The Student Room Group

QTS Skills Test 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jp06
Can anyone help with Literacy, specifically, the comprehension part. PLEASEEEEE

I am more mathematically minded so initially found the literacy tests quite daunting. However, they are actually pretty simple when you think about it. Here is how I thought about them.

You have about 45 minutes to complete the test. The first 10-12 questions are spellings. I am rubbish at spelling so it is pot luck for me as to whether I can do well or not. However, you should be able to rattle through them pretty quickly. You either know them or you don't and have to make a guess.

The punctuation part is a gift. 15 marks for free. Again, you should be able to get the lions share of these marks within 5 - 8 mins.

Then there is the grammar section. If you know the basics of grammar this really isn't too hard. Generally, there is only one obviously correct answer. Again allow 5 - 8 minutes for two passages.

So that leaves 20 - 25 minutes for the comprehension. Just read the text very carefully. Make notes on each paragraph if that helps and take your time. When you have completed you should have a few minutes to review your answers. Alas, when I tried to do this, my computer crashed... twice. Ho hum. Still I passed so that is all that matters.

I thoroughly recommend this book to help you
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Passing-Literacy-Skills-Test-Achieving/dp/1473913438/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1467399090&sr=8-1&keywords=literacy+skills+test

Good luck!
Reply 381
I passed my maths skills test a few weeks ago. I can honestly say the tests are much harder than the practice papers. With plenty of revision on decimals, time, fractions, percentages and conversions (KM,M) for the mental arithmetic you will be fine.

Remember to listen first time round and take any notes down, and then work out your answer on the 2nd hearing.

On the written arithmetic and data- this was on two way tables, pie charts, box and whisker diagrams and line graphs. Make sure you read the question, a common mistake when you are rushing against time.

I had my friend help me on the mental arithmetic, she timed me for every question and we went through lots of practice questions.

I purchased this book which covered alot of the material in the exam:

Pass the Qts Numeracy Skills Test with Ease : 2014 -2015
By (author) Vali Nasser

Hope this helps, Good Luck!!
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can help me , i recently decided to change my uni course completely to Primary education but I realised i needed to pass the Skills Test so I have booked an appointment, It says you need to take evidence of Initial Teacher Training Candidates Application but I don't have this because intend on going through clearing onto the course, Am I too late to do this? I'm really confused now, any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
what is the pass mark?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending