The Student Room Group

Elective :s

Hi, I am a third year medical student at Newcastle University. Starting to prepare for my elective, long time away I know, but just want to start deciding on location and hospital etc!

At the minute, I think I want to go to India (originating from India myself, and this will be my first trip there), but I am unsure of where the best place to go is? Of course it depends what I want from my elective, but I just want to have a general experience of medicine in India, as I believe the culture of medicine will fascinate me the most.

So yeah, anyone who has been to India for an elective, or spent time there, could you provide me some help please! ALSO, anyone who had an amazing time elsewhere, could you please contribute as well!

Thanks! :biggrin:
I know of two friends who went to AIMS (All India Institute of Medical Sciences) in Delhi. They described high tech medicine (PET scans, IVIG etc) juxtaposed with crushing poverty (3 patients to a bed, thousand-people long queues etc, doctors refused to see "dirty" patients etc). For your first visit to your country of origin it should be a real eye-opener!

My electives were in rural Tanzania (intense) and a remote caribbean island (relaxed), in case that's of interest.
Whilst all the doctors in India will be able to speak English, not all the patients will. So think about that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending