kkboyk
Badges: 21
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Throughout my time in school I had never really covered geometry or was even aware of it's existence until I took AS Maths.

Since I'm planning on doing a Maths degree and attempt STEP, how can I learn geometry from scratch? What's the best book/website to use?

Thanks in advance.
username1162972
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by kkboyk)
Throughout my time in school I had never really covered geometry or was even aware of it's existence until I took AS Maths.

Since I'm planning on doing a Maths degree and attempt STEP, how can I learn geometry from scratch? What's the best book/website to use?

Thanks in advance.
What type of geometry?
Geometry is oretty much non existant in STEP nowadays. The geometry required is just gcse knowledge. (Not saying its easy).
Please outline what type/level of geometry you want to learn.

Posted from TSR Mobile
kkboyk
(Original post by physicsmaths)
What type of geometry?
Geometry is oretty much non existant in STEP nowadays. The geometry required is just gcse knowledge. (Not saying its easy).
Please outline what type/level of geometry you want to learn.

Posted from TSR Mobile
A bit of eucledian geometry, but preferably GCSE and A-level geometry.
username1162972
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
A bit of eucledian geometry, but preferably GCSE and A-level geometry.
Have you done your basic circle theorems etc. You 'could' look at the UKMT publications which are tended towards BMO students but you did say Euclidean Geometry so...
You can just google stuff like Centroids etc and Circle theorems and thats normally enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile
kkboyk
Have you done your basic circle theorems etc. You 'could' look at the UKMT publications which are tended towards BMO students but you did say Euclidean Geometry so...
You can just google stuff like Centroids etc and Circle theorems and thats normally enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you happen to know any good books that covers geometry? The thing with a lot of GCSE material is that's its too watered down -.-
username1162972
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Do you happen to know any good books that covers geometry? The thing with a lot of GCSE material is that's its too watered down -.-
'UKMT publications'. Aimed at extremely bright 16 year olds so presumably you are older they should suit you as you want less watered down stuff. They are used in preperation for the Mathematical Olympiads so they are hard indeed I could send you pictures of some of stuff in these books tmmrw if you would like? i have a few geometry ones. And one very very advanced ones for International maths olympiads (no clue why I bought that one).

Posted from TSR Mobile
kkboyk
'UKMT publications'. Aimed at extremely bright 16 year olds so presumably you are older they should suit you as you want less watered down stuff. They are used in preperation for the Mathematical Olympiads so they are hard indeed I could send you pictures of some of stuff in these books tmmrw if you would like? i have a few geometry ones. And one very very advanced ones for International maths olympiads (no clue why I bought that one).

Posted from TSR Mobile
No thanks it's okay. I will have a look and decide whether to buy their books. Thanks
username1162972
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No thanks it's okay. I will have a look and decide whether to buy their books. Thanks
I woukd send them on TSR, they are very quick and progress from gcse stuff very quickly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
kkboyk
I woukd send them on TSR, they are very quick and progress from gcse stuff very quickly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Since you're offering them, then sure please do
username1162972
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Will do tmmrw onto this thread. Theyre not cheap so wouldnt want some geezer spending abit if money on them and then getting surprised. Look at the British Mathematical Olympiad 1 papers ij the meantime and these books are designed to prepare for that. Also, what University are your taking STEP for? I am taking STEP1-3 aswell this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Marxist
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi guys,

In the same position are some of you, but I don't think the MAT or STEP need you to be at Olympiad level of geometry problem solving, hence why it is better to go for something that is catered towards learning than towards competitions.

But, with that being said, I would recommend Art of Problem Solving Geometry book, but it's very expensive.
Marxist
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
Could you show me some of the pictures of this book, so I know if it's right the book for me, including the contents?
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
O level maths was full of geometry... so maybe get an old O level textbook ?
Marxist
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I would also recommend Kiselev's Geometry, but warning, it is an arduous task to get through that. So I would
recommend a tutor.
Marxist
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by the bear)
Yes, I did have a look at some O Level stuff. They're great stuff.
kkboyk
(Original post by Marxist)
I would also recommend Kiselev's Geometry, but warning, it is an arduous task to get through that. So I would
recommend a tutor.
I can't really afford one, and I don't really like being tutored but I shall try the book

Do you know any good ones?
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I can't really afford one, and I don't really like being tutored but I shall try the book

Do you know any good ones?
My Nan said this was good:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ordinary-Lev.../dp/0435503421

you can find it much cheaper at car boot sales etc.
kkboyk
My Nan said this was good:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ordinary-Lev.../dp/0435503421

you can find it much cheaper at car boot sales etc.
Thanks. I've found a cheaper one (costing only £2) on ebay.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (10)
13.51%
I need help researching courses (6)
8.11%
I need help with filling out the application form (4)
5.41%
I need help with my personal statement (30)
40.54%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (19)
25.68%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.7%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
4.05%

Watched Threads