The Student Room Group

Just done a UKCAT Test !

Hi all,

I've just done a practice UKCAT test. This is my first time to take it. I got an average of 560. I know that is not good but considering its my very first time and I guessed the second section.

So what can I do to improve? What books do you recommend? I'm also going to take the BMAT so any advise would be great

Thanks alot
Omar
The Kaplan practice book is great :smile: just practice each section and learn the tips and hints they have in the books. Timings are thé most important thing! It doesn't matter if you're amazing at the questions if you can't answer them under timed conditions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by theboss1998
Hi all,

I've just done a practice UKCAT test. This is my first time to take it. I got an average of 560. I know that is not good but considering its my very first time and I guessed the second section.

So what can I do to improve? What books do you recommend? I'm also going to take the BMAT so any advise would be great

Thanks alot
Omar

Why are you practicing so early? You'll run out of resources. There is only so much prep you can do for ukcat.

To improve keep practising (but bear in mind there are limited resources and its not really something you can revise like the bmat). There are many books, the 600q book or ukcat for dummies. There are lots of free questions online if you google. Medify

Practice your mental maths and basic maths skills (bbc bitesize). Read newspaper articles, textbook pages, short stories/book chapters and get used to summarising the key points, the tone of the author, the point of the article.
Thanks for the advice, but which books are the most important for me? I heard that 600q book was amazing for some and the kaplan was good for others.

Original post by ForestCat
Why are you practicing so early? You'll run out of resources. There is only so much prep you can do for ukcat.

To improve keep practising (but bear in mind there are limited resources and its not really something you can revise like the bmat). There are many books, the 600q book or ukcat for dummies. There are lots of free questions online if you google. Medify

Practice your mental maths and basic maths skills (bbc bitesize). Read newspaper articles, textbook pages, short stories/book chapters and get used to summarising the key points, the tone of the author, the point of the article.

I will follow your advise and I hope it will help me get good points in my UKCAT
Thanks for the advice, but which books are the most important for me? I heard that 600q book was amazing for some and the kaplan was good for others.

I will follow your advise and I hope it will help me get good points in my UKCAT

TBH they're all fairly similar, you just have to find what works for you. 600q might be a bit out of date. Plus you're also best to wait and see if they make any changes to the ukcat this year.
Hi all,

Thanks alot
Omar

bad idea, youre starting ridiculously early.
This worked wonders for me. Had a lot of tips and shortcuts that made everything so much more simple! Before practising with this I was getting maybe 500, whereas after this, in my actual UKCAT I got 722.5 average :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think starting early is a problem, by the time the exam roles round you'll have forgotten all the questions anyway and be able to use the same resources a second time!
Original post by RachelDawn
I don't think starting early is a problem, by the time the exam roles round you'll have forgotten all the questions anyway and be able to use the same resources a second time!

so whats the point of doing it the first time...
Because you learn by doing and by deducting, not by learning all the answers off by heart and hoping that the exact same questions come up again! I hope not anyway! :P
Thanks every body. I just wanted to have a go and see how good I'm doing. Anyway, I will be starting preparation after AS exams. I will have a look and buy the books recommended.

Any more advises would be appreciated.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending