Why Boris is (mostly) right about immigrants and the English language

Watch
navarre
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-language.html

Boris Johnson has written another one of those columns that show why he's such an interesting politician.
Broadly, he argues that all immigrants should speak English, and not live is segregated communities where satellite TV and the internet allow them to conduct their daily lives in non-English languages.
So far, so familiar.
The interesting bit of the column is Mr Johnson's admission that he's struggling to work out his own philosophical stance on language: take a liberal approach and let people do as they wish, or take a more culturally conservative one, and "insist" on English. He just about comes down on the latter side, but not, I think, with irreversible certainty.
I don't know too many politicians who would admit to not knowing the answer to a basic political question, much less their fundamental view of personal liberty, responsibility and the role of the state. But then, real people aren't always blessed with utter certainty on complicated questions either. We can often see both sides of an argument, instead of feeling the unshakeable clarity that many politicians at least pretend to enjoy.
Related Articles
London mayor Boris Johnson
One chart that shows Boris and Nigel Farage are right about immigrants speaking English 06 Jan 2015
Anyone pondering the curious phenomenon of Mr Johnson's popular appeal should consider the merits of this sort of thinking aloud; it doesn't have to be politically harmful, and can actually be be beneficial.
I agree with Boris that speaking English is very important. However, I don't believe we should or could force anyone to speak English- that would be illiberal. Rather, we should educate people on the benefits of speaking English.
HigherMinion
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You can't enforce anything, but there are massive benefits to speaking English in a majority-English spoken country. What we should not be doing is spending public money on translators. We don't want to take anything to the extreme we see in California, US, where there are Spanish speaking-only schools for the Mexican immigrants. This is a British state and people should be immigrating here to enjoy our culture with us, not dilute it to the point where we no longer have an official language.
william walker
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thankfully I am not a Liberal, I am a High Tory so forcing my will upon other people to maintain my nation state, my culture and the legacy of my ancestors is what I support. Put simply how can these people colonizing Britain with their immigrant legacy not be expected and forced to be British. The government actually stops people like me enforcing British culture and legacy by anti-discrimination laws. It just reinforces my hatred of the British government and my Loyalism.
democracyforum
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
European immigrants only.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (3)
9.09%
I need help researching courses (2)
6.06%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
9.09%
I need help with my personal statement (15)
45.45%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (7)
21.21%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (1)
3.03%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (2)
6.06%

Watched Threads