The Student Room Group

A-level choices for law with spanish law

Thinking about doing Law with Spanish Law at University and I'm currently considering my A-level choices and was wondering if anyone had any advice on good combinations?

I was thinking: History, Spanish, German and Biology but was wondering if I should also take English Lit?
Reply 1
Hi :smile:

At AS I took: Spanish, French, Business and Geography

I was previously looking at law.

It is important to enjoy your subjects so try to choose subjects you will enjoy but at the same take into consideration what your course needs. Everyone says 2 languages are insanely hard, they are difficult but European languages also work nicely alongside each other so don't worry about German and Spanish.

They mainly look at your 3 A levels after AS so think which you would drop. English lit is good for law, as is history. And obviously Spanish would be good for Spanish law, but biology isn't necessarily something they would look for but if you think you'd hate English Lit then go for the alternative you have chosen because you'll only end up getting a rubbish grade if you don't enjoy it. Uni's go through 1000's of applications and a lot don't even look at the subjects and just look at the grades.

It might be worth taking a look at current courses for Spanish law and what they require. As you probably know law A level isn't a necessity but may help too.

Hope this helps,

James
Original post by sam_blencs
Thinking about doing Law with Spanish Law at University and I'm currently considering my A-level choices and was wondering if anyone had any advice on good combinations?

I was thinking: History, Spanish, German and Biology but was wondering if I should also take English Lit?

Forget German and Biology. Economics, History, English Literature and Spanish feels like a nicer set of subjects for Law. They will involve a lot of writing and Law has a lot of writing.
Reply 3
Original post by Raymat
Forget German and Biology. Economics, History, English Literature and Spanish feels like a nicer set of subjects for Law. They will involve a lot of writing and Law has a lot of writing.

I have read in quite a few places that Universities like law applicants with a Science/Mathematics subject to show versatility which is why I thought Biology may be good. Also, I though German would be good to a) highlight my aptitude for languages and b) since the course is part languages, give my application an edge over others. I'm good at English Lit and quite enjoy it so I wouldn't say no to taking it and doing 5 AS-levels.
Reply 4
Original post by JTBullen
Hi :smile:

At AS I took: Spanish, French, Business and Geography

I was previously looking at law.

It is important to enjoy your subjects so try to choose subjects you will enjoy but at the same take into consideration what your course needs. Everyone says 2 languages are insanely hard, they are difficult but European languages also work nicely alongside each other so don't worry about German and Spanish.

They mainly look at your 3 A levels after AS so think which you would drop. English lit is good for law, as is history. And obviously Spanish would be good for Spanish law, but biology isn't necessarily something they would look for but if you think you'd hate English Lit then go for the alternative you have chosen because you'll only end up getting a rubbish grade if you don't enjoy it. Uni's go through 1000's of applications and a lot don't even look at the subjects and just look at the grades.

It might be worth taking a look at current courses for Spanish law and what they require. As you probably know law A level isn't a necessity but may help too.

Hope this helps,

James

Cheers for the reply, it was helpful!

I thought Biology would be good as it shows versatility. I could always do 5 AS-levels and then do English Lit as well.
Reply 5

I thought Biology would be good as it shows versatility. I could always do 5 AS-levels and then do English Lit as well.

Sounds good, but be warned that 5 subjects will be quite difficult, especially with 2 languages. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6

yeh you certainly have the right mindset! There is no harm in signing up for 5 AS levels, if you are on the course you can drop within the first few months but if you don't enrol on the course then you most probably can't get onto it. So my advice would be to enrol and see how it goes! The only thing now would be to search current course requirements for uni's you like the look of.
Reply 7
Reply 8
Original post by JTBullen
yeh you certainly have the right mindset! There is no harm in signing up for 5 AS levels, if you are on the course you can drop within the first few months but if you don't enrol on the course then you most probably can't get onto it. So my advice would be to enrol and see how it goes! The only thing now would be to search current course requirements for uni's you like the look of.

Ahaha, it's quite a big aspiration of mine! I have looked at uni requirements and they range from A*AA to ABB, the reason for the thread was the lack of guidance on A-level choices on uni websites apart from 'preferred' and 'non-preferred' lists. Good advice on the 5 AS-levels, cheers!
I've applied for this course myself, your subject combination looks good to me, but I would advise against taking a 5th AS level. It is just unnecessary stress and doesn't give you any real advantage. Any subjects will do as long as they are reputable. I'm doing Biology, Chemistry and Spanish at A2 and I've got offers from major unis.

Where are you thinking of applying?
Reply 10
Original post by BrianPeppers
I've applied for this course myself, your subject combination looks good to me, but I would advise against taking a 5th AS level. It is just unnecessary stress and doesn't give you any real advantage. Any subjects will do as long as they are reputable. I'm doing Biology, Chemistry and Spanish at A2 and I've got offers from major unis.

Where are you thinking of applying?

I would only do a 5th AS if I really had to but probably wouldn't. I've only really looked at which unis offer the course (which isn't many) and I'm thinking UCL, Edinburgh and maybe Oxford, depending on my GCSE results this summer. For my 4th and 5th choices I'd probably go for Sheffield and then maybe Law on its own somewhere else. Where are your offers from?
I would only do a 5th AS if I really had to but probably wouldn't. I've only really looked at which unis offer the course (which isn't many) and I'm thinking UCL, Edinburgh and maybe Oxford, depending on my GCSE results this summer. For my 4th and 5th choices I'd probably go for Sheffield and then maybe Law on its own somewhere else. Where are your offers from?

Have offers from Nottingham, Edinburgh, Sheffield and Liverpool (rejected post-interview from Oxford)

In my opinion the course at Nottingham is by far the best, although I didn't give much consideration to London Unis

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending