Turn on thread page Beta

Physics experiment - specific heat capacity of water watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    I be done an experiment to investigate the change in the specific heat capacity of water by changing the concentration of the water, accordingly. I've used a heating element to heat the water and I've insulated the beaker properly.

So, I read the current and voltage from the multimeters. So, I can find the energy supplied, by using
    P= I V and then power = energy / time

We also know that E= mct
    So are these equations equal?? Or will I need the efficiency of my system?!?

Thanks
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rishabharora)
    Hi!
    I be done an experiment to investigate the change in the specific heat capacity of water by changing the concentration of the water, accordingly. I've used a heating element to heat the water and I've insulated the beaker properly.

So, I read the current and voltage from the multimeters. So, I can find the energy supplied, by using
    P= I V and then power = energy / time

We also know that E= mct
    So are these equations equal?? Or will I need the efficiency of my system?!?

Thanks
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    How would you calculate the efficiency? I'd probably just insulate everything well and equate IVt = mcT

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lerjj)
    How would you calculate the efficiency? I'd probably just insulate everything well and equate IVt = mcT
    Maybe calculate the energy input and energy output?? Not exactly sure. But is the Ivt = mct a correct method?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rishabharora)
    Maybe calculate the energy input and energy output?? Not exactly sure. But is the Ivt = mct a correct method?
    Should be, maybe use a \theta for temperature to stop it getting confused with time, but yeah. Both equate to the energy the water has gained as heat.

My point about calculating efficiency is that you're already measuring the energy output in the form of how much the water heats up. Unless you have some very accurate way of working it out from theory, I don't think there's much you can do but assume that your experiment is 100% efficient.

ReputationRep:
    Input Power = VI

Output Power = \dfrac{mc\Delta T}{t}

So considering you are trying to find the specific heat capacity, chances are they want you to assume 100% efficiency, seeing as you would calculate the efficiency using the two above formulas, of which the value you are trying to find is unknown.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, so I'll equate the formulas and assume 100% efficiency

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 14, 2015

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.