Best Coffee Shops Watch

Hal.E.Lujah
  • Study Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I was wondering where everyone's favourite places to get a coffee were? We can even make a list (Yes I'm that sad).

Top TSR Coffee Shops

- Sharps
- Patisserie Valerie
-
-

Personal favourite is where I get my hair cut, Sharps in Windmill street. Not sure if I like it for the coffee or for the haircut. :ahee: Found a secret gem today though just around the corner from my house, always surprising when you find a good coffee shop nearby.

Share your favourite and I can add it to the list
queen-bee
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Omggggg pattiserie Valerie! Apparently supposed to be taking someone there soon! Haven't been in ages and he wants to try it out
Hal.E.Lujah
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
(Original post by queen-bee)
Omggggg pattiserie Valerie! Apparently supposed to be taking someone there soon! Haven't been in ages and he wants to try it out

Ooooo I know there. Don't think I've ever been in, generally speaking I see french in the name and think 'Nah'.
MrsSheldonCooper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Patisserie Valerie is LIFE. The chocolate cakes there are just :love:
Tillybop
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)
I was wondering where everyone's favourite places to get a coffee were? We can even make a list (Yes I'm that sad).

Top TSR Coffee Shops

- Sharps
- Patisserie Valerie
-
-

Personal favourite is where I get my hair cut, Sharps in Windmill street. Not sure if I like it for the coffee or for the haircut. :ahee: Found a secret gem today though just around the corner from my house, always surprising when you find a good coffee shop nearby.

Share your favourite and I can add it to the list
Hmmm...it's a tough one. Costa...wait...no...just...no :|

I really liked Fernandez and Wells - the one on Beak Street being the better one - simpler layout than the others, and more inviting. Really liked the coffee there - they had a nice machine - but can't for the life of me remember the name of it. Shame they're getting rid of their machine so that all of the stores are consistent with one another.
F1's Finest
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Patisserie Valerie?

I still need to go there!
Most Competitive
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hmm. Last Tuesday I was in Birmingham and so I got the chance to visit Patisserie Valerie. Very nice indeed!

Starbucks, however, will always be my favourite
jamestg
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Giro in Kingston upon Thames.

Starbucks tastes to me like you're drinking printer ink. Costa is not bad, but not my favourite.

Go to a coffee shop who use ethical (Fairtrade IMHO isn't ethical - the amount they get is still poor) coffee beans, have friendly staff, offer healthy food and have an inviting, warm feel.

My favourite coffee generally though is the one from the machine at home! We set up a deal with a cooperative union in Ethiopia who send us a massive bag of coffee beans every 2 months or so - and they get to keep around £50 for one bag. Yes it's more expensive, but it's way more ethical and you're not only paying them more but you're providing a secure income link as well as contributing to local developments such as schools and hospitals.
thecatwithnohat
Report 3 years ago
PAUL's is lovely - in London they're located in Kings Road, South Kensington, Holland park, you get the gist..

The one on the Kings Road is the comfiest
esjae
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The Muddy Cup

It's local and I love it, it's just got such a nice vibe to it, and I went there with my boyfriend before we got together, and the conversation we had in there led us to get together :3
Hal.E.Lujah
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
(Original post by jamestg)

Starbucks tastes to me like you're drinking printer ink. Costa is not bad, but not my favourite.
(Original post by Most Competitive)

I've got to agree to be honest, starbucks coffee tastes foul to me now. They deliberately burn the beans to create a distinctive taste, which in gourmet coffee terms means they burn away all the flavour so they can use any old beans without anyone noticing. Kinda admire the nerve to do that, but don't want to particularly drink it.

(Original post by jamestg)

Go to a coffee shop who use ethical (Fairtrade IMHO isn't ethical - the amount they get is still poor) coffee beans, have friendly staff, offer healthy food and have an inviting, warm feel.

My favourite coffee generally though is the one from the machine at home! We set up a deal with a cooperative union in Ethiopia who send us a massive bag of coffee beans every 2 months or so - and they get to keep around £50 for one bag. Yes it's more expensive, but it's way more ethical and you're not only paying them more but you're providing a secure income link as well as contributing to local developments such as schools and hospitals.
Ethical beans can be tricky but definitely worth it. Sometimes people say to me '2 pounds for a coffee is too expensive, it's such and such price here or there' to which I always reply 'Yes but it's made from slavery.' just to really hammer home the point of how much difference ethical sourcing makes.

Kudos to you man, it's good to see there is fair knowledge on how important it is. I get my beans from ethical but non fair trade jamaican places, though it's a bad time for them with heavy crop failures :sad:

Kopi coffee club do a cool scheme where they send beans around once a month. I have a mazzer at home to grind them nice and fresh.

(Original post by esjae)
The Muddy Cup

It's local and I love it, it's just got such a nice vibe to it, and I went there with my boyfriend before we got together, and the conversation we had in there led us to get together :3
I looked it up but a bit far afield for me to go visit sadly. Maybe one day
F1's Finest
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
gimmy dem coffee beans tho :sogood:
Tillybop
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Most Competitive)
Hmm. Last Tuesday I was in Birmingham and so I got the chance to visit Patisserie Valerie. Very nice indeed!

Starbucks is so awful though :puppyeyes:
SirMasterKey
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Felt certain that this was going to be about a different type of coffee shop :lol:

I don't really drink coffee either at home or out and about.
esjae
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)
I looked it up but a bit far afield for me to go visit sadly. Maybe one day
Yeah I live in the middle of nowhere aha! If you ever do end up there then let me know I'll show you some other places which do amazing coffees and milkshakes aha
Imrightyourleft
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Oh gosh, here we go again - students lounging about sipping coffee, chewing cake and talking about trendy liberal nonsense whilst giggling and thinking every topic of conversation is cool and humorous.
queen-bee
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by thecatwithnohat)
PAUL's is lovely - in London they're located in Kings Road, South Kensington, Holland park, you get the gist..

The one on the Kings Road is the comfiest
Where abouts in South Ken? I'll check it out next week. You means the Kings road in Chelsea?
thecatwithnohat
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by queen-bee)
Where abouts in South Ken? I'll check it out next week. You means the Kings road in Chelsea?
It's on Thurloe Street, about a 3 minute walk from the station. And indeed, the one in Chelsea
queen-bee
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by thecatwithnohat)
It's on Thurloe Street, about a 3 minute walk from the station. And indeed, the one in Chelsea
lol that's so close to me!
superwolf
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Me and my dad are into coffee in a fairly major way - he sometimes sends me expensive beans from a London (I think?) shop called HR Higgins, but when I want to treat myself more affordably I get deliveries from a company called Pact. Very delicious, and delivered straight to your door.

Unusual shout out to Wetherspoons as well - they do decent Lavazza coffee at really low prices. It's not the best, but it's far from the worst!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (31)
11.07%
I used to but I don't now (10)
3.57%
No, but I want to start (103)
36.79%
No, I am unable to (59)
21.07%
No, I chose not to (77)
27.5%