The Student Room Group

Biology - the eye

Hello, I'm really struggling to understand / find an answer to these questions about the eye, and I was wondering if anyone can help me, please?

1. Name the two types of light receptor found on the retina.
2. The response of the eye to bright light is a reflex. Suggest why it is an advantage to have this response of controlling the action of the eye.

Thank you very much~ :smile:
Original post by IAmYourIdiot
Hello, I'm really struggling to understand / find an answer to these questions about the eye, and I was wondering if anyone can help me, please?

1. Name the two types of light receptor found on the retina.
2. The response of the eye to bright light is a reflex. Suggest why it is an advantage to have this response of controlling the action of the eye.

Thank you very much~ :smile:

1) Rods (most abundant- do not detect colour) Cones (detect colour, focused in the centre of your eye)
2) The pupil is constricted when bright light is shone into the eye, this prevents the light receptors and nerves from being damaged
Reply 2
Original post by shiva300
1) Rods (most abundant- do not detect colour) Cones (detect colour, focused in the centre of your eye)
2) The pupil is constricted when bright light is shone into the eye, this prevents the light receptors and nerves from being damaged

Thank you very much! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest