The Student Room Group

If I screw up the Alevels im currently doing then go do completely different alevels

Basically if I screw up my exams (get Bs) for AS maths further maths physics and biology this year and decide to retake AS levels but in completely different alevels such as philosophy, chemistry, government and politics and psychology and get the grades for them required by cambridge to study philosophy, is there still a chance I can get into cambridge? Or will Cambridge frown at the fact I repeated alevels? If that won't work, what if I retake the subjects I screwed up as well as the new subjects and get As in them too?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
As far as I'm aware repeating is looked down on by a lot of top unis, I know resitting is certainly disliked by a lot of them. You'd need a damn good reason for deciding to just stop doing this year's A-levels too.
Original post by PVonShroeder
Basically if I screw up my exams (get Bs) for AS maths further maths physics and biology this year and decide to retake AS levels but in completely different alevels such as philosophy, chemistry, government and politics and psychology and get the grades for them required by cambridge to study philosophy, is there still a chance I can get into cambridge? Or will Cambridge frown at the fact I repeated alevels? If that won't work, what if I retake the subjects I screwed up as well as the new subjects and get As in them too?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know Cambridge's exact policy, but I highly doubt they'd appreciate the resits, even if it's for different subjects. For most top universities, even if you gain the highest grades with your resits, there will always be other candidates with the same grades, or higher, that they gained with the first sitting. Therefore, you'd have a very small chance of gaining an offer, unless there was a really good reason for resitting. It is unfortunate that you haven't chosen the best AS levels for philosophy, but the best thing to do is continue them and go from there - resitting in any form will disadvantage you at most top universities, and at Cambridge you would have basically no chance.
But I'm not even applying to cambridge with the subjects I might not do so well in.its like if I applied to study English lit instead of pure math degree and resit social science alevels instead. Ppl who are good at English lit may not even have a clue about math. They aren't related. But I have no idea but what if I just not apply to uni with the original subjects and pretend I didn't do anything this academic year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I actually have a medical reason and that is brain damage from brain injury. Is that good enough? Cambridge says on their website medical reasons are accepted and I have all the medical evidence needed

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
But I'm not even applying to cambridge with the subjects I might not do so well in.its like if I applied to study English lit instead of pure math degree and resit social science alevels instead. Ppl who are good at English lit may not even have a clue about math. They aren't related. But I have no idea but what if I just not apply to uni with the original subjects and pretend I didn't do anything this academic year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sorry but you would still have to let them know about those qualifications, how related those subjects are does not matter. If you pretended you didn't do anything this year they would find out you had lied to them and you would not receive an offer/would have any offer revoked.

I'm sorry to hear about your medical issues, but you would be best talking to a school guidance or progression councillor about that, as I wouldn't know.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They would find out about the resits, and you'd probably get rejected for hiding information.

I actually have a medical reason and that is brain damage from brain injury. Is that good enough? Cambridge says on their website medical reasons are accepted and I have all the medical evidence needed

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think the person who writes your reference should include this, but I'm not completely sure. UCAS might still wonder why you're changing subjects though, rather than simply resitting the original set, unless your medical condition made you change subjects, for some reason.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Every university will consider your case differently depending on their experience with students who switched subjects during sixth form.

If you're currently taking your AS but are considering switching subjects then contact the universities offering the subject you want to study and ask them SPECIFICALLY to comment on your case. If there are relevant medical reasons for switching direction then mention those too.

Noone on TSR can answer this with any authority and most university websites will not contain an answer specific to your case - you need to get an answer directly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending