I've been accepted to Msc Economics in Europe. Now, where to go? Watch

assan90
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi everyone! I often read this forum and now I'm in need of help!

Considering that I would like to work in consultancy after graduation or alternatively applying for a Phd, what program is my best fit between Msc Economics at Nottingham, York, Exeter, Bath.. MSc Econometrics and Mathematical Economics at U. of Amsterdam and QEM Erasmus Mundus?

So far the only 2 year program I've been accepted to is QEM Erasmus Mundus.

Academically speaking I'm oriented on theoretical economics specifically decision theory but I'm open to other contaminations.

Financially speaking, in terms of tuition fees, I reckon that Amsterdam one year program with 2000€ of fee would be, together with QEM (that is offering me some financial aid, though not full scholarships) the most affordable option. Still I can't say if my decision is based on the financial factor. Money is at the moment an issue but in the next few months I could afford without harm even more costly programs.

Said that, I'm waiting for LSE and Warwick Msc Economics as well as Oxford Mphil results. But I'm not confident I'll make it into these schools.

Where should I go for? Is it better for me one year in the Uk or is it better Amsterdam or maybe try the QEM program?

Thank you folks for the help! I Desperately need some suggestions!
poohat
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by assan90)
Considering that I would like to work in consultancy after graduation or alternatively applying for a Phd, what program is my best fit between Msc Economics at Nottingham, York, Exeter, Bath.. MSc Econometrics and Mathematical Economics at U. of Amsterdam and QEM Erasmus Mundus?
LSE is best, then Oxford/Cambridge. Bit of a drop down to Warwick and the rest.

Out of the other ones you have listed, they are all national universities, so go to the one based in the country you want to work in I guess. I doubt that anyone outside the UK has heard of Bath/Nottingham, just like few people in the UK have heard of U Amsterdam or Mundus. But they are all considered respectable within their own countries.
Tcannon
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Ox and LSE are probably the best known Econ programmes in the UK and offer good placement to consulting with campus presentation. They offer both (career and PhD track). I think QEM and Amsterdam are known within the Econ community for their academic rigour and analytical training. I have seen Cvs of Econ PhDs who attended UVA and QEM. IMO, UVA and QEM are in same league as Nott, but superior to Bath, York and exeter in terms of research and training. From a ROI point, they are good programmes. Interesting to hear that QEM offers FInAid besides scholarship, is it a small stipend?
assan90
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Thank you for answering! I tend to agree with you guys..
Anyway, the QEM financial aid package consists in a reduction of fees, housing grant (single room at discounted price of 250 euro) and eventually a little monthly support (when moving abroad they give you 280€ per month).

Still, I'm utterly confused... I don't think I'll be accepted at such competitive programs as Ox and LSE (but I'd wish I was wrong!! ) so I'm basically split between Nott, Amsterdam and QEM. Really can't come up with a decision process.

I am half italian and half moroccan, and culturally speaking, I'd really like to experience the english-speaking world, I'd been dreaming about delving into an english way of life since my undergrads started!! (also, a few years ago I applied for undergrad studies in the uk but got rejected from all 5 unis!!) and I reckon that working in London after graduation would be a dream come true (in case I decide not to pursue a Phd). Also my cousin is studying computing at Imperial and he's so happy with his path, I'd like to reach him.

But having half moroccan origins, and speaking french almost fluently I reckon that also QEM, that is based mainly in Paris, could be a good step.

Do you think that for working in London having an english degree (say, at Nott) is seen better by the employees? Or there's a good chance of being employed by London companies even graduating from Amsterdam or Paris? In my opinion, I'm trying as much as possible to have an international profile, I don't see much harm in having a master from a french/dutch institution as long as it is internationally known!
Tcannon
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The larger consulting firms will come to UVA, Paris 1, Ox, LSE and to some extend Nott. I saw that at LSE, consulting is the 2nd most popular career path (1st: banking). If you wish to work in London after studies, obviously London based firms are more familiar with UK's top Econ programmes. It is more convenient to travel to London for various stages of interviews over months from first contact to offer. But firms are selective and regard mostly top10 as target unis. I think MBBs recruit internationally and know European unis, mid & small tier firms recruit mostly nationally.

But if you are fluent in French, Paris 1 would also offer good career placement with Paris based firms. The FinAid is generous. Note that tuition at UK unis is more expensive with little FinAid. I know from a headhunter that Paris 1 is well respected for Quant Econ and he has placed grads at banks.

May I suggest to contact QEM alum, there is a alumni list on QEM website. Some pple moved on to consulting and PhD programmes. Professionals with Econ degree have heard of QEM and UVA as national champions in theur countries. Good luck.
doomy
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey there.

I am currently in a very similar situation to yours (I actually was 1 month ago), i.e. trying to choose between MSc Economics offers, while not being sure whether to go in banking / institutions (similar to you, preferably in London) or proceeding towards a PhD after the Masters.

I have similar offers in the UK to yours (Bath, Durham, Nottingham, Warwick) and BGSE outside the UK. Got rejected by Cambridge and UCL.

From the UK programmes you've been accepted to, Nottingham's is really the strongest (while not by that much), especially for consulting, as well as its maths & econometrics as a preparation for a PhD, plus in comparison to the other UK universities' fees Notts really is a great offer.

I would, however, really not lose hope on rest of the universities you've applied to. I expect Warwick at least to give you an offer as well. They accepted me and in terms of academic profile I only have a high 2.1 from a mediocre UK university.

For Oxford, LSE and Warwick it really depends on whether you need that funding or not. I mean it's more than 15k compared to Notts.

P.S. Since you don't mind going for a 2 year long Masters, have you thought about BGSE, Bocconi, SSE (not sure about deadlines for the last two). I'd argue that their MSc programmes are better known in the UK than Amsterdam and QEM. Regarding the latter's PhD prospectives - better listen to the guys on the urch forum. The answers you received there really are from people who seem to have researched EU programmes well.

My two cents are - If you receive an offer from any of the UK universities you are waiting for - think carefully if you/your family can afford it or if taking a loan would be worth it - and then go for it. If not, go for Amsterdam or Notts. They seem to offer the best choice both in terms of academic training, as well as in career opportunities.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Life Sciences; Department of Psychology Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Feb '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Feb '19
  • St George's, University of London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 21 Feb '19

Is the plastic tax enough to protect the environment?

Yes (4)
4%
No (96)
96%

Watched Threads