The Student Room Group

Relevant work experience for Maths degree?

Hi all,

I was wondering whether there are any good places to do work experience for pure maths? What universities would call relevant work experience?

I have managed to get some in an asset management firm in London in the Sumer, but other than that, nothing else that is purely mathematically-based.

Any suggestions would be useful, thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by londoncricket
Hi all,

I was wondering whether there are any good places to do work experience for pure maths? What universities would call relevant work experience?

I have managed to get some in an asset management firm in London in the Sumer, but other than that, nothing else that is purely mathematically-based.

Any suggestions would be useful, thanks!

What field of mathematics are you particularly interested in? No university will ask you for work experience, they are more interested in your achievement in mathematics which includes your grades and your other interests like programming maybe; or even simply doing puzzles occasionally.

But to answer your question, if you are interested more in the finance side of maths then look at any Banks, or even any company really and ask to have a work exp in the finance department.
Great, thanks for that!

Very useful!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I applied for maths this year and got 5 offers including Bath and Warwick. All without a second of work experience. Don't worry about that, just read a book instead
Original post by a96clark
I applied for maths this year and got 5 offers including Bath and Warwick. All without a second of work experience. Don't worry about that, just read a book instead

Thanks for the reply!

Wow! That's an absolutely great achievement! Will you be taking Warwick?

Read a book? So, wider reading on maths?
Original post by londoncricket
Thanks for the reply!

Wow! That's an absolutely great achievement! Will you be taking Warwick?

Read a book? So, wider reading on maths?

No idea yet :/

yeah, reading seems to be the thing to do
Original post by a96clark
No idea yet :/

yeah, reading seems to be the thing to do

Ah okay all the very best!

I see. I will take a deeper look into that!

Quick Reply

Latest