fahim_alaziz
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I had completed my IGCSEs in 7subjects with satisfactory grades.

Now I'm here studying for my AS Units, and I didn't register for my exams because I wasn't well prepared. I'm studying physics and maths (I had dropped chemistry) and now I feel frustrated and worried because most universities would require 3 Alevel Subjects but I have 2 subjects.
I could only study BTEC Aeronautical Engineering but IF in future I turn out to be unsuccessful with this diploma then I would have other options with physics and maths, I just don't want to risk my future and block my access to good universities. Thus, I'm planning to study BTEC Aeronautical Engineering Level 3 Extended Diploma along with Alevel Physics and Maths. So is that possible?
marvalll12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It is possible, but just a lot work.
marvalll12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It is possible, but just a lot work. You are doing academic subjects so I don't see why good universities would not take you if you get the grades
fahim_alaziz
Rep:
?
(Original post by marvalll12)
It is possible, but just a lot work. You are doing academic subjects so I don't see why good universities would not take you if you get the grades
Because I have 2 Alevel subjects, whereas most universities require 3-Alevels.
marvalll12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by fahim_alaziz)
Because I have 2 Alevel subjects, whereas most universities require 3-Alevels.
You should call the Universities that you are interested in and tell them your concerns and see what they have to say.

What are you planning on studying in uni. If it is anything to do with engineering I think you will be fine, but if you are looking to study a subject that is not related, I think your chances are slimmer.
fahim_alaziz
Rep:
?
(Original post by marvalll12)
You should call the Universities that you are interested in and tell them your concerns and see what they have to say.

What are you planning on studying in uni. If it is anything to do with engineering I think you will be fine, but if you are looking to study a subject that is not related, I think your chances are slimmer.
Ik, I haven't decided about the university yet, but most of them have a requirement of 3-Alevels
marvalll12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ik, I haven't decided about the university yet, but most of them have a requirement of 3-Alevels
A friend of mine did a BTEC and still managed to get in to the university of Birmingham which is 17th in the uni league table, but he is studying a media related course as he did a media based BTEC at college. It depends if you get the grades. Make sure you push yourself for the highest grades and you should be fine. Do not put too much stress on yourself as you have a year to think about what universities you want to go to and what you want to do.
yt7777
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I had completed my IGCSEs in 7subjects with satisfactory grades.

Now I'm here studying for my AS Units, and I didn't register for my exams because I wasn't well prepared. I'm studying physics and maths (I had dropped chemistry) and now I feel frustrated and worried because most universities would require 3 Alevel Subjects but I have 2 subjects.
I could only study BTEC Aeronautical Engineering but IF in future I turn out to be unsuccessful with this diploma then I would have other options with physics and maths, I just don't want to risk my future and block my access to good universities. Thus, I'm planning to study BTEC Aeronautical Engineering Level 3 Extended Diploma along with Alevel Physics and Maths. So is that possible?
That will be a lot of work tbh, the Extended diploma is the equivalent of 3 A levels and then doing a further 2 would be very hard, if you are looking to study engineering at uni contact some of the unis you're interested in and see what they're requirements are, because some that require AAA includi g maths and physics A level, the BTEC requirements do not usually include physics, its usually like DDD in Engineering + A in Maths.

So you may not need to take physics but have a read of the entry requirements and email some if you are unsure

Hope this helps
fahim_alaziz
Rep:
?
(Original post by yt7777)
That will be a lot of work tbh, the Extended diploma is the equivalent of 3 A levels and then doing a further 2 would be very hard, if you are looking to study engineering at uni contact some of the unis you're interested in and see what they're requirements are, because some that require AAA includi g maths and physics A level, the BTEC requirements do not usually include physics, its usually like DDD in Engineering + A in Maths.

So you may not need to take physics but have a read of the entry requirements and email some if you are unsure

Hope this helps
I was thinking of taking physics and maths along because bychance if I don't study aeronautical engineering (because it's an expensive subject) I could then shift to other subjects related to physics and maths, but if I only do the BTEC I wont be able to change my mind later on.
yt7777
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I was thinking of taking physics and maths along because bychance if I don't study aeronautical engineering (because it's an expensive subject) I could then shift to other subjects related to physics and maths, but if I only do the BTEC I wont be able to change my mind later on.
What do you mean expensive?

That's a good plan but it will be a lot of work, you could try and take the BTEC subsidiary(1Alevel) or BTEC Diploma (2 A levels) which would lessen the workload for you and you'd still get you 3/4 A levels that you need for uni, I think doing the Extended diploma + 2 A levels would be a crazy amount of work
fahim_alaziz
Rep:
?
(Original post by yt7777)
What do you mean expensive?

That's a good plan but it will be a lot of work, you could try and take the BTEC subsidiary(1Alevel) or BTEC Diploma (2 A levels) which would lessen the workload for you and you'd still get you 3/4 A levels that you need for uni, I think doing the Extended diploma + 2 A levels would be a crazy amount of work
Ik, I would have taken subsidiary or diploma but I cannot find any institute where they provide these education. There's only HND and ND.

How much hard work I have to do on a scale of 10?
yt7777
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ik, I would have taken subsidiary or diploma but I cannot find any institute where they provide these education. There's only HND and ND.

How much hard work I have to do on a scale of 10?
Not sure I haven't done the Engineering BTEC, I did IT.

It depends on what units you have to do because some will be harder than others I think the units starting with 'further' are meant to be harder like 'further maths for engineering', further mechanics', 'further electronics' etc. But then again I could be wrong.

But 18 units whatever they are will be a lot of work, I think I averaged about 10k words (maybe more) per unit on my extended diploma.
fahim_alaziz
Rep:
?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (154)
59.46%
No I haven't decided yet (60)
23.17%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.37%

Watched Threads