Purplelady
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
What is considered a 'lab degree'?

I am a mature student and want to study a science but want to use it for a job later, such as research or even nhs labs.

Would the main one be biomedical science?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Purplelady
Rep:
?
Anyone?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Joshalos
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Purplelady)
Anyone?

Posted from TSR Mobile
An accredited biomedical science degree with a placement year would be the one for working as a registered biomedical scientist in an NHS lab or the NHS scientist training programme.

If you want to do life science based research, a biomedical science degree that isn't accredited would probably be your best bet as this would entail much more flexibility with regards to your options.

An accredited degree has to meet certain standards by the IBMS (Institute for Biomedical Science) in terms of course content in order to make the graduate eligible to register as a biomedical scientist after their degree (and a period of training). This means there are only limited, if any, optional modules one can take with this type of degree - it's the one I'm on as I am hoping to work in an NHS lab as long as I can secure my placement for next year!
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Anything that involves working in a lab! This includes biomed, biological sciences, biochem, mol biol, etc
Purplelady
Rep:
?
(Original post by alleycat393)
Anything that involves working in a lab! This includes biomed, biological sciences, biochem, mol biol, etc
Thank you. After a lot more researching I've found out about the biomedical science degree at my local uni which is accredited. I've been offered a place on there Human Bio degree which cover the same modules as the Biomedical students. I can then switch over to Biomedical science after level 1.

I'm' so excited.
queen-bee
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Biomedical science
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (675)
33.62%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (856)
42.63%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (386)
19.22%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.53%

Watched Threads