The Student Room Group

Whats your favourite Classical music piece?

I am not a musician myself unfortunately but I appreciate Classical music very much, what's your favourite piece?
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
I am not a musician myself unfortunately but I appreciate Classical music very much, what's your favourite piece?

We should include romantic/baroque era in here as well as classical!

Probably both Chopin concerti (although Op.21 in F minor is my favourite), Chopin's Op.52 ballade, Bruch violin concerto, Mendelssohn violin concerto, all of the Schubert impromptus, Beethoven symphonies nos. 3, 5, 6 and 7, Beethoven piano concerti nos. 4 and 5 and the violin concerto. Liszt's mephisto waltzes, the B minor sonata, Faust symphony, the Transcendentals Nos. 4, 8, 10 and 12, the Paganini Etudes + Liebestraum. Rachmaninoff concerti nos. 2, 3 and 4 and the Paganini Rhapsody.

Sorry, I just cannot choose a single favourite!

How about you OP?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Waltz 2 from Jazz Suite No.2 by Shostakovich is beautiful and my favourite since we played it last year in school orchestra.
Romeo and Juliet Fantasy Overture Tchaikovsky / Rach 3 + 2 piano concertos
i have made a Spotify™ playlist of the fragrant Vilde Frang.

The current track is the Allegro Moderato from Tchaikowsky's Violin Concerto in D Major.

They are all wonderful tbh.
Original post by billyfisher100
We should include romantic/baroque era in here as well as classical!

Probably both Chopin concerti (although Op.21 in F minor is my favourite), Chopin's Op.52 ballade, Bruch violin concerto, Mendelssohn violin concerto, all of the Schubert impromptus, Beethoven symphonies nos. 3, 5, 6 and 7, Beethoven piano concerti nos. 4 and 5 and the violin concerto. Liszt's mephisto waltzes, the B minor sonata, Faust symphony, the Transcendentals Nos. 4, 8, 10 and 12, the Paganini Etudes + Liebestraum. Rachmaninoff concerti nos. 2, 3 and 4 and the Paganini Rhapsody.

Sorry, I just cannot choose a single favourite!

How about you OP?

Ah wondeful thank you! I am excited to go through that list :thumbsup:

For me on the top of my head it world be: Vivaldi-four seasons, Mozart symphony No 40, 4,25,36, Antonin Dvorak new world symphony, I love love love Beethoven- moonlight sonata and Fur Elise (I love them both equally), recently I stumbled upon "The best of Tchaikovsky" on youtube, I can't say I was familiar with his work at all but I really enjoyed it :smile:

That's about all I can think of right now :smile: Thanks for your post!
Ah wondeful thank you! I am excited to go through that list :thumbsup:

For me on the top of my head it world be: Vivaldi-four seasons, Mozart symphony No 40, 4,25,36, Antonin Dvorak new world symphony, I love love love Beethoven- moonlight sonata and Fur Elise (I love them both equally), recently I stumbled upon "The best of Tchaikovsky" on youtube, I can't say I was familiar with his work at all but I really enjoyed it :smile:

That's about all I can think of right now :smile: Thanks for your post!

Aah! You're reminding me of so many things I didn't liszt!

I love the Beethoven sonatas, especially the late ones - I can play the No.23 Appassionata and the No.32 in C minor. Some of the most wonderful of Beethoven's works in my opinion.

Try the Tchaikovsky symphonies - the 4th is my favourite!
Reply 7

Gustav Holst - The Planets. Mars and Jupiter being my favourite. Jupiter is a masterpiece.
Cello Suite no. 1 - Bach
The whole complete Cello Concertos - Vivaldi
Toccata et Fugue - Bach :biggrin:
Sugar Plum Fairy - Tchaikovsky :colone:
The girl with the Flaxen hair and Clair de Lune- Claude Debussy
Raindrop Prelude - Chopin

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9

Impressionism rather than Classicism, but in the spirit of the thread:

[video="youtube;Yef2yiFPiuI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yef2yiFPiuI[/video]
Original post by billyfisher100
Aah! You're reminding me of so many things I didn't liszt!

I love the Beethoven sonatas, especially the late ones - I can play the No.23 Appassionata and the No.32 in C minor. Some of the most wonderful of Beethoven's works in my opinion.

Try the Tchaikovsky symphonies - the 4th is my favourite!

Oh I do wish I had some musical ability! I listened to Tchiakovsky's 4th symphony, would it be odd to say I felt "empowered"? haha
Original post by drowzee
Gustav Holst - The Planets. Mars and Jupiter being my favourite. Jupiter is a masterpiece.
Cello Suite no. 1 - Bach

Thank you drowzee, I must say I also like the sugar plum fairy :tongue: It makes me wish I was a fairy, or a ballerina or both :redface:
Oh I do wish I had some musical ability! I listened to Tchiakovsky's 4th symphony, would it be odd to say I felt "empowered"? haha

Absolutely - it really is a very structurally complex work - the analysis is very interesting if you can find it somewhere.

Well, one instrument is the right number in my opinion! I know someone who plays harp, cello, violin and flute.

The only instrument I ever chose is the piano and, as that has been my only instrumental focus, I have the delight of learning the Liszt B minor, for example, which truly is a masterpiece and is so rewarding to learn, particularly the andante sostenuto and the staccato beginning the fugue - to think Clara Schumann despised it when it was dedicated to her husband!
Original post by drowzee
Cello Suite no. 1 - Bach

I do love Bach's cello suites, and the Brandenburg concertos too of course. I could list a ton, but if it was just one piece it would have to be Dvorak's New World Symphony. Each movement is just perfect :redface:
At the moment, Ave Verum by Mozart. We are singing it in choir. I also love Habanera from the Opera Carmen. Sorry, that's more opera than classical but it's kinda similar :tongue:
:bump:

Quick Reply