Temporary Withdrawl/Suspension of studies and Student Fianance.

Watch
Tale88
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I find myself in a place where I am left with little choice to withdraw temporarily from my first year.

This is due to a massive decline in my mental and physical health, mainly the development of what seems to be epilepsy.

As such, I cannot carry on this year. I am in the process of withdrawing under "Compelling Personal reasons" but no one seems to be able to inform me how this affects funding for the rest of this year (I am tied to a contract till 11th of sept for accomidation) as I have excessive financial hardship without the funding.

i am not sure what information I need, as Leeds Beckett's website is not very clear on temporary withdrawals or compelling personal reasons. I will be returning to the course, as and when I have not yet been informed, if the start of the year of in the second semester.

what do I apdo about the funding issue?
LadyMede
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Your student union should be able to signpost you the right we to get some impartial advice on this
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by LadyMede)
Your student union should be able to signpost you the right we to get some impartial advice on this
Yes. Your uni should also have a financial support person and I would also have a word with the disability support people too.
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Tale88)
I find myself in a place where I am left with little choice to withdraw temporarily from my first year.

This is due to a massive decline in my mental and physical health, mainly the development of what seems to be epilepsy.

As such, I cannot carry on this year. I am in the process of withdrawing under "Compelling Personal reasons" but no one seems to be able to inform me how this affects funding for the rest of this year (I am tied to a contract till 11th of sept for accomidation) as I have excessive financial hardship without the funding.

i am not sure what information I need, as Leeds Beckett's website is not very clear on temporary withdrawals or compelling personal reasons. I will be returning to the course, as and when I have not yet been informed, if the start of the year of in the second semester.

what do I apdo about the funding issue?
as others say go to your union because they can give you official guidance as can Mark in the Ask Student Finance section, but from what I've seen student finance will want evidence e.g. from a doctor who you've seen that you've withdrawn for health reasons and will be in hardship without your next payment
Tale88
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
thank you very much
Cop37h
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I realise this is late but I found myself in similar circumstances. I was advised to temporarily withdraw by the head of psychology and frantically tried to figure out whether I'd still be entitled to finance. I spoke with the su, the funding advice team at uni, the registars and SFE it's self. I was advised that I'd receive the funding for the second semester (first semester just ended). I then rang SFE after suspending and asked if I needed my Dr's notes etc and they were rude and said I don't need to, that I'd already got the money sent out and it wouldn't be taken back so to stop asking. Approaching September I was then chased over and over to give 1400 pounds back to SFE. Apparently all the advice was wrong
I needed to give all Dr's notes etc but it only entitled me to one month or do funding from my last day of at tendency. It was actually more than half a years worth of grant they wanted back off me after leading me to believe the whole semester and summer that this would be okay. Nobody even apologised and i'm still in outstanding debt from this. I do hope this didn't happen to you. I still have no way to contest this. x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (163)
14.5%
I'm not sure (51)
4.54%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (330)
29.36%
I have already dropped out (34)
3.02%
I'm not a current university student (546)
48.58%

Watched Threads