Should Private & grammar schools be scrapped??

Watch
coconuthead--
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I attend grammar love the atmosphere, but on here I always see people complaining! What do you think??
Afghan Warrior
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No they shouldn't. I go to a grammar school and I must say they teach you how to fight in competitions and give you the skills you need in life. Stressful, but worth it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Artimus
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No they shouldn't.
username1500433
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Private schools take weight off the state school system. Also, despite many people saying they are unfair etc, they do offer scholarships and bursaries which can give incredible opportunities to some, albeit only a few, students.
billyfisher100
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by coconuthead--)
I attend grammar love the atmosphere, but on here I always see people complaining! What do you think??
Absolutely not - Labour made one of their worst decisions (well, as if they ever made any good ones) in the 70s when they decided to close the majority of our grammar schools in favour of the state comprehensive. This has impeded on the ability for able students from less-advantaged backgrounds to achieve their full potentials and top university places, as they are held back by some of the louts that attend the state comprehensive.
Also, imagine how many school place shortages if the 7% that attend private school went to a state school?
coconuthead--
Rep:
?
(Original post by billyfisher100)
Absolutely not - Labour made one of their worst decisions (well, as if they ever made any good ones) in the 70s when they decided to close the majority of our grammar schools in favour of the state comprehensive. This has impeded on the ability for able students from less-advantaged backgrounds to achieve their full potentials and top university places, as they are held back by some of the louts that attend the state comprehensive.
Also, imagine how many school place shortages if the 7% that attend private school went to a state school?
OMGG so true!!but then there's these articles about social mobility and how ethnic minorites are improving
billyfisher100
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
OMGG so true!!but then there's these articles about social mobility and how ethnic minorites are improving
To be honest, I don't really give a monkeys about ethnic minorities - I care about intelligent British children, irrespective of colour or race, not being able to achieve their full potential in the mixed ability/comprehensive system.

Also, where is the competition? From a young age, students should be encouraged to compete against each other to be top of the class in grammar schools with like-minded people - this is where the successful results come through.
coconuthead--
Rep:
?
To be honest, I don't really give a monkeys about ethnic minorities - I care about intelligent British children, irrespective of colour or race, not being able to achieve their full potential in the mixed ability/comprehensive system.

Also, where is the competition? From a young age, students should be encouraged to compete against each other to be top of the class in grammar schools with like-minded people - this is where the successful results come through.
Usually it's the comprehensive where bullying occurs and the chavs are in charge. Uni entrance should be simply based on merit-if you get the grades you're in, if not deal with it. But, there should be allowances for poor comprehensive school kids who have to deal with chavs that don't want to learn. I feel the whole education system should be revamped-every comprehensive should become a grammar.
coconuthead--
Rep:
?
(Original post by will_jg)
Private schools take weight off the state school system. Also, despite many people saying they are unfair etc, they do offer scholarships and bursaries which can give incredible opportunities to some, albeit only a few, students.
Where 99% enter higher education and go to good unis
coconuthead--
Rep:
?
(Original post by Afghan Warrior)
No they shouldn't. I go to a grammar school and I must say they teach you how to fight in competitions and give you the skills you need in life. Stressful, but worth it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
exactly!! these life skills and you're actually taught how to learn-basic skills
billyfisher100
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Usually it's the comprehensive where bullying occurs and the chavs are in charge. Uni entrance should be simply based on merit-if you get the grades you're in, if not deal with it. But, there should be allowances for poor comprehensive school kids who have to deal with chavs that don't want to learn. I feel the whole education system should be revamped-every comprehensive should become a grammar.
And we should reestablish technical colleges (which were also shut down by the Labour Government) for people who aren't so academically-minded and encourage them into apprenticeships pre-GCSEs so that they end up doing a vocational course (have you seen how much some plumbers earn?!) rather than leading them to a life on welfare.

But, yes, I agree about the reintroduction of grammar schools.
coconuthead--
Rep:
?
And we should reestablish technical colleges (which were also shut down by the Labour Government) for people who aren't so academically-minded and encourage them into apprenticeships pre-GCSEs so that they end up doing a vocational course (have you seen how much some plumbers earn?!) rather than leading them to a life on welfare.

But, yes, I agree about the reintroduction of grammar schools.
Yes, not everyone is for the academic university route, although people take the piss out of "Mickey mouse degrees". It would just benefit the younger generation, than those louts turning out to be embarrassing parents fir the next generation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hippy03
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No they shouldn't,they allow the most capable people to succeed. Not saying that comprehensive schools do not do this,but the atmosphere and work ethic is more conducive at grammar schools.

Posted from TSR Mobile
uncommonsensing
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I go to a comprehensive school and it's not the most brilliant one either, it's in the bottom 40% performing schools I believe. But plenty of people manage to succeed here nevertheless. In the year above mine, 4 people got into Oxbridge last year. People consistently manage to get A*'s. I feel like my grades would have only marginally improved if I'd gone to a grammar or private school.

So if people can clearly succeed at the average comprehensive, why do we need grammar schools and private schools? I don't like the idea of separating good kids and bad kids, haves and have-nots, clever and stupid at all. I think it would be far better if everyone went to comprehensives so we get a true picture of intelligence and everyone has mixed with all kinds of people rather than being sheltered from them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maid Marian
Badges: 20
Report 6 years ago
I'm starting to think that people only oppose grammar schools because they failed to get in one themselves :moon:

They're great schools, nothing wrong with them. I don't know why some people dislike them :moon:
Plantagenet Crown
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Nope, I've been to both a Private and a Grammar school and they're good. Scrapping them would destroy the education system...
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
destroying the Grammar schools is akin to what "ISIS" are doing to the heritage of Mesopotamia
Kvothe the Arcane
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Idk. It's my opinion that there should be more grammar schools, if anything.

But the problem with selective schools is what happens to those that don't meet the cut.
Wade-
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Banning private schools is a ridiculous idea and there should be more grammar schools. For the children not smart enough or rich enough to get into either then unfortunately that's how it goes, some people have to be the cogs in the machine

Posted from TSR Mobile
RayApparently
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

I probably disagree with you on virtually every other political issue but I do believe the wider grammar school system needs to be reintroduced.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (31)
28.97%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (10)
9.35%
No I am happy with my choice (59)
55.14%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (7)
6.54%

Watched Threads