The Student Room Group

I am investing money into a company. help

hi guys

I recently invested a about 150 pounds on some startup companies
on a crowdfunding website.

the equities are very small obviously like 0.005%.

I wanted to ask you guys, if I will atleast make money out of it?
Or is it a waste of time, as I don't have much savings other than that

Scroll to see replies

There are better things to do with your £150. Look up matched betting. Dutching. Arbitrage.
Reply 2
just keep it in the bank, no point doing anything with such a small amount of money. Come back when you have £1000
Reply 3
Original post by Frienzy01
hi guys

I recently invested a about 150 pounds on some startup companies
on a crowdfunding website.

the equities are very small obviously like 0.005%.

I wanted to ask you guys, if I will atleast make money out of it?
Or is it a waste of time, as I don't have much savings other than that

Nobody knows.

Unlikely anytime soon (ie next five years)

I bet you can't even get any of your money back in the next few years.
Reply 4
Original post by 786687
just keep it in the bank, no point doing anything with such a small amount of money. Come back when you have £1000

I put £95 into Brewdog in 2011. The latest share trading valued my investment at £500.

Would I have managed that in the bank?
Reply 5
Original post by Quady
I put £95 into Brewdog in 2011. The latest share trading valued my investment at £500.

one word

fees
Reply 6
Original post by 786687
one word

fees

£14.95...

Ok so I'd only realise £390.50 profit from my £95.

Would I have got that from the bank?
Reply 7
Original post by Quady
£14.95...

20% of your investment gone in fees, ridiculous!

all I can say is, you got lucky. It was just as easy to make that profit as it was to lose your entire initial investment.

Investing in small companies is literally gambling. You might as well have put it on a horse at the gold cup.
Reply 8
Original post by 786687
20% of your investment gone in fees, ridiculous!

all I can say is, you got lucky. It was just as easy to make that profit as it was to lose your entire initial investment.

Investing in small companies is literally gambling. You might as well have put it on a horse at the gold cup.

How is it ridiculous? Not far off most brokerage rates.

Why did I get lucky? A company with a 100%+ growth rate and a solid business plan.

You really think Brewdog would've gone bust? Why?
Reply 9
Original post by Quady

Original post by Quady
£14.95...

Haha your posts really make my mind boggle. You seem to have reasonable thoughts in some areas but then come out with utter nonsense elsewhere. It's as if you are trying to justify investing in start-ups through crowdfunding because you made a 400% return on one punt (that is, by the way, totally illiquid). Bizarre. Tell me, why did you only invest £95 when it was a sure thing? Surely you should have taken out a loan and bet all of that on it?

OP: Investing through crowdfunding for equity is fun and a way to make a really solid long-run return if you believe in the business. However, investments are highly illiquid and you shouldn't be putting in significant amount of money into them if you haven't got much to begin with and might need the money (it will take you at least 5-10 years to get your money out at anything like the valuation that is given, the only way you can easily and quickly sell shares is if they are a public company). Investments like this shouldn't make up more than 5% (maybe 10%) of your total portfolio as they are totally unpredictable.
Original post by FVP
Haha your posts really make my mind boggle. You seem to have reasonable thoughts in some areas but then come out with utter nonsense elsewhere. It's as if you are trying to justify investing in start-ups through crowdfunding because you made a 400% return on one punt (that is, by the way, totally illiquid). Bizarre. Tell me, why did you only invest £95 when it was a sure thing? Surely you should have taken out a loan and bet all of that on it?

OP: Investing through crowdfunding for equity is fun and a way to make a really solid long-run return if you believe in the business. However, investments are highly illiquid and you shouldn't be putting in significant amount of money into them if you haven't got much to begin with and might need the money (it will take you at least 5-10 years to get your money out at anything like the valuation that is given, the only way you can easily and quickly sell shares is if they are a public company). Investments like this shouldn't make up more than 5% (maybe 10%) of your total portfolio as they are totally unpredictable.

What you don't realise is that owning a share in Brewdog entitles you to go to their AGM which is essentially a massive piss up / music festival, so it's more than your standard stock on a screen. Some people purchase them purely for that reason notwithstanding the potential profits.
Reply 11
Original post by FVP

I didnt, I put £95 in for my dad too. At the time I was pumping more money into whisky.
As you say its illiquid and with risk. Just the suggestion that you cant do anything with £100 is laughable
Reply 12
Original post by Sam Walters

Original post by 786687

Original post by Quady

Original post by FVP

Original post by Hedgeman49

Thanks for reply unfortunately I already set up a debit to pay for investment in a few companies. Not sure what to do, as I am not in the best of financial situations.

Any other better ways to make money from small amounts of money like that?

Thank you guys
Reply 13
Thanks for reply unfortunately I already set up a debit to pay for investment in a few companies. Not sure what to do, as I am not in the best of financial situations.

Any other better ways to make money from small amounts of money like that?

Thank you guys

Betting if you know what you're upto.
Reply 14
Original post by Quady
Betting if you know what you're upto.

cheers for the reply but was looking for a more determined way of investing as in more secure with better odds.
Reply 15
Original post by Hedgeman49
What you don't realise is that owning a share in Brewdog entitles you to go to their AGM which is essentially a massive piss up / music festival, so it's more than your standard stock on a screen. Some people purchase them purely for that reason notwithstanding the potential profits.

Whether I realised that is besides the point, I was evaluating it as an investment opportunity, and Quady was blowing its horn as a sure thing investment.
Reply 16
Original post by Quady
I didnt, I put £95 in for my dad too. At the time I was pumping more money into whisky.
As you say its illiquid and with risk. Just the suggestion that you cant do anything with £100 is laughable

Well, you can't do anything with £100 really can you, nothing that is fairly low risk but provides any sort of return within a couple of years. If you buy shares for example you lose at least £5-20 in fees which means your shares need to increase in value by 25% (if the fee is £20) just to break even on what you put in. No one starts investing when they have £100 of cash in the bank unless they have done no research at all.
To make money from investments you need to be investing serious amounts of money; not that I'm saying £150 isn't enough. But the more you give, the more you receive, with a increased risk on your own equity. In my opinion I would save it and then place a bigger investment on to something like the stock market.
cheers for the reply but was looking for a more determined way of investing as in more secure with better odds.

Ive suggested ways that regardless of outcome you make money
Original post by FVP
Well, you can't do anything with £100 really can you, nothing that is fairly low risk but provides any sort of return within a couple of years. If you buy shares for example you lose at least £5-20 in fees which means your shares need to increase in value by 25% (if the fee is £20) just to break even on what you put in. No one starts investing when they have £100 of cash in the bank unless they have done no research at all.

Hows about a 1400% in 6 weeks?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending