The Student Room Group

Internet Trolls are sadists, narcissists and psychopaths

Scroll to see replies

I'm surprised to see the definition is actually correct. I'm so used to seeing people define troll as those weirdos who post inane, unamusing abuse on peoples twitter feeds, rather than the sheer mastery of someone trolling.

Spoiler

I think in our society we celebrate people taking the mickey, people making sure nobody takes things too seriously, and it's no surprise that people doing it online are just as prolific. Except online is online!!1!!! so people act like it's going to lead to stolen bank details or something. But in reality it's a way in which as a society we see where we draw the line on what is acceptable and what is not. You could even argue it's akin to books and art that explore similar limits to what is socially acceptable.
(edited 9 years ago)
Seems about right.
Reply 3
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
I'm surprised to see the definition is actually correct. I'm so used to seeing people define troll as those weirdos who post inane, unamusing abuse on peoples twitter feeds, rather than the sheer mastery of someone trolling.

Spoiler

I think in our society we celebrate people taking the mickey, people making sure nobody takes things too seriously, and it's no surprise that people doing it online are just as prolific. Except online is online!!1!!! so people act like it's going to lead to stolen bank details or something. But in reality it's a way in which as a society we see where we draw the line on what is acceptable and what is not. You could even argue it's akin to books and art that explore similar limits to what is socially acceptable.

Oprah has been trolled. Lol. That last part of what you said isn't making sense really.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Bump
Reply 5
It seems to me that, that study strongly correlates 25% of the people on this website.
Trolls are nutters and time wasters. Don't see the point in wasting time writing insults to other people.
Reply 7
Original post by sunnydespair
Trolls are nutters and time wasters. Don't see the point in wasting time writing insults to other people.

Do you see the point in killing someone just for the pleasure of it?
Reply 8
Original post by miacat
It seems to me that, that study strongly correlates 25% of the people on this website.

There's no way you have had interactions with 25% of the people on this site, since there are over a million members. So this is just a *insert random statistic here* claim.
Reply 9
The ones who take it too far are. The ones who abuse others just to get a reaction are subhuman, but the ones who post contrary political or social opinions for the sake of it are no different to controversial comedians.
Everyones trolled at least once in their days on the internet, no one can make the claim they've never insulted someone or never done something that would be considered trolling - so shush and refrain from making self righteous comments, it's true that repeat trolls are sadists but a lot of the time they are just very bored people with a lot of spare time.
Reply 11
Original post by Arkasia
The ones who take it too far are. The ones who abuse others just to get a reaction are subhuman, but the ones who post contrary political or social opinions for the sake of it are no different to controversial comedians.

Please tell me, where exactly did you arrive at the conclusion that they are "subhuman"?
Original post by Arieisit
Please tell me, where exactly did you arrive at the conclusion that they are "subhuman"?

Look up hyperbole, then get back to me.
Reply 13
Original post by Dilmurod Dilmu
Everyones trolled at least once in their days on the internet, no one can make the claim they've never insulted someone or never done something that would be considered trolling - so shush and refrain from making self righteous comments, it's true that repeat trolls are sadists but a lot of the time they are just very bored people with a lot of spare time.

I have no idea if you're making a jab at me or others on the thread so please identify who you are addressing when you say "refrain from making self righteous comments"

You're making claims without proof? How do you know that's how trolls come about?
Reply 14
Original post by Arkasia
Look up hyperbole, then get back to me.

I know what hyperbole is, it's just that, on this thread, it would be considered trolling, ironically, since this is a serious thread.

Do you want to be our example troll on this thread?
They seem to be over-analyzing the troll phenomenon somewhat. Most trolls are bored and/or juvenile individuals who feel like being inflammatory (or amusing) because they have nothing better to do or anything better to offer. Even I troll from time-to-time. Why? Because it's the internet, and not everything has to be taken seriously. Most authors of troll posts would never exhibit this behavior in public.

Most full-time trolls aren't sadists, I don't think. They're just immature douchebags.
I know what hyperbole is, it's just that, on this thread, it would be considered trolling, ironically, since this is a serious thread.

Do you want to be our example troll on this thread?

Considering we call these people 'trolls', I don't think you have any room to claim the high-ground in this scenario, or are you suggesting these people sit under bridges all day, if you want to take everything so literally?

It's not black and white

Internet trolls can be good intentioned people's whose views are classed as offbeat therefore they are classed as trolls even though they may not be.

Another scenario is that so called trolls are just playing devils advocate. They realise that giving someone an opposing view just makes them more stubborn and stronger in their conviction so they take the other persons view into absurdity to try to illustrate that it's an absurd view.

For example someone suggesting that that we should celebrate Black History Day, they may suggest White History Day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
There's no way you have had interactions with 25% of the people on this site, since there are over a million members. So this is just a *insert random statistic here* claim.

Who says I was being serious? :wink:

Lighten up a little.
It really depends upon what you mean by trolling, now I'm aware that the article has a definition but I'd say it's wider than that. A lot of trolling can be viewed as harmless joking around though it is all done to get a response in some form or another so perhaps there are conclusions we can draw about that about trolls and trolling being unhealthy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending