Report Thread starter 4 years ago
LadyMede
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ModernHistorian)
Hi,
I will be entering my final year of school in June and I am hoping to go on to study History and Sociology at Edinburgh.
In my National 5's I obtained 4A's in History, Modern Studies, English and French along with a C in Biology and a D in maths. It is clear that my strengths lie in written subjects.
This year I hope to achieve 3As in History, Modern Studies and English. I accept that getting a B in Biology is unlikely so I suspect a C will be the latter. I am recitting Maths and hope to achieve a B. So in total AAAC at Higher and a B in National 5 Maths.
I was just wondering what are the chances of me receiving an unconditional, assuming my Personal Statement is of a good standard?
Any advice would be greatly appriciated.
Also for my final year I have chosen to study AH History, AH English, H Philosophy and H Politics.
Many thanks.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Universities very rarely give out unconditional offers, unless of course, you have already met the offer. For example, if you did a gap year and already had obtained the grades needed to meet the offer.
triton_sur_jade
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think it really depends on where you are applying to.
This year, I applied to Queen Mary, Cambridge, King's College London, University of Southampton and Durham University.
I only had one interview and that was with Queen Mary, and based on how enthusiastic I was and my passion for the subject (french and german) as well as knowledge, I received an unconditional offer from them. I don't want to blow my own trumpet, but my personal statement was good and the interviewer admitted that he recognised me from my personal statement so that always helped...

I honestly think that if you really have a true passion for the subject, an interview always gives you such a bigger chance at getting an unconditional

I should probably also add that Queen Mary gave me an unconditional offer regardless to the fact that I got a D in AS Maths! all universities accept that people have flaws
isabelles
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi,
I will be entering my final year of school in June and I am hoping to go on to study History and Sociology at Edinburgh.
In my National 5's I obtained 4A's in History, Modern Studies, English and French along with a C in Biology and a D in maths. It is clear that my strengths lie in written subjects.
This year I hope to achieve 3As in History, Modern Studies and English. I accept that getting a B in Biology is unlikely so I suspect a C will be the latter. I am recitting Maths and hope to achieve a B. So in total AAAC at Higher and a B in National 5 Maths.
I was just wondering what are the chances of me receiving an unconditional, assuming my Personal Statement is of a good standard?
Any advice would be greatly appriciated.
Also for my final year I have chosen to study AH History, AH English, H Philosophy and H Politics.

Many thanks.
Posted from TSR Mobile
The above people are English, I assume, so it's a bit different for them! I'm a Scottish student, however, currently in my 6th year. Having achieved AAABB in 5th year, 4 out of my 5 choices gave me unconditional offers for Psychology, including Edinburgh, so it is definitely a possibility! Since I did 5 Highers it's difficult to compare, but I think that it maybe isn't very likely you'll get an unconditional since the typical offer is AAAA. But your condition will probably be relatively low, so don't worry!! If you get AAAC then you might be asked to achieve a B in one of your Highers in 6th year, for example. You COULD get an unconditional as AAAC is over the minimum of ABBB, but it's really nothing to be concerned about if you don't because, as I've said, your conditions should be achievable
Best of luck with your exams and application!

Posted from TSR Mobile
ModernHistorian
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Posted from TSR Mobile
isabelles
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks! I will just have to keep working and see how it goes. My dream is to get an unconditional so I can be a little less stressed in 6th year. But we shall see, as I suspected it will be unlikely!
If you go to Edinburgh let me know how it is, psycology sounds to be very interesting indeed!
Posted from TSR Mobile
It's great having unconditionals but it's taken away all my motivation for this year haha! I hope you get one, but it'll be fine if you don't - don't worry
I think I'm going to accept my unconditional for the University of Glasgow, rather than Edinburgh, just because of its high ranking for Psych and the fact that it's close to home, but I went to Edinburgh on an open day and fell in love! I've always loved the city but the university, particularly the buildings in George Sq, are beautiful! It was definitely my second choice after Glasgow. I'm sure you'll love it! Feel free to ask me anything else in the future if you need to, btw!

Posted from TSR Mobile
ModernHistorian
Rep:
?
Posted from TSR Mobile
isabelles
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I also went to an Edinburgh open day and loved it! It has been my dream to go there, and it has great historical assets. Glasgow never really appealed much to me for some reason, but I will probably go to an open day next year so I shall see.

What advanced highers do you study?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Glasgow is difficult to get an offer from but it's also very beautiful and I'd recommend at least having a look! I only got in due to their adjusted entry requirements for target pupils, though (bad school, rough or rural postcode areas, etc.) – this is something that's worth looking into if you think it might apply to you!

I'm currently studying AH biology and AH maths, as well as higher art. I was also studying higher geography until I got my uni offers and realised it was pointless as I didn't enjoy it at all and was putting myself under unnecessary stress with such a big workload!

Posted from TSR Mobile
ModernHistorian
Rep:
?
Posted from TSR Mobile
isabelles
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah ill look into that, lets just say my school got a VERY bad report!

Those advanced highers sound like hell. I am so excited to start my new timetable after exams, but I am already stressed with 4 highers and a nat 5 so I dont know how I will cope with 2 ah and 2 highers!!

Geography seems dull haha, worst humanities subject

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh no history and english seem like hell to me!! Hahah
I honestly regret doing two AH now that I have unconditional offers because they're so difficult and I don't even need them! But if you enjoy the subject then it is good to not to have to go a year without it
Yeah, geography is pretty terrible! I really don't want to learn about soil and rocks haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
ModernHistorian
Rep:
?
Posted from TSR Mobile
isabelles
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Haha history is my passion. I would have done ah modern studies instead of english but they arent offering it this year, so english is second best to the rest haha. Yeah I was crashing it at the start of the year and didnt enjoy it at all.

Its a shame we arent in the same year and going to the same uni. Would have been nice to know someone aha

Posted from TSR Mobile
In that case, you'll probably quite enjoy your 6th year! Ah yeah I'm having to do AH bio at another school since my school doesn't offer it.

Ahah I know!! Does no one you know want to go to Edinburgh then? Well you can message me whenever if you have questions or whatever

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (31)
25%
No (93)
75%

Watched Threads