anonlad
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So basically I would like an A* in A2 Geography, however I'm currently struggling to get into the top level boundaries for the essays. My main issue is trying to include lots of detail whilst covering a wide range of points in the time limit. Over the course of GCSE and AS Geography I have only dropped 2 UMS so it's frustrating me that I'm losing so many marks and getting Bs and Cs in my A2 practice essays

Any tips on how I can improve my exam technique and strike the correct balance between including enough detail and covering enough points? Also any useful revision resources would be appreciated
lizmoo0721
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by anonlad)
So basically I would like an A* in A2 Geography, however I'm currently struggling to get into the top level boundaries for the essays. My main issue is trying to include lots of detail whilst covering a wide range of points in the time limit. Over the course of GCSE and AS Geography I have only dropped 2 UMS so it's frustrating me that I'm losing so many marks and getting Bs and Cs in my A2 practice essays

Any tips on how I can improve my exam technique and strike the correct balance between including enough detail and covering enough points? Also any useful revision resources would be appreciated
Hiya I'm aiming for A* too at A2! What exam board do you do? I am doing Edexcel.

My essays get 'OK' marks, however I think my teacher over-marks me quite a bit. :rolleyes: Do you think it could just be your teacher marking you harshly if you've been getting good marks most of the time?

I have some links that you might find useful... should I PM them too you?
anonlad
Rep:
?
(Original post by lizmoo0721)
Hiya I'm aiming for A* too at A2! What exam board do you do? I am doing Edexcel.

My essays get 'OK' marks, however I think my teacher over-marks me quite a bit. :rolleyes: Do you think it could just be your teacher marking you harshly if you've been getting good marks most of the time?

I have some links that you might find useful... should I PM them too you?
Also doing Edexcel, with U4 being Health and Pollution.

My teacher does mark fairly harshly although I still feel like I can do a lot better but I'm not sure how??! Yes please that would be much appreciated
natalieshaka
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey guys! I am attaching some helpful tips about essays that my teacher has provided - hope they help with your Unit 3 essays!
I'm retaking the AS Unit 2 and I am struggling with fieldwork questions...Crowded coasts and rebranding. does anyone have any helpful slides or information I could use from their Unit 2 last year? I had a different teacher last year and cant really get help for this!

thank youuuu
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm doing edexcel health and pollution too- its rock solid. I think its just a case of having an absolute stack of case studies, and then mastering exam technique
noveria
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hello, I luckily managed to get A* at A2. I can't remember exactly how I did it, but the biggest thing they look for is box ticking. What I mean is that the examiner doesn't care what case studies you use, they want to see a structured argument that flows coherently, like quoted sources, methodology, conclusion etc. If you have no structure and just case studies, you're looking at a E/D grade. If you add proper structure and point, example, explain to your points, probably a C/B. But you sound quite talented - check that you are doing the following things:
1) 2 or 3 well explained case studies is worth A LOT more than 5 or 6 smaller ones
2) Include material both for and against the argument and give them equal weighting. Thn form your own conclusion based on the evidence.
3) Make the content in each section proportional (Don't take up 3 pages with the introduction)
4) Planning for one or two minutes beforehand does help
5) Have a sit down with your teacher and ask their advice

Like I said, you sound like you have what it takes. I didn't say the above to be patronising, but believe me it's easy to forget. Just say what the examiner wants to hear; horrible but true. Try not to do too many examples - 2 or 3 really well explained ones is fine. Good luck with your A*!
anonlad
Rep:
?
(Original post by noveria)
Hello, I luckily managed to get A* at A2. I can't remember exactly how I did it, but the biggest thing they look for is box ticking. What I mean is that the examiner doesn't care what case studies you use, they want to see a structured argument that flows coherently, like quoted sources, methodology, conclusion etc. If you have no structure and just case studies, you're looking at a E/D grade. If you add proper structure and point, example, explain to your points, probably a C/B. But you sound quite talented - check that you are doing the following things:
1) 2 or 3 well explained case studies is worth A LOT more than 5 or 6 smaller ones
2) Include material both for and against the argument and give them equal weighting. Thn form your own conclusion based on the evidence.
3) Make the content in each section proportional (Don't take up 3 pages with the introduction)
4) Planning for one or two minutes beforehand does help
5) Have a sit down with your teacher and ask their advice

Like I said, you sound like you have what it takes. I didn't say the above to be patronising, but believe me it's easy to forget. Just say what the examiner wants to hear; horrible but true. Try not to do too many examples - 2 or 3 really well explained ones is fine. Good luck with your A*!

Thank you - really useful advice! Will take all of it on board. When you mention case studies, are you referring to U3, U4 (the report) or both in general?

Thanks
noveria
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by anonlad)
Thank you - really useful advice! Will take all of it on board. When you mention case studies, are you referring to U3, U4 (the report) or both in general?

Thanks
You're welcome! Generally, case studies are more applicable to U4, though I was a bit sloppy with my language. When I said case studies I meant either case studies (A specific example of a topic with detailed analysis) or just examples. Examples are applicable to everything you do, case studies are more useful for reports, like U4.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (20)
14.49%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.8%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
5.07%
I need help with my personal statement (55)
39.86%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (35)
25.36%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
2.17%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (10)
7.25%

Watched Threads