GrassThatCowsEat
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
To put things simple, here is my situation.

I have been offered a place at Staffordshire University on their Film, TV and Radio Studies course (conditional), however, I want to study on their Film Production course.

I originally had an interview for the Film Production course but unfortunately didnt make it. So, instead they offered me a place on the Film TV and Radio studies course.

However, since then, the circumstances have changed. I originally said in the interview that I was only working on 3 short films, however now I am working on 9 (they said they didnt think I am suitable for the course when I think now I am).

What I want to know is this, if I accept the place on the Film, TV and Radio studies course (Which im certain I will meet the conditions), will I be able to apply to the Film Production course in clearing?
r-t
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by GrassThatCowsEat)
To put things simple, here is my situation.

I have been offered a place at Staffordshire University on their Film, TV and Radio Studies course (conditional), however, I want to study on their Film Production course.

I originally had an interview for the Film Production course but unfortunately didnt make it. So, instead they offered me a place on the Film TV and Radio studies course.

However, since then, the circumstances have changed. I originally said in the interview that I was only working on 3 short films, however now I am working on 9 (they said they didnt think I am suitable for the course when I think now I am).

What I want to know is this, if I accept the place on the Film, TV and Radio studies course (Which im certain I will meet the conditions), will I be able to apply to the Film Production course in clearing?
You will only be able to apply through clearing if you're not holding any offers. You will be able to apply through adjustment if you get better grades than what Staffordshire is asking for. There is also no guarantee that they can accept you even if they want to because they may not have spaces yet but it is worth a try if you do better and apply through adjustment. If you do get into Staffordshire then you can try calling them and asking for a transfer to film production aswell.

Posted from TSR Mobile
GrassThatCowsEat
Rep:
?
(Original post by r-t)
You will only be able to apply through clearing if you're not holding any offers. You will be able to apply through adjustment if you get better grades than what Staffordshire is asking for. There is also no guarantee that they can accept you even if they want to because they may not have spaces yet but it is worth a try if you do better and apply through adjustment. If you do get into Staffordshire then you can try calling them and asking for a transfer to film production aswell.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've never heard of adjustment before. If it's not too much bother, do you mind explaining what it is?
r-t
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I've never heard of adjustment before. If it's not too much bother, do you mind explaining what it is?
Yeh sure it's basically the opposite to clearing. So you get entered into clearing of you didn't meet the conditions of your offer or you didn't get any offers which I assume you know. Adjustment means that you done better than the conditions of your firm offer so you now want to apply to a better university. Say for example your firm offer was BBC but you managed to get BBB or higher it will then you may want to apply for a better uni. The option for it will show on track that you can apply for adjustment but you only have 5 days to use it. The good thing with adjustment is that if you don't get an offer within the 5 day time period or you don't want the offer that you get then you still have your firm university to go to so you have nothing to lose. Unlike clearing where you can find the universities on the internet you have to call the university that you want to apply for through adjustment as there isn't an online section to apply through for this. The university will probably ask you for your grades and why you want to study with them etc and then if they have spaces you can enter their details on track and they will give you an offer. You can always decline this and apply for another one if you change your mind and remember that if you don't find a university then your firm one is still safe. The only bad thing with adjustment is that you may find it difficult to find accommodation at the last minute and the number of people who use adjustment is much less than those who use clearing. And you also only have 5 days but this will count down on track for you from the day you register for it. However as your firm university is safe you have nothing to lose

Posted from TSR Mobile
GrassThatCowsEat
Rep:
?
(Original post by r-t)
Yeh sure it's basically the opposite to clearing. So you get entered into clearing of you didn't meet the conditions of your offer or you didn't get any offers which I assume you know. Adjustment means that you done better than the conditions of your firm offer so you now want to apply to a better university. Say for example your firm offer was BBC but you managed to get BBB or higher it will then you may want to apply for a better uni. The option for it will show on track that you can apply for adjustment but you only have 5 days to use it. The good thing with adjustment is that if you don't get an offer within the 5 day time period or you don't want the offer that you get then you still have your firm university to go to so you have nothing to lose. Unlike clearing where you can find the universities on the internet you have to call the university that you want to apply for through adjustment as there isn't an online section to apply through for this. The university will probably ask you for your grades and why you want to study with them etc and then if they have spaces you can enter their details on track and they will give you an offer. You can always decline this and apply for another one if you change your mind and remember that if you don't find a university then your firm one is still safe. The only bad thing with adjustment is that you may find it difficult to find accommodation at the last minute and the number of people who use adjustment is much less than those who use clearing. And you also only have 5 days but this will count down on track for you from the day you register for it. However as your firm university is safe you have nothing to lose

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks

So, just to be clear. I would be able to apply for the Film Producton course at Staffordshire University through adjustment even though I have an offer for the Film, TV and Radio studies from Staffordshide Universty?
r-t
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks

So, just to be clear. I would be able to apply for the Film Producton course at Staffordshire University through adjustment even though I have an offer for the Film, TV and Radio studies from Staffordshide Universty?
Yes but you have to exceed the offer for the film, TV and radio studies from Staffordshire. But if you want to apply at a uni that you already have an offer then you should just call the uni and ask for a transfer to the film production course because they may have spaces and they already have your application details. The whole point of adjustment is that other uni's which you haven't previously applied to can see your application but Staffordshire already have your information so you should just call them on results day for a transfer if you want to remain at Staffordshire. Although the phone lines will be very busy on that day so you may have to call several times before you can get through.

Posted from TSR Mobile
GrassThatCowsEat
Rep:
?
(Original post by r-t)
Yes but you have to exceed the offer for the film, TV and radio studies from Staffordshire. But if you want to apply at a uni that you already have an offer then you should just call the uni and ask for a transfer to the film production course because they may have spaces and they already have your application details. The whole point of adjustment is that other uni's which you haven't previously applied to can see your application but Staffordshire already have your information so you should just call them on results day for a transfer if you want to remain at Staffordshire. Although the phone lines will be very busy on that day so you may have to call several times before you can get through.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh, I didn't think of that. Thanks!

I will try email them first and see what they say.

r-t
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

They might take longer to reply if you email them rather than call but good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
GrassThatCowsEat
Rep:
?
(Original post by r-t)
They might take longer to reply if you email them rather than call but good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks
Carnationlilyrose
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Emailing in either clearing or adjustment is a non-starter. Everything is done by phone and moves very fast.
GrassThatCowsEat
Rep:
?
(Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
Emailing in either clearing or adjustment is a non-starter. Everything is done by phone and moves very fast.
Oh right. I've already emailed them so I will give them a week to respond, if not then I will phone them.

Thanks
Carnationlilyrose
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Oh right. I've already emailed them so I will give them a week to respond, if not then I will phone them.

Thanks
I mean when clearing starts you must phone them. At the moment, they will have absolutely no idea whether they will be in clearing or not, and most likely won't until the weekend before results day, when they get the results and can see how many people missed their offers.

Edit: just looked back at the OP. Since you were rejected by them, there is no chance they will take you in Clearing, I'm afraid. If you have a place with them already, then you might (though I think it very doubtful) be able to persuade them to allow you to change course when you get there, but to be in Clearing at all means you have been rejected by them for the alternative course, which means game over.
GrassThatCowsEat
Rep:
?
I mean when clearing starts you must phone them. At the moment, they will have absolutely no idea whether they will be in clearing or not, and most likely won't until the weekend before results day, when they get the results and can see how many people missed their offers.

Edit: just looked back at the OP. Since you were rejected by them, there is no chance they will take you in Clearing, I'm afraid. If you have a place with them already, then you might (though I think it very doubtful) be able to persuade them to allow you to change course when you get there, but to be in Clearing at all means you have been rejected by them for the alternative course, which means game over.
Oh. I guess worse case scenario then is for me to accept the course offer and then just make short films in my own time (which is all I want to do).
Carnationlilyrose
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Oh. I guess worse case scenario then is for me to accept the course offer and then just make short films in my own time (which is all I want to do).
Sounds like a plan.
GrassThatCowsEat
Rep:
?
Sounds like a plan.
The only problem with it is, Will I have enough time outside of lectures/studying to create these short films? and Will other people be willing to participate in the creation of these short films?

However, although there are no short films made in the first year, there are units to create short films in the second and third year.
Carnationlilyrose
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The only problem with it is, Will I have enough time outside of lectures/studying to create these short films? and Will other people be willing to participate in the creation of these short films?

However, although there are no short films made in the first year, there are units to create short films in the second and third year.
I would imagine so. No degrees expect you to have no free time at all, and you'll never meet more people with time on their hands than at university.
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

If you offer to help other people with their films, they will help with yours. Students on that type of course know that cooperation is essential.
GrassThatCowsEat
Rep:
?
(Original post by ageshallnot)
If you offer to help other people with their films, they will help with yours. Students on that type of course know that cooperation is essential.
Oh yeah I will, definitely. Not only will it be beneficial to me as it increases my portfolio but also beneficial to them as they have more people working on their film + its the right to do anyway.
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Oh yeah I will, definitely. Not only will it be beneficial to me as it increases my portfolio but also beneficial to them as they have more people working on their film + its the right to do anyway.
I've now had a look at the two courses in question. If you really want to become a film director (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...php?p=54146509) then I suggest you consider taking a gap year in which you produce a much better portfolio and reapply.

The difference between these two courses is similar to the difference between attending a theatre school such as RADA or LAMDA, and studying Drama at university. While it is possible to become a professional actor via the latter route it is far more difficult and the training you receive will not be so comprehensive.
GrassThatCowsEat
Rep:
?
(Original post by ageshallnot)
I've now had a look at the two courses in question. If you really want to become a film director (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...php?p=54146509) then I suggest you consider taking a gap year in which you produce a much better portfolio and reapply.

The difference between these two courses is similar to the difference between attending a theatre school such as RADA or LAMDA, and studying Drama at university. While it is possible to become a professional actor via the latter route it is far more difficult and the training you receive will not be so comprehensive.
Thanks for the suggestion. I will certainly look into it. The only problem with that is whether I could get the equipment to shoot my own films + the talent and crew needed to create the film. Where as if I go to university, it's all there, I would just have to ask for it.

I will definitely look into it though, thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Have you ever accessed mental health support services at University?

Yes (47)
24.61%
No, but I have thought about it (51)
26.7%
No (93)
48.69%

Watched Threads