B757 - Parliamentary Parties Finance Act 2015 (Second Reading)

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Birchington
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
B757 - Parliamentary Parties Finance Act 2015 (Second Reading), TSR Green Party

An Act to remove Parliamentary parties out of direct influence of the private sector.

IN ACCORDANCE with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, and upon the signing into law by the President of the British Republic, as follows: -

1: Parties
(1) Political parties cannot accept donations from any source other than that of the Treasury and party membership fees.
(2) Funding from the Treasury is as follows:
(2.1) for the House of Commons £21,000,000 should be split as per section 2 of this bill;
(2.2) parties in the Welsh Assembly should receive funding of £3,500,000, divided as per section 2 of this bill;
(2.3) parties in the Scottish Parliament should receive £7,000,000, divided as per section 2 of this bill;
(2.4) parties in the Northern Ireland Assembly should receive funding of £3,500,000, divided as per section 2 of this bill.
(2.5) Funding given as per paragraphs (2.2), (2.3) and (2.4) of this section may not be moved out of the devolved institution's catchment zone.
(3) Membership fees must not exceed £15 per year.
(4) Parts (1) and (2) of this section do not apply to parties who have less than 1% of the total vote share, and do not have a seat in the House of Commons or a devolved institution.

2: Party Pay
(1) Part finance is divided up as follows:
(1.1) Membership:
(1.1.1) 40% of the funding from the Government or devolved institution fund shall be divvied out based on the proportion of membership compared to the total membership of all parties.
(1.1.2) This shall be updated at the start of every tax year.
(1.1.3) For every drop of 1000 members, compared to the tax year previous, the funding a party will receive for membership, as laid out in (1.1.1), shall be reduced cumulatively by 1%.
(1.1.4) For every gain of 1000 members, compared to the tax year previous, the funding a party will receive for membership, as laid out in (1.1.1), shall be increased cumulatively by 1%.
(1.2) Vote share:
(1.2.1) 40% of the funding from the Government or devolved institution fund shall be divvied out on the proportion of votes for that party in the elected body, compared to the total votes of all parties.
(1.2.2) This shall be updated every tax year to reflect voting shares changed via by-elections held that year.
(I) the vote share change is calculated by assuming that all votes remain the same but changes via by-election are replaced accordingly
(1.2.3) For every gain of 1% of the vote share, compared to the previous year, the funding as laid out in (1.2.1) of this paragraph will increase cumulatively by 1%.
(1.2.4) For every loss of 1% of the vote share, compared to the previous year, the funding as laid out in (1.2.1) of this paragraph will decrease cumulatively by 1%.
(1.3) Seat share:
(1.3.1) 20% of the funding from the Government or devolved institution fund shall be divvied out based on the proportion of seats that party has in the House of Commons or institution, compared to the total number of seats in the House of Commons or institution.

3: Elected Officials
(1) Elected officials of any level may not accept money or assets, with the exceptions of:
(1.1) money as pay from the Treasury, for either expenses or as regular pay for their duties,
(1.2) from family;
(1.2.1) this may not exceed £10,000 per annum per person,
(1.3) from friends;
(1.3.1) this may not exceed £1,000 per annum per person, and
(1.3.2) may not exceed a total of £10,000 per annum,
(1.4) from the estate of the deceased;
(1.4.1) this may not exceed £5,000 per annum.
(1.4.1.1) There is no restriction to the estate that may be gained from family within two generations.
(1.5) From other regular jobs;
(1.5.1) any MP cannot enter into secondary employment.
(2) An elected officials loan company is to be set up, should any elected official be at risk of financial trouble.
(2.1) Interest rates shall be set at half that of inflation, and all loans must be paid back in full within 5 years.

4: Punishments
(1) Any political party found in contempt of section 1 paragraph (1) shall be fined twice the value of the donation they received.
(1.1) Upon a second breach within 5 years:
(1.1.1) if said party is in control of Parliament or a devolved legislative authority, that session of governance shall be dissolved and an election is to be called immediately.
(1.1.1.1) This may be a majority or coalition control.
(1.1.2) That party shall have its funding halved for 3 years.
(1.2) Upon a third breach within 5 years:
(1.2.1) that party shall be barred from standing in all elections for 3 years.
(2) Any party found in contempt of section 1 paragraph (2.5):
(2.1) shall be barred from standing for election in the devolved assembly's region for 5 years, and
(2.2) shall be fined double the amount of misappropriated funds, which are to be added to the funds of that devolved body.
(3) MPs found in contempt of section 2:
(3.1) will have assets seized equal to the value of the payments received, as per the Proceeds of Crime Act.
(3.2) Upon a second offence, the MP is subject to expulsion from their seat in Parliament or the devolved body, at the discretion of the President.
(3.3) Upon a third offence:
(3.3.1) the member will be expelled from their seat in Parliament or the devolved body, and
(3.3.2) be barred from entering all official executive and legislative buildings for life, and
(3.3.3) be subject to up to 3 years in prison.
(4) Cabinet ministers found in contempt of section 2 whilst in office:
(4.1) shall be removed from office and be barred from entering any official executive and legislative buildings for life, and
(4.2) may have their policies made in office reviewed by a select committee, and revoked if the committee finds that a policy benefited the person who provided private funding to the minister.
(4.3) Should it be the Prime Minister or Deputy Prime Minister found in contempt whilst they are still in office, Parliament will be dissolved and an election will be held immediately.
(5) Only the Supreme Court can hear these cases, and all trials must end within 6 months.
(5.1) The person is found guilty if at least 50% of the court agree with the charges.

5: Definitions used in this Act
(1) Devolved assembly: is defined as either the Welsh, Northern Irish or Scottish parliaments.
(2) Executive and legislative buildings: include but are not limited to 10 Downing Street, the Palace of Westminster, the Welsh Assembly building, the Scottish Parliament building, the Northern Irish Assembly building, the presidential palace.
(3) Cabinet minister: any Member of Parliament or devolved region official with non-elected powers beyond that of a normal elected official of the same body.
(4) Elected official: any Member of Parliament or of a devolved assembly.
(5) Tax year is defined as starting in April. Should a general election be scheduled for that year, the start of the tax year will be defined as the day after the results of the election are announced.

6: Title, extent and enactment
1) This Act can be referenced as the Parliamentary Parties Finance Act 2015.
2) The Act extends to the whole of British Republic, and
3) shall come into force immediately after passing.[/FONT]

Notes Cumulative funding, as described in section 2, means that if a party gained 1000 members, it would receive 101% of its membership funding, and if it gained 2000 members it would receive 102.01% of its membership funding.

Using this system, UKIP would receive approximately £468,000 for their membership proportion, and £501,760 after adjustment.
Notes
This means that they would receive £336,000 from their vote share, £339,000 after adjustment and £12,923 for their seat share in 2014, making a total of £853,683 of funding.

The Green Party (England and Wales)
This means that they would receive £426,000 for membership, £525,000 after adjustment, £6,462 for MPs and £84,000 for their vote share (no adjustment) in 2014, giving them an appoximate £615,462 in funding for the year 2014.

http://www.parliament.uk/Templates/B...?bp-id=sn05125[FONT=Verdana]

This assumes a total national party membership of 700,000 - about 1% of the population.
RayApparently
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm still weary of the tax payer funding political parties. Would my tax pounds be going to the Tories? To UKIP? No thanks.

The Supreme Court process also seems a bit dodgy to me.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Is "divvy up" really the sort of phrasing for a bill??

Anyway, still not keen.
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by O133)
Lol :lol:
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
'Nay'.

If people wish to fund political parties then they should able to. You can weaken their power in other ways such as better lobbying laws, requirements for becoming a Lord ect...
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by RayApparently)
I'm still weary of the tax payer funding political parties. Would my tax pounds be going to the Tories? To UKIP? No thanks.

The Supreme Court process also seems a bit dodgy to me.
Chanses are it wouldn't go to a party you didn't vote for... Due to tge wat it'd be divided.

also there has to be a way to rule the party is wrong.
The Financier
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Nay.
username1524603
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I dislike 2.1 as party membership is not a measure of party popularity but how active its supporters are, and section 3 has multiple loopholes in making the entire section worthless. Neither do I want my tax money to go towards funding a parties I strongly disagree with on all levels.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
I dislike 2.1 as party membership is not a measure of party popularity but how active its supporters are, and section 3 has multiple loopholes in making the entire section worthless. Neither do I want my tax money to go towards funding a parties I strongly disagree with on all levels.
I'm pretty sure you were one of the people who argued in the last version that membership should be used...
and again chanses are it wouldn't.
username1524603
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
I'm pretty sure you were one of the people who argued in the last version that membership should be used...
and again chanses are it wouldn't.
You are confusing me for someone else as I never argued membership numbers should be used. Since the concerns I did raise have not been addressed I will have to give this an unsurprising no.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
You are confusing me for someone else as I never argued membership numbers should be used. Since the concerns I did raise have not been addressed I will have to give this an unsurprising no.
Really? Sorry. Then what were you're concerns other then section 3?
Jean-Luc Picard
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Aye
Fernand126
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Nay.
GoldenEmblem277
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Nah.
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Nay
DaveSmith99
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Aye
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by mobbsy91)
Nay
(Original post by GoldenEmblem277)
Nah.
(Original post by Fernand126)
Nay.
(Original post by The Financier)
Nay.
(Original post by O133)

Anyway, still not keen.
Why?
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
Why?
Not sure I like the idea that donations are bad and parties should be funded by the state.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by O133)
Not sure I like the idea that donations are bad and parties should be funded by the state.
doanations put parties under private influence though.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
doanations put parties under private influence though.
OK? Why shouldn't someone be able to donate to a cause they believe in?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (97)
28.36%
No - I have already returned home (44)
12.87%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (65)
19.01%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (35)
10.23%
No - I live at home during term anyway (101)
29.53%

Watched Threads