The Student Room Group

Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tillytots
Wesley's theory is such a strong opener I have to listen to the album in full even when I only want a little kendrick.

One of the stand out tracks.

Along with, King Kunta, These Walls, TBTB & I.

The last track is terrible though and should be deleted from history. It's got no place on a studio album, can't believe he put it on it.
Original post by Wilfred Little
One of the stand out tracks.

Along with, King Kunta, These Walls, TBTB & I.

The last track is terrible though and should be deleted from history. It's got no place on a studio album, can't believe he put it on it.

Mortal Man wasn't that bad of a song but it's a song I understand people not liking as much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 42
After a few listens it is pretty much an 8/10 album for me.

I agree 100% with Wilfred on the standout tracks.
Original post by Wilfred Little
2nd time listening now, this is really good but Kendrick's vocals are annoying me a bit in places. There is one track where he's basically just rhyming 'something *****, something something *****' which just feels lazy. The actual sound of his voice on For Free is annoying as well, does anyone else feel like this?

The album is getting rave reviews though.

He doesn't really flex his rap skills on this album to the extent that he usually does or to the extent he is capable of.

It's weird in that as a group of individual songs it's nowhere near as consistent as GKMC or Section 80, and as I said above, it's weaker technically too. But as an album, it's cohesive, original and most importantly (for him more than anything tbh) it's lyrically on point. As an album, in terms of production, cohesiveness and lyrical content, it makes some his earlier seem almost amateurish, it's just that good.

I think the album is extremely important for Kendrick Lamar as an artist, and I think it will stand the test of time, but for me personally I don't think the replay value is as high as for his other records. Disclaimer - I am a complete kdot stan, but for me I would rate as:

Section 80 - 10/10
GKMC - 10/10
To Pimp a Butterfly - 9/10.
Original post by Killer Bean
Labour Days - Aesop Rock
Piece of Strange - CunninLynguists
The Cold Vein - Cannibal Ox

Those are some somewhat lesser-known but well-respected albums you may like I guess. The Rymesayers label that Labour Days was released on has a lot to offer is you're into that album.

I checked out Brother Ali from the Rhymesayers label and I was really impressed. It's safe to say that the mainstream media shows a very narrow side to hip-hop.
Original post by BB1523
My favourite track from Dark Sky is All Your Fault featuring Kanye, you should check that out now and c what you think lol

Will do. I'll have a listen to it later this week :smile:
Reply 46
Just spent a couple of hours reading through the interpretations of each song on Genius, well worth a read. Especially "These Walls", "U", "How Much a Dollar Cost" in particular, the stories and the manner that they're told in is powerful stuff.

Found myself fascinated by black relations, race ideology etc. so I'm gonna put on Spike Lee's Malcom X flick later.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 47
Original post by Tom78
Just spent a couple of hours reading through the interpretations of each song on Genius, well worth a read. Especially "These Walls", "U", "How Much a Dollar Cost" in particular, the stories and the manner that they're told in is powerful stuff.

Found myself fascinated by black relations, race ideology etc. so I'm gonna put on Spike Lee's Malcom X flick later.

That Malcom X film is fire

Posted from TSR Mobile
I loved the album! I love mortal man the most, the message is incredible. u, i, king kunta, the blacker the berry, complexion, the whole album was art. I like GKMC but I won't compare it because they are two different albums with different contexts. This and J Cole album has me blown away :smile:
This album is so beast, been singing that bit in institutionalized all the time now, such a powerful album , ambitious production and themes throughout and for that its better than GKMC imo. Both still class though. Forest Hills Drive was so good, Lupe's album I've still to listen to, but heard amazing things, and we've not got much longer to wait for King Kanye's latest to come out , and RTJ3 hopefully.

Damn, this is some time for hip-hop.
The blacker the berry, the sweeter the juice!
I absolutely love this album , listen to it everyday without fail #King Kendrick
Reply 52
this guys dope
Reply 53
I think my favourite moment is the breakdown piano segment on Complexion, can't listen without closing eyes and slow jamming!
I really had no idea how Kendrick would top Good Kid, m.a.a.d City but he did it with this album. It took me a while for my ears to get used to it but after repetitive listens, its definitely an amazing album.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 55
They are 2 different projects but imo i prefer GKMC to this. Not sure why but GKMC is something special.
Original post by saeed97
They are 2 different projects but imo i prefer GKMC to this. Not sure why but GKMC is something special.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think the highest moment of that album is the transition from "i" to "Mortal Man". That was just beautiful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 58

+1 great reply mate, cant begin to understand how long it must have taken you to write this extremely detailed reply.
Original post by saeed97

Because GKMC is better than it.

Art of Peer Pressure > everything on this.

Quick Reply

Latest