?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Edit!
sk88
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That's a pretty bad situation to be in. The first thing you should do is take them off your insurance and do not let them drive the car - your insurance would be invalid if anything was to happen as false information has been provided to them. Letting them drive the car would make you liable for 6 points and them too I believe

The above needs to be done regardless of whether the camera/police van catches your partner. I would also be pretty furious as it is a serious lie to say, no one should be driving on the road without a license.

At the same time if a PCN does come through for the offence under no circumstances should you take the points, inform the issuing authority who the driver was at let them face the consequences.

I'm not sure if you'll come out scuff free from this - as I don't know what precautions one should take when letting someone else drive their car - I think you should have satisfied yoursef beyond reasonable doubt that your partner had a valid driving license, and valid insurance to drive the vehicle.

Wish you all the best as its not a nice position to be in - no one would doubt their partner over a matter such as holding a license. On another note there is no excuse for someone to not have their license on them - it takes just a week or so to get a replacement and at current I think its £12 for a replacement photocard!
Lambert87
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by sk88)
That's a pretty bad situation to be in. The first thing you should do is take them off your insurance and do not let them drive the car - your insurance would be invalid if anything was to happen as false information has been provided to them. Letting them drive the car would make you liable for 6 points and them too I believe

The above needs to be done regardless of whether the camera/police van catches your partner. I would also be pretty furious as it is a serious lie to say, no one should be driving on the road without a license.

At the same time if a PCN does come through for the offence under no circumstances should you take the points, inform the issuing authority who the driver was at let them face the consequences.

I'm not sure if you'll come out scuff free from this - as I don't know what precautions one should take when letting someone else drive their car - I think you should have satisfied yoursef beyond reasonable doubt that your partner had a valid driving license, and valid insurance to drive the vehicle.

Wish you all the best as its not a nice position to be in - no one would doubt their partner over a matter such as holding a license. On another note there is no excuse for someone to not have their license on them - it takes just a week or so to get a replacement and at current I think its £12 for a replacement photocard!
Thanks for your help.. Just been reading about taking car without consent which is a custodial sentence... Does this apply here? I gave consent as I thought they had a license?

Posted from TSR Mobile
sk88
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Lambert87)
Thanks for your help.. Just been reading about taking car without consent which is a custodial sentence... Does this apply here? I gave consent as I thought they had a license?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think a custodial sentence would apply - but its not a straight forward case as your partner technically had consent to take the vehicle but under false pretences. Either way I believe the best action if a speeding fine does come through is be honest and its likely you will not face any action against yourself but your partner is likely to get a lot of points (9+) on their provisional (6 for driving without insurance and 3 for speeding) and possibly a custodial sentence of some sort.
username239687
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'd be very surprised, if you do get a letter through the door, that when it comes to light your partner has no license, you got off scot-free too OP. You could be collateral in all of this by having void insurance and driving yourself.
Boristhethird
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
as (i assume) your name is on the V5, then you have let them drive the car with no licence, and therefore no insurance, then you are also liable to getting enorsemtns/points on your licence.

i dont know what to do about the possibility of the this potential speeding ticket, but id be pissed and defiantly take them off of the insurance
spyka
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well he'll probably be done for:

No insurance (invalid with no licence)
Driving with no licence
Speeding

Which will all give quite a big fine, although not having a licence will mean they can't ban him or issue points (well, they can, but it won't have any impact obviously)

You yourself could be prosecuted for permitting him to drive with no insurance.

Unfortunately no insurance is a strict liability offence, if there is no valid insurance you're almost always going to be guilty. If he forged docs or similar then that could amount to defence but if his assurance was all he gave you that's generally not enough for you to plea not guilty. However it may be something to put forward to the court (if it gets that far) and they may consider it special reasons to not endorse your own licence.
blue n white army
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Surely this is a situation where some discretion should be applied and common sense should prevail?

I'd recommend taking him off the insurance and stopping him from driving the car, that way if it does come back to you, you can at least say "well as soon as I found out I put a stop to it"

Don't take the points for him either. unlicensed, uninsured drivers need to be punished, they're part of the reason that car insurance costs so much!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (77)
63.64%
I don't have everything I need (44)
36.36%

Watched Threads