The Student Room Group

What does marriage mean to you?

To me it seems strange how one who is already living/cohabiting with his or her partner can get so excited about becoming engaged. In that scenario I don't get what the difference is, it seems merely a step to make the commitment on paper.' We've already made a commitment to spend our likes together, let's formslise it on paper'.

Compared to the couple who aren't aleady cohabiting...'lets get married because I want to spend the rest of my life with you'. It's more symbolic.

I don't get the point of the former. Put that wedding money to better use.

Scroll to see replies

It means half my deen :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nothing. If you truly love someone you don't need marriage to prove it.
To me it's like .. the ultimate commitment :daydreaming:
Reply 4
Original post by Zakir Nike.
It means half my deen :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I like your username

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
it's a waste of money. look what happened to alan harper off two and a half man, whats the point getting involved in something that's gonna leave you poor and homeless

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Maid Marian
To me it's like .. the ultimate commitment :daydreaming:

How is it the ultimate commitment above cohabiting? Apart from being committment on paper.
Reply 7
Sex all day everyday!!!!!!!:ahee:
breakfast in bed

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ProNoob
Sex all day everyday!!!!!!!:ahee:
breakfast in bed

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're already doing that in a cohabiting relationship.
Marriage is a contract, telling each other that no matter what happens, both partners will stick together. That both partners fully trust and love one another. That they want to grow old together. That they understand each other and would do anything to have each other in their life.

Shame I won't be getting married, don't believe in it. I don't believe there is a person out there who is made for you, there's no such thing as a soulmate. One way or another, everyone will get f*cked over by a person they love. There is no one in the world who will understand you, trust you, confide in you, be honest with you and love you, till the moment they die. It just doesn't exist.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Slim and proud
You're already doing that in a cohabiting relationship.

Not me
Mans is saving his virginity for his wify:cool:
And my wify better keep her virginity for me

Posted from TSR Mobile
To me its BS. In the event you want to split up then things get hugely complicated. As the proud owner of a penis, I am not gonna make it easy for me to get tucked right up.
Original post by ProNoob
Not me
Mans is saving his virginity for his wify:cool:
And my wify better keep her virginity for me

Posted from TSR Mobile

When you put it that way I understand.
Marriage doesn't make sense, because it doesn't mean what it once did. Ownership.
Kids and a mortgage.
Original post by Afghan Warrior
Marriage is a contract, telling each other that no matter what happens, both partners will stick together. That both partners fully trust and love one another. That they want to grow old together. That they understand each other and would do anything to have each other in their life.

Shame I won't be getting married, don't believe in it. I don't believe there is a person out there who is made for you, there's no such thing as a soulmate. One way or another, everyone will get f*cked over by a person they love. There is no one in the world who will understand you, trust you, confide in you, be honest with you and love you, till the moment they die. It just doesn't exist.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So butt hurt in this post.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I feel that marriage is the ultimate promise. It's completely, totally giving yourself to the other person for the rest of your life, and them doing the same for you. In my opinion, it is the ultimate sign of true love, and I feel that when marriages break down it's nobody's fault per sé but that the people involved didn't fully immerse themselves or understand the promises that they were making when they made them. Obviously I'm talking about a normal relationship, not an abusive one, unfortunately a lot of people feel trapped in those situations which is never good. I'm gonna take my time and not rush into marriage, I want to be completely sure that I want to remain with the person forever. :-)
Original post by Slim and proud
When you put it that way I understand.

:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is a question I struggle with a lot. Being married, it's very confusing to figure out what exactly it is. There's obviously the legal aspect which brings security and peace of mind for many issues. It's also very intimate personally. There isn't a tangible change and things don't feel obviously different but...they are. There is a new seriousness to the relationship. A new....commitment. Although to me that might mean something different to others, being poly and all.
Original post by RandZul'Zorander
This is a question I struggle with a lot. Being married, it's very confusing to figure out what exactly it is. There's obviously the legal aspect which brings security and peace of mind for many issues. It's also very intimate personally. There isn't a tangible change and things don't feel obviously different but...they are. There is a new seriousness to the relationship. A new....commitment. Although to me that might mean something different to others, being poly and all.

Interesting...

I take it you're already in a cohabiting relationship?

Quick Reply