The Student Room Group

I am struggling with praying 5 times a day.

I'm finding it really difficult these days to pray all 5 prayers and I feel extremely guilty.

I miss the noon, mid-noon and sunset prayers because I'm at university/placements and I don't get home till 7. That means I pray all 3 in one go. Then I pray the evening prayer before I go to sleep. Praying at dawn is easy since I wake up at 5:30am.

It's really tough. I don't know what to do... I'm so tired when I get home that I sometimes just don't have the energy to pray.

Scroll to see replies

Instead of trying to achieve 5 prayers a day, could you not incrementally increase the number of prayers you say? Maybe try to do the 5 prayers on weekends or maybe during week, try to slot of one extra prayer during the day? And slowly over time, you can slowly add more prayers until you finally reach the point where you are doing 5 a day, every day.
Original post by The Epicurean
Instead of trying to achieve 5 prayers a day, could you not incrementally increase the number of prayers you say? Maybe try to do the 5 prayers on weekends or maybe during week, try to slot of one extra prayer during the day? And slowly over time, you can slowly add more prayers until you finally reach the point where you are doing 5 a day, every day.

No it does't work like that. I need to pray 5 times EVERY single day at set times, of course if you miss the set time you can make them up which is what I do with the 3 prayers that coincide with university. So for example you can't pray todays prayer tomorrow, well you could but it doesn't make sense.
Nah, seriously tho.

Post this in the isoc thread, my dear brother/sister. They should give you some good advice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by The Zoologist
No it does't work like that. I need to pray 5 times EVERY single day at set times, of course if you miss the set time you can make them up which is what I do with the 3 prayers that coincide with university. So for example you can't pray todays prayer tomorrow, well you could but it doesn't make sense.

Well, personally, I wouldn't say it makes sense at all. I guess I am just more lenient and compassionate than your religion and its dictations :dontknow:

If it were in reference to the 5 a day of fruit and veg as member above mentioned, my advice would be considered rather reasonable. But I guess when religion lacks reasonability or leniency, then no advice can really be given. Just do it, or don't do it.
Reply 5
I'm finding it really difficult these days to pray all 5 prayers and I feel extremely guilty.

I miss the noon, mid-noon and sunset prayers because I'm at university/placements and I don't get home till 7. That means I pray all 3 in one go. Then I pray the evening prayer before I go to sleep. Praying at dawn is easy since I wake up at 5:30am.

It's really tough. I don't know what to do... I'm so tired when I get home that I sometimes just don't have the energy to pray.

You have some good advice here:

If you struggle to pray 5 times a day, keep praying as best as you can and pray for Allah's love and mercy. Pray that you are given strength by Him to follow that which He has asked you to follow. Seek to build a better relationship with Allah and seek to develop a connection with Salaah.

What follows are some excerpts from what I've previously written. Please do take a read by clicking the spoiler buttons below :h:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Reply 6
Well, personally, I wouldn't say it makes sense at all. I guess I am just more lenient and compassionate than your religion and its dictations :dontknow:

If it were in reference to the 5 a day of fruit and veg as member above mentioned, my advice would be considered rather reasonable. But I guess when religion lacks reasonability or leniency, then no advice can really be given. Just do it, or don't do it.

Unfortunately, it didn't last for long...
When one lacks a connection to Salaah, one can feel it to be a chore rather than a blessing.

You've shown your true colours with this post.
Original post by ash92:)
Unfortunately, it didn't last for long...
When one lacks a connection to Salaah, one can feel it to be a chore rather than a blessing.

If you say so... I never stated I was all compassionate and all lenient. I merely stated that it appears I am more lenient and compassionate that his religion dictates. I would deem a person attempting to do better is a good deed, but according to his religion (as he follows it), it is all or nothing and striving to be better is apparently worthless, in which case, what advice can I really offer? The only advice I can offer is one that entails compassion and leniency, and if that compassion and leniency is unworkable, then I have nothing to offer.

You've shown your true colours with this post.

The only advice I can offer is leniency and compassion. Neither are workable according to you, and so then, what can I offer?
(edited 9 years ago)
Well couldn't you pray to Allah to give you more motivation?
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Well couldn't you pray to Allah to give you more motivation?

I actually do, I think I'm just being lazy tbh. If only I could find a way to pray during uni I could make it work. But I can't leave a lecture/clinical practice to go to pray. Wish that I could...
I actually do, I think I'm just being lazy tbh. If only I could find a way to pray during uni I could make it work. But I can't leave a lecture/clinical practice to go to pray. Wish that I could...

Surely you have breaks in between lectures?
If you say so... I never stated I was all compassionate and all lenient. I merely stated that it appears I am more lenient and compassionate that his religion dictates. I would deem a person attempting to do better is a good deed, but according to his religion (as he follows it), it is all or nothing and striving to be better is apparently worthless, in which case, what advice can I really offer? The only advice I can offer is one that entails compassion and leniency, and if that compassion and leniency is unworkable, then I have nothing to offer.

The only advice I can offer is leniency and compassion. Neither are workable according to you, and so then, what can I offer?

I'm sorry but you knew what you were doing when you constructed that post. I can't believe that I was tricked by you even now looking at your first post it's clear that it was all setting you up for the punchline.
Surely you have breaks in between lectures?

I did in previous years but this year my timetable is literally crammed from 9-5 with 2 15 mins break and 1 hour for lunch. Of course I have 45 minutes after to get to a hospital placement so I can't pray cause I'll miss the transport.
This is a tough situation i think

Salah overrides your dunya obligations such as work and study

At the time of salah, you leave the dunya, drop everything and go to your lord straight up

Maybe i can give you some fatawa about this :hmmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm sorry but you knew what you were doing when you constructed that post. I can't believe that I was tricked by you even now looking at your first post it's clear that it was all setting you up for the punchline.

I wasn't doing anything but offering advice... But if you wish to believe I had an agenda, then continue to do so. I shall know not to waste time giving serious replies to you in future then :yep:
I did in previous years but this year my timetable is literally crammed from 9-5 with 2 15 mins break and 1 hour for lunch. Of course I have 45 minutes after to get to a hospital placement so I can't pray cause I'll miss the transport.

Surely Allah would understand if you prayed in your head when you were meant to be praying if you're on public transport or something, where it's physically impossible to get out a mat and start supplicating?
Original post by Richard Dawkins.
This is a tough situation i think

Salah overrides your dunya obligations such as work and study

At the time of salah, you leave the dunya, drop everything and go to your lord straight up

Maybe i can give you some fatawa about this :hmmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought this was your atheist account?
I thought this was your atheist account?

:sigh:
Zakir is banned, ok?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Richard Dawkins.
:sigh:
Zakir is banned, ok?

Posted from TSR Mobile

:laugh:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending