the culture rather than the language so I'd think you could do something like the politics of China/Japan.

Also regarding what laurenfae95 said about the city, there's a lot more going on at Uni of compared to Hallam in terms of events and societies, to the point where a few Hallamers end up joining Uni of societies, and if you trek out about 20-30 minutes you can find a lot of stuff usually for locals too.
Gnomes&Knights
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Choose the University of Leeds. The degree looks better (politics and a language) while the University of Sheffield one is just a language based degree.
feiji
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I forgot to answer this thread, I'm sorry.
(but if anyone cares, I went for leeds after looking round again and deciding that I did have a feel for it)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Exeter campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (274)
60.89%
Yes- I don't like it (22)
4.89%