The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE or Cass for Actuarial Science?

Have offers from both and I've heard these are the best schools to do Actuarial Science at. How do I decide between them?
Original post by SIndar
Have offers from both and I've heard these are the best schools to do Actuarial Science at. How do I decide between them?

A good time for you to apply some Actuarial Sc sense ... which has the higher probability and historical record of success and higher recognition. Answer is pretty obvious.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by SIndar

LSE's one of the best schools for actuarial science? - False. The best institutions for actuarial science are Heriot Watt in Edinburgh, University of Waterloo in Canada & Cass, in London.You could argue that 'best' is a relative term. Fair enough. These are the institutions that are deemed to be the best by popular opinion.

LSE has a far better reputation as an academic institution than Cass - not for actuarial science though. Cass has got the world's largest faculty of actuaries and has some of the industry's finest personnel. Many of the core textbooks that you'll be learning from at LSE (and Cass) are written by lecturers teaching at Cass.

Sent from my iPhone
(edited 9 years ago)
LSE obviously. It crushes cass!
Original post by Sidhant Shivram
LSE's one of the best schools for actuarial science? - False. The best institutions for actuarial science are Heriot Watt in Edinburgh, University of Waterloo in Canada & Cass, in London.You could argue that 'best' is a relative term. Fair enough. These are the institutions that are deemed to be the best by popular opinion.

LSE has a far better reputation as an academic institution than Cass - not for actuarial science though. Cass has got the world's largest faculty of actuaries and has some of the industry's finest personnel. Many of the core textbooks that you'll be learning from at LSE (and Cass) are written by lecturers teaching at Cass.

Sent from my iPhone

I've actually applied to all those schools but I haven't heard back from Waterloo yet. I know Cass is better for Actuarial Science but I am an international student and I'm not sure how well-known Cass is in my country.
Original post by SIndar
I've actually applied to all thocse schools but I haven't heard back from Waterloo yet. I know Cass is better for Actuarial Science but I am an international student and I'm not sure how well-known Cass is in my country.

As an example, LSE and UCL Economics research may be rated better than Oxbridge but it won't change perception of Oxbridge reputation. And since one doesn't learn everything one needs at university I would rather go for reputation. I would go LSE.
Original post by GandalfWhite
A good time for you to apply some Actuarial Sc sense

"Actuarial science sense"? What are you on about?

Original post by GandalfWhite
... which has the higher probability and historical record of success and higher recognition.

"Probability of success"? I presume you've made this valuation of "probability of success" of LSE actuarial grads and have shown that this figure is higher than that of Cass', then, cos I haven't come across anything of that sort previously.
Original post by Sidhant Shivram
"Actuarial science sense"? What are you on about?

"Probability of success"? I presume you've made this valuation of "probability of success" of LSE actuarial grads and have shown that this figure is higher than that of Cass', then, cos I haven't come across anything of that sort previously.

Dear OP, indeed, Cass has a venerable reputation for Actuarial Science and may even be better than LSE for success in an actuarial career. But, you will be missing out on saying ... 'I am from LSE' ... and from enjoying the oohs and aahs of those listening, lol. Since employers will not fault you for being from LSE instead of from Cass, my guess is that it is worth taking the 'risk'. And, congratulations to those going to Cass for Actuarial Science, a great university for that course. LSE is not everything, seriously. But, LSE has lots to offer too, beyond academics.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending