The Student Room Group

Sister and date is this natural?

So I have a date tomorrow with a girl at my university. And my sister and her friend, are currently engaged in picking an outfit for me to wear as they know 'what girls want their date to wear'. They are doing this right from the shirt down to the shoes or 'booties' as they are referring to them as. I do not mind them doing this in fact it is endearing in a sense. However, is this natural? Has anyone done this before? Is it normal?

Scroll to see replies

How old is your sister? :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by CherryWine

Same age as me. 18 (she is slightly older though in months) both in first year of university. The two (sister and her friend) are also making me comb my hair. She has threatened that if I do not comb my hair so that I am 'presentable' , her and her friend will tie me to a chair and do the combing themselves.
Reply 3
Original post by CherryWine

I do understand that while my sister and her friend are behaving bizarrely. This behaviour does come from good intentions.
I always get my sister to help me pick clothes. She has more fashion sense than I do, so it makes sense.
It's very normal for sisters to want to do that.

What isn't so normal is to let them plan so much.
Reply 6
Original post by WoodyMKC
I always get my sister to help me pick clothes. She has more fashion sense than I do, so it makes sense.

Well I have no fashion sense, so I am happy to let my sister do that.
Original post by kipup
Same age as me. 18 (she is slightly older though in months) both in first year of university. The two (sister and her friend) are also making me comb my hair. She has threatened that if I do not comb my hair so that I am 'presentable' , her and her friend will tie me to a chair and do the combing themselves.

Original post by kipup
I do understand that while my sister and her friend are behaving bizarrely. This behaviour does come from good intentions.

I think its sweet, they obviously want your date to go well. Perhaps don't tell your date that your sister dressed you though :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by Patrick Wallace

I see your point. However, perhaps as they are getting something cathartic from doing the planning, I should allow them to continue?

It's not as if his sister has planned the entire date for him, just chosen an outfit for him. He still has to go on the date and do the whole getting to know the girl, giving off a good impression blah blah blah.
Original post by kipup
I see your point. However, perhaps as they are getting something cathartic from doing the planning, I should allow them to continue?

Definitely let them continue. There is no harm in getting advice. Just don't let yourself be bullied into stuff. For example the hair, if the date is successful are you going to comb your hair forever? If not there really isn't much point.
Reply 11
Definitely let them continue. There is no harm in getting advice. Just don't let yourself be bullied into stuff. For example the hair, if the date is successful are you going to comb your hair forever? If not there really isn't much point.

That is a good point.
Reply 12
Original post by WoodyMKC
It's not as if his sister has planned the entire date for him, just chosen an outfit for him. He still has to go on the date and do the whole getting to know the girl, giving off a good impression blah blah blah.

Yes, that is true.
Reply 13
Just like Game Of Thrones this.
Reply 14
Original post by Scott.
Just like Game Of Thrones this.

Sarcasm? If not in what sense is it like Game Of Thrones?
Reply 15
Original post by kipup
Sarcasm? If not in what sense is it like Game Of Thrones?

Because Jaime Lannister, and his sister, are well.....:colone:.....Very close.
Reply 16
Original post by Scott.
Because Jaime Lannister, and his sister, are well.....:colone:.....Very close.

I do not have an incestuous relationship with my sister if that is what you mean. :tongue:
Can't let a woman tell you what to wear. Woman don't know anything about classic mens style or about gentleman's attire.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Women do tend to dress men terribly, it must be said. Women's fashion and men's style are two very different art forms.
I wouldn't tell my brothers exactly what to wear but they'll often come to me like 'this shirt/jeans/shoes or this/these shirt/jeans/shoes'.

So, pretty normal.

Quick Reply

Latest