Turn on thread page Beta

Whats your favourite Classical music piece? watch

ReputationRep:
    I am not a musician myself unfortunately but I appreciate Classical music very much, what's your favourite piece?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes)
    I am not a musician myself unfortunately but I appreciate Classical music very much, what's your favourite piece?
    We should include romantic/baroque era in here as well as classical!

Probably both Chopin concerti (although Op.21 in F minor is my favourite), Chopin's Op.52 ballade, Bruch violin concerto, Mendelssohn violin concerto, all of the Schubert impromptus, Beethoven symphonies nos. 3, 5, 6 and 7, Beethoven piano concerti nos. 4 and 5 and the violin concerto. Liszt's mephisto waltzes, the B minor sonata, Faust symphony, the Transcendentals Nos. 4, 8, 10 and 12, the Paganini Etudes + Liebestraum. Rachmaninoff concerti nos. 2, 3 and 4 and the Paganini Rhapsody.

Sorry, I just cannot choose a single favourite!

How about you OP?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Waltz 2 from Jazz Suite No.2 by Shostakovich is beautiful and my favourite since we played it last year in school orchestra.

ReputationRep:
    Romeo and Juliet Fantasy Overture Tchaikovsky / Rach 3 + 2 piano concertos

ReputationRep:
    i have made a Spotify™ playlist of the fragrant Vilde Frang.

The current track is the Allegro Moderato from Tchaikowsky's Violin Concerto in D Major.

They are all wonderful tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billyfisher100)
    We should include romantic/baroque era in here as well as classical!

Probably both Chopin concerti (although Op.21 in F minor is my favourite), Chopin's Op.52 ballade, Bruch violin concerto, Mendelssohn violin concerto, all of the Schubert impromptus, Beethoven symphonies nos. 3, 5, 6 and 7, Beethoven piano concerti nos. 4 and 5 and the violin concerto. Liszt's mephisto waltzes, the B minor sonata, Faust symphony, the Transcendentals Nos. 4, 8, 10 and 12, the Paganini Etudes + Liebestraum. Rachmaninoff concerti nos. 2, 3 and 4 and the Paganini Rhapsody.

Sorry, I just cannot choose a single favourite!

How about you OP?
    Ah wondeful thank you! I am excited to go through that list :thumbsup:

For me on the top of my head it world be: Vivaldi-four seasons, Mozart symphony No 40, 4,25,36, Antonin Dvorak new world symphony, I love love love Beethoven- moonlight sonata and Fur Elise (I love them both equally), recently I stumbled upon "The best of Tchaikovsky" on youtube, I can't say I was familiar with his work at all but I really enjoyed it

That's about all I can think of right now Thanks for your post!

ReputationRep:
    Ah wondeful thank you! I am excited to go through that list :thumbsup:

For me on the top of my head it world be: Vivaldi-four seasons, Mozart symphony No 40, 4,25,36, Antonin Dvorak new world symphony, I love love love Beethoven- moonlight sonata and Fur Elise (I love them both equally), recently I stumbled upon "The best of Tchaikovsky" on youtube, I can't say I was familiar with his work at all but I really enjoyed it

That's about all I can think of right now Thanks for your post!
    Aah! You're reminding me of so many things I didn't liszt!

I love the Beethoven sonatas, especially the late ones - I can play the No.23 Appassionata and the No.32 in C minor. Some of the most wonderful of Beethoven's works in my opinion.

Try the Tchaikovsky symphonies - the 4th is my favourite!

ReputationRep:
    Gustav Holst - The Planets. Mars and Jupiter being my favourite. Jupiter is a masterpiece.
    Cello Suite no. 1 - Bach
    The whole complete Cello Concertos - Vivaldi
    Toccata et Fugue - Bach
    Sugar Plum Fairy - Tchaikovsky
    The girl with the Flaxen hair and Clair de Lune- Claude Debussy

ReputationRep:
    Raindrop Prelude - Chopin

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Impressionism rather than Classicism, but in the spirit of the thread:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billyfisher100)
    Aah! You're reminding me of so many things I didn't liszt!

I love the Beethoven sonatas, especially the late ones - I can play the No.23 Appassionata and the No.32 in C minor. Some of the most wonderful of Beethoven's works in my opinion.

Try the Tchaikovsky symphonies - the 4th is my favourite!
    Oh I do wish I had some musical ability! I listened to Tchiakovsky's 4th symphony, would it be odd to say I felt "empowered"? haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drowzee)
    Gustav Holst - The Planets. Mars and Jupiter being my favourite. Jupiter is a masterpiece.
    Cello Suite no. 1 - Bach
    Toccata et Fugue - Bach
    Thank you drowzee, I must say I also like the sugar plum fairy It makes me wish I was a fairy, or a ballerina or both

ReputationRep:
    Oh I do wish I had some musical ability! I listened to Tchiakovsky's 4th symphony, would it be odd to say I felt "empowered"? haha
    Absolutely - it really is a very structurally complex work - the analysis is very interesting if you can find it somewhere.

Well, one instrument is the right number in my opinion! I know someone who plays harp, cello, violin and flute.

The only instrument I ever chose is the piano and, as that has been my only instrumental focus, I have the delight of learning the Liszt B minor, for example, which truly is a masterpiece and is so rewarding to learn, particularly the andante sostenuto and the staccato beginning the fugue - to think Clara Schumann despised it when it was dedicated to her husband!

(Original post by drowzee)
    Cello Suite no. 1 - Bach
    Toccata et Fugue - Bach
    I do love Bach's cello suites, and the Brandenburg concertos too of course. I could list a ton, but if it was just one piece it would have to be Dvorak's New World Symphony. Each movement is just perfect

ReputationRep:
    At the moment, Ave Verum by Mozart. We are singing it in choir. I also love Habanera from the Opera Carmen. Sorry, that's more opera than classical but it's kinda similar

ReputationRep:
    :bump:

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.