bart96
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
The time to send in my final decision with my firm choice is getting closer and I have trouble deciding between Aston and Newcastle University. I am planning on doing Business and Management course but I cannot decide between the two univerities so I decided to ask you guys for your personal opinion and I would be very grateful if you could help me make up my mind.

Here is how I see the Pros and Cons of both Aston and Newcastle:

ASTON:

• Great business school with good reputation
  • Great placement year
  • Big, interesting city (this one can seem rather scary as well)
  • Birmingham is more expensive than Newcastle
  • The building of the university itself may seem rather depressing

NEWCASTLE:

• Russel Group university
  • Also good Business and Management course but I have doubts if its reputation is better than the Aston one
  • Also offers placement year but I am not to sure if it is paid
  • Newcastle looks so welcoming and charming but also offers a lot of culture and nightlife
  • The city itself is rather isolated
  • Newcastle is cheaper (in terms of accomodation and such)

These are some of my thoughts and I would be sincerely grateful if you could share your opinion. I want to go to a university that has good reputation and graduate prospectus and would also give me a solid fondation for my career.
Thanks in advance for your help!
paul514
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Astons business school is better than Newcastle's end of story on that point...........

The main building isn't where you will be spending your time the business people are in a different building (also the main buildings wings are all being blown up over the coming years).

Personally Newcastle is my idea of a nightmare however Aston has a truly crap student union (hardly anyone uses it) and the campus is small (a bad thing for me).

On the Russel Group it really only matters if it is certain Uni's inside of that group rather than the Sheffield's and Newcastle's of the group.

Why didn't you look at UoB if you like Birmingham? That is a better all round Uni.
Aston University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by bart96)
The time to send in my final decision with my firm choice is getting closer and I have trouble deciding between Aston and Newcastle University. I am planning on doing Business and Management course but I cannot decide between the two univerities so I decided to ask you guys for your personal opinion and I would be very grateful if you could help me make up my mind.

ASTON:

• Great placement year

NEWCASTLE:

• Also good Business and Management course but I have doubts if its reputation is better than the Aston one
  • Newcastle looks so welcoming and charming but also offers a lot of culture and nightlife

These are some of my thoughts and I would be sincerely grateful if you could share your opinion. I want to go to a university that has good reputation and graduate prospectus and would also give me a solid fondation for my career.
Hi there,

rather than try and cram marketing messages down your throat, i was wondering if you had any particular questions about the university, student life or Birmingham as a city in general?

I'm a 2014 Aston graduate now working for the university and a Birmingham local, so i should be able to answer anything you throw at me.

Good luck with your decision.

Josh
Newcastle University
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi,

Hopefully I can help answer some of your Newcastle questions I graduated from Newcastle Uni in 2014 - I'm originally from the South East but I've lived here for 10 years so I know a lot about the city and student life.
My colleague Rachel, who also posts from this official account, is a current student in the Business School so I'm sure she can help if you have course-related questions

But to go through some of your points...

This pretty much speaks for itself A definite plus when applying to graduate schemes and internships etc

Like Aston our Business School is one of only 20 in the UK with triple accreditation (AACSB, EQUIS and AMBA). You might want to compare graduate prospects - 90% of our Business Management graduates were in employment or further education 6 months graduating. You can see some details (like average graduate salary and some of the careers our grads go into) here http://www.ncl.ac.uk/careers/dlhe/co...x.php?crs=N200

The placement year at Newcastle is definitely paid

Newcastle is regularly voted one of the best - if not the best - student cities in the UK. There's a big student population so there's always plenty going on. There's also a thriving arts and cultural scene, and the city has a lot of beautiful historical architecture. If I start going into detail I won't shut up so I'll just put this link here for now http://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/newcastle/ If you want to know about anything specific let me know

It's not as isolated as you think! Where do you live? We have good transport connections to the rest of the UK - you can get to London in 3 hours on the train (or 1 hour 30 mins by plane from Newcastle International Airport, which direct flights to about 75 other airports around the world). A lot of our student societies run weekend city trips to other UK cities like York, Leeds, Edinburgh and there's a ferry connection to Amsterdam which is also a popular destination

Which helps to make your money go further, which I really appreciated!

There's some more info on our Business School here http://www.ncl.ac.uk/nubs/courses/ and you might find it helpful to read blogs written by current students http://www.oncourse2ncl.co.uk/catego...student-blogs/

Hope that helps, if you have any questions about anything in particular just let us know

Persephone
thelittlehobbit
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I have lived in both Newcastle and Birmingham, In terms of the course I have no idea what's what, however in terms of both the universities, Newcastle is a much better university, they have a new business school here that looks amazing, the city is really amazing, the people are great and friendly and the nightlife is probably the best in the UK.
As for Birmingham the only perks I can think of are that the city is bigger. Aston comparing to Newcastle Uni in general is of much lower standards, it really depends what kind of person you are and what is most important to you.
Since Ncl is a russel group it definitely has a much better students union and such
Aston University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Newcastle University)

This pretty much speaks for itself A definite plus when applying to graduate schemes and internships etc

Persephone

The Russel Group may not actually be all it's cracked up to be. Especially when it comes to employment after your degree. You can see here on average our graduates earn more than those from several Russell Group Institutions.

We also have connections with over 200 graduate employers such as KPMG, Deloitte, Bentley, Microsoft ect. Good luck in making your decision, just don't be blinded by flashy labels.
Noelshaju
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

ASTON:

• Great placement year

NEWCASTLE:

Hey what was your final choice?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (71)
42.77%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (30)
18.07%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (62)
37.35%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (3)
1.81%

Watched Threads