If we are more intelligent than animals...

Watch
cBay
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
If we are more intelligent than animals, then why do we have to spend a larger proportion of our day working in order to provide ourselves with life's necessities?
reallydontknow
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by cBay)
If we are more intelligent than animals, then why do we have to spend a larger proportion of our day working in order to provide ourselves with life's necessities?
We don't.

We work a lot more to get things we like.

If you lived like a caveman you'd have a lot of free time but a lower quality of life.

Posted from TSR Mobile
zippity.doodah
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
we have diverse preferences about our lifestyles, and animals don't
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by cBay)
Just because humans have a a completely different lifestyle habit in comparison to animals. We are civilized, no hunters who are living in the wild to kill and eat prey.
limetang
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by cBay)
We don't. Take food, we pay people to harvest, kill our food for us and are able to get access to that in a much shorter amount of time than animals. Sure we may spend time cooking it etc. but that's not out of necessity so much as it is because it can enhance the experience of eating.
jordanhenderson.
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by zippity.doodah)
we have diverse preferences about our lifestyles, and animals don't
Basically this. Refer to Maslow's hierarchy of needs, OP
D_ecrivaine
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well technically I could go into the woods, build a shelter, and eat roots and berries but that's not really the norm in today's society.
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by D_ecrivaine)
Well technically I could go into the woods, build a shelter, and eat roots and berries but that's not really the norm in today's society.
That is not the norm since people are civilized, changed from hunter-gatherer to people with an awareness of agriculture. It is said that there are sooome tribes in the whole world who are living after the principles of hunters and gatherers, but that is very rare.
D_ecrivaine
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Kallisto)
That is not the norm since people are civilized, changed from hunter-gatherer to people with an awareness of agriculture. It is said that there are sooome tribes in the whole world who are living after the principles of hunters and gatherers, but that is very rare.
Obviously. The point is, it's possible. We don't have to live the way we do, we are fully capable of living as simply as any other mammal.
simon_g
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by cBay)
1. as mentioned above- providing resources necessary for surviving only could be done quite easily- but almost everyone does not only want to survive, they want to live
2. Contrary to whatever you think, animals spend pretty much almost all their time to providing resources for surviving. They have no means of actually manufacturing their food (i.e. farming) so they have to either hunt or look for high-value food (like: nuts etc) or feed on the grass for most of the day (as it's pretty low value food)
NHM713
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by reallydontknow)
We don't.

We work a lot more to get things we like.

If you lived like a caveman you'd have a lot of free time but a lower quality of life.

Posted from TSR Mobile
We work because we have no choice.
simon_g
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by NHM713)
We work because we have no choice.
of course there is a choice. there is always a choice.
however, if you wouldn't your life standard would go down rapidly.
NHM713
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by simon_g)
of course there is a choice. there is always a choice.
however, if you wouldn't your life standard would go down rapidly.
...therefore you don't have a real choice.
simon_g
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by NHM713)
...therefore you don't have a real choice.
of course you have. only because the options aren't great doesn't mean that there is no choice.
NHM713
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
of course you have. only because the options aren't great doesn't mean that there is no choice.
your only saying that for argument's sake, because it has no bearing on reality. You will always choose the more favourable option.

What you are arguing is not real choice.
NHM713
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
and while we are at it neither is choosing an occupation you are not passionate about.
Greenlaner
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by cBay)
Because life's neccessities don't just magically materialise out of nowhere. Somebody has to produce them and they won't do it for nothing in return.
HigherMinion
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by cBay)

Life's necessities are acquired in moments. What humans are able to do is indulge wisely, learn and pass on that knowledge to a subsequent generation. Something animals tend not to, as they cannot write or, presumably, read.
cBay
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by D_ecrivaine)
Could you though? Somebody owns that land and those plants. At least in this country, you probably couldn't.
Coffinman
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by reallydontknow)
We don't. We work a lot more to get things we like. If you lived like a caveman you'd have a lot of free time but a lower quality of life. Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm sure if you put a TV screen and a beer stand in their cave it wouldn't be much different to a lot of peoples lives right now.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (150)
54.74%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (38)
13.87%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (31)
11.31%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (26)
9.49%
I haven't started researching yet (16)
5.84%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
4.74%

Watched Threads